wadezky

Gunbroker.com worth it??

Hey all, newbie here....been looking at Gunbroker.com for a couple things I want but I wanted the opinion of some of you that know way more than I do....is it even worth it? After paying for shipping and then an FFL, it seems kind of pointless. Again, I'm no expert but I know what I want (S&W 686), but haven't seen any pricing that's any better than what I can buy from walking into a store. Has anyone got a great deal or anything? I'd like to know if it's worth it to even keep checking. Thanks in advance.

Gunbroker is a useful tool to locate and get firearms that are in limited supply.  My FFL charges a reasonable transfer fee and is not the least concerned about it when he cannot locate or deals with what I wish to purchase.  Of course the law of supply and demand dictate price so hot items will always command a premium.  But, if price is not the primary concern, then Gunbroker fills a specific need.  It also allows you access to a much larger used marketplace connecting buyer with seller. A much cheaper option than visiting store after store looking for that needle in a haystack.

I'm all for supporting the local guy, I'm still in my "30 days til my next gun limbo", but wanted to start looking and pricing now so that I can just get it when the clock is reset.

I didn't think I saw any listed on here, but being new to the site I could have totally missed it.

I realize I'm not going to get one for $200 or some outrageously low price from that website, but I figure any money I can save is better than nothing. Hopefully someone on this site has one.

TBill, price isn't a real big concern and I honestly haven't even walked into any of my local stores to check inventory. It's one of those things where I know exactly what I want so I went on there to see pricing. The cash isn't an issue, rather spend it on a good gun than a crap one, but any money I can save will pay for ammo.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

However, you can find some good deals on GB once in a while. And it's good for those hard to find locally items.

I know in my head I'm sure I'll buy here in NJ, I'm just wondering if it's worth the time and effort to even go to that site. I don't think a 686 is a rare gun that I'll have trouble finding, just started there because it was like 9pm and no stores are open, so shop online.

You can score really good deals off of gunbroker. I scored my vepr about $300 cheaper then I've seen anywhere else. Like others said sometimes you will pay more for a hard to find gun but again you found it and if you want it then jump on it. I got my 686+ from remixer for a good price

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know in my head I'm sure I'll buy here in NJ, I'm just wondering if it's worth the time and effort to even go to that site. I don't think a 686 is a rare gun that I'll have trouble finding, just started there because it was like 9pm and no stores are open, so shop online.

The best prices you will find online for guns is Kentucky Gun Company and Buds Gun Shop. KGC is usually a few bucks cheaper than BGS. Either way it gives you an idea of what a good deal is on the gun you are looking for. I always use them as a baseline and shop off of those numbers. Sometimes their prices after shipping and NICS/Transfer fees is so good that I just buy from them.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I bought my 686+ from Buds Gun Shop.

• Like 2

The best prices you will find online for guns is Kentucky Gun Company and Buds Gun Shop. KGC is usually a few bucks cheaper than BGS. Either way it gives you an idea of what a good deal is on the gun you are looking for. I always use them as a baseline and shop off of those numbers. Sometimes their prices after shipping and NICS/Transfer fees is so good that I just buy from them.

Checking Buds now and also going to do the request thing that PK90 suggested on here. Thanks

When you use the internet to purchase with on-line vendors you really need the support of a NJ FFL who is willing to accept and complete your purchase at a reasonable price or all is lost on the receiving end.  Make sure you have such a FFL who you can do business with.  There is a list on this board of FFLs and their transfer fees, check it out.

When you use the internet to purchase with on-line vendors you really need the support of a NJ FFL who is willing to accept and complete your purchase at a reasonable price or all is lost on the receiving end.  Make sure you have such a FFL who you can do business with.  There is a list on this board of FFLs and their transfer fees, check it out.

That's why I'd rather shop local, hell even if I have to drive an hour.  I'd rather give whatever money I'd be charged for the FFL to a dealer in NJ.  There are a couple near me (I'm in Delran) that are $25-$30 and others that are $75 just for the FFL....I'd much rather just buy in NJ and have the local guy get that money.

I submitted a price request thru this website as PK90 suggested....and apparently I did it like 10 times, so I'd like to apologize to those that get it and think "this guy's an a-hole".  I'm not.  Just a newbie that was doing that from his phone and when I thought I was frozen and kept hitting submit, I was actually submitting.  Bigtime apology, totally my bad....I deleted from my messages all of the duplicates but I don't know if that deletes them from the dealers also.  Tried to fix it, don't know if I succeeded.  Thanks for the heads up PK90!

I always try to find local first, then KGC, Buds and www.slickguns.net. I never bought local because price difference was from quite big to huge comparing to other deals. This includes ammo.

I submitted a price request thru this website as PK90 suggested....and apparently I did it like 10 times, so I'd like to apologize to those that get it and think "this guy's an a-hole".  I'm not.  Just a newbie that was doing that from his phone and when I thought I was frozen and kept hitting submit, I was actually submitting.  Bigtime apology, totally my bad....I deleted from my messages all of the duplicates but I don't know if that deletes them from the dealers also.  Tried to fix it, don't know if I succeeded.  Thanks for the heads up PK90!

No Problem, but I think you broke it. PM sent.

I think there is one for sale on the forum. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a good price. It's always nice to support the local guy.

Yes it's mine cheap and in excellent shape.  

For the firearms your LGS sells, if they sell it, buy from them IMO - even though his in store price may be a few bucks more than what you can buy for on Buds - you don't pay the transfer fee -

I'd not hesitate to use Buds for free shipping alone - GB seems to always be a wash once you add shipping cost ($25-35 usually) PLUS the FFL fee - again if its something obscure or rare or a great deal go for it, but thats about all I'd use it for

I've bought, sold and even traded over 50 firearms on GunBroker and can tell you that if you look hard and be patient good deals do come along. You have to figure in FFL transfer fees and S&H but can still come out ahead especially if you are in the market for a used firearm.

If you are in Central or North jersey I highly recommend Legend Firearms (Ira), great guy to do business with if you need a transfer or are looking for something.

Getting the best deal and supporting brick and mortar shops in state are two different things.

When you solely focus on the best deal and do not support your local shops....those shops don't stay in business and go away.

What happens then?

Well you might have saved 30 bucks....

Transfers are not free, most FFL's in NJ charge $20-$30 for a transfer (plus NICS). They are still making money.

I hate dealers who have the nerve to complain about customers ordering online if they (customer) can find it cheaper, yet those same dealers agree to do transfers. You have stores like Zeus in South Jersey that charge (NICS not included) $50 for a used long-gun and $100 for a new long-gun (they determine what is "new" or "used") just to discourage online/mail order purchases and to have you from them.

I understand buying local to support the small brick and mortar shops (or kitchen table FFL's) but in this economy I shop wherever I can get the best deal. The dealer still makes money for simply logging it into the A&D books and calling me to come in to fill out the paperwork/pickup the gun. So even though I rarely buy local I still support the businesses with transfers.

can someone give a person brand new to gunbroker a breakdown of how it works? assume i find an item i want (ar rifle) and i have a dealer in mind (though i've never shopped there before). what is the process? the listings say the FFL must call or email them with their FFL #. do you just go to the store and tell them you want to buy something from GB and have it shipped there and leave it up to them to contact the seller? then for payment i assume GB has a checkout system like paypal or credit card? after that it ships, i go to the dealer, do the nics dance and pay the transfer fee? anything i should watch out for?

can someone give a person brand new to gunbroker a breakdown of how it works? assume i find an item i want (ar rifle) and i have a dealer in mind (though i've never shopped there before). what is the process? the listings say the FFL must call or email them with their FFL #. do you just go to the store and tell them you want to buy something from GB and have it shipped there and leave it up to them to contact the seller? then for payment i assume GB has a checkout system like paypal or credit card? after that it ships, i go to the dealer, do the nics dance and pay the transfer fee? anything i should watch out for?

It's eBay for guns. Read the listings and be careful. Payment can be CC right through GB or snail mail, or direct to the ffl. Some ffls are register with GB, u pick them from the ship menu and it's on the way to them. Sometimes your ffl isnt listed and they ask for a direct email from them with the ffl license. Call your ffl and they will take care of it. Go to your ffl pay transfer fee, NICs and ur done.

Not much to worry about when buying from ffls, but private sales it's just like eBay so be careful.

• Like 1

I bought a rifle off gunbroker last week.

After reading all the terms, I bought the gun. The seller didn't have a checkout system, so I called them up and paid via phone. I sent a copy of the FFL info over via fax, with my name, phone number, item specifics, and gunbroker listing number on it. Thats about it.

Few days later it got to my FFL, filled out the usual paperwork, and walked out with a new toy.

Saved over $100 by going on gunbroker, even with shipping and transfer fees. Considering I have bought 8+ firearms from that same dealer, plus plenty of ammo and accessories, I'm not gonna feel too bad bout this...

Whoever said its like ebay for guns is 100% correct, except theres a few extra steps and often an extra 3% fee for using a credit card. And you can't get the most fun toys delivered to your house...

• Like 1