Lambo2936

SHTF Med Kit for EOTW scenarios?

Hey all. I realize a few posts down there is a similar topic going on, but im looking for something a bit different. Id like to put together a med kit (backpack size or so) containing just about everything id need in a SHTF scenario. Not necessarily zombies or a nuclear strike, but lets say WW3, or tornado and someone breaks a leg or whatever the hell might happen in the future. Unlikely, but id like to have a go bag setup with medical equipmeny other than just bandaids and neosporin. Any suggestions? Doesnt have to be crazy high end, im not looking to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. A premade kit is fine, maybe even preferred. Saw this on lapg but sure what you get is worth what youre paying

http://www.lapolicegear.com/efa-fa138-trauma-3.html

If you have any suggestions or must haves for med kits, please share!

Gauze, medical tape, band-aids, scissors, anti bacterial wash and cream, burn cream, some wraps, and ice packs. Maybe some quick clot. Beyond that, there is little you can do without medical training (that would actually help rather than hurt). I also recommend that you get a book on first aid, and consider taking a class. Especially before you go crazy burning money on stuff.

You would be surprised at the wide range of scenarios that the above mentioned stuff can take care of. You can add a tourniquet if you like, but I am not a fan of them, especially if you have no advanced medical care available to you.

Be advised that this jives with my level of training and what I am comfortable with. If I were to go through more training, my list may change. 

You should also have an assortment of sutures and know how to use them. If your MD is reasonable, and you tell him what you are putting together,

he could help you out with some prescriptions for Cipro and a couple other antibiotics as well as a vial of Lidocaine to numb prior to stitching.

Morphine Sulfate or Oxycontin or Oxycodone would also be nice but much harder to find.

Some of the common antibiotics can be purchased at a pet store. They sell the same ones for fish. It says "not for human consumption" on the bottles but

it's the same stuff. You can get the sutures on Ebay, they will be expired, but so what! They are still sterile and they still work. Get that kit and some Qwick Clot

then add the other stuff I mentioned as you can.

When all else fails, color of your choice thread and couple good upholstery needles. And a bunch of tampons, kotex and/or some of those new expandable hole wound kits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friend of mine holding a class in CT.  https://www.facebook.com/events/1782687855334572/

The Emergency Life Saver Course taught by XSA International, LLC is a course taught off many of the basic principles taught in Department of Defense Combat Life Saver courses. The course is an introduction to Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures that better translate into the tactical environment. Students will learn a primary and secondary assessment that will streamline the way they approach casualty care management in austere or hostile environments. 

This course is highly recommended and specifically adapted for police officers and concealed carry permit holders. 

Within this Course:
*Essential Antomy & Physiology
*Primary & Secondary Assessment
*Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK)
*Self Aid/Buddy Aid
*Scenario Based Learning
*American Red Cross CPR/AED Cerification for participants

This event is a 2 day course. It includes classroom and scenario based learning. Each student learns the basics of Tactical Combat Cacualty Care (TCCC) and receives their certificates for CPR/AED from the American Red Cross valid for two years.

About the Instructor:
XSA International, LLC owner and lead instructor Chris Stoehner is a former Navy Corpsman (FMF/Combat Medic Marine Corps) and is an expeditionary veteran of the recent Global Wars on Terror. Since leaving the Navy Chris has spent countless hours attending courses of the best practices in the industry and serving alongside industry leaders as a reserve police officer at the Lake Arthur Police Department in Lake Arthur, New Mexico as a Tactical EMS Sergeant. In his 13 years of armed service he has learned that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and teaches across the United States educating Armed Professionals in best practices concerning Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC), Close Quarter Battle (CQB), and advanced shooting tactics.

Cost: ONLY $379!

To reserve a spot there are two options...
1. Pay in full
2. Put down a $150 non-refundable deposit. 

**** EARLY REGISTRATION DISCOUNT***
Only $339 if registered (paid in full), by June 30! 

Paypal avaiable to:
[email protected] 

Send checks payable to "Chris LaCava" to
Holistic Healing & Martial Arts Center
1015 Bridgeport Ave.
Milford, CT 06615

I tend to buy my stuff from Rescue Essentials (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/).

For SHTF, consider iOSAT pills if you think a dirty bomb or Fukushima like event is possible (http://www.anbex.com/)

Cipro has multi uses.  I've been keeping a stock after the 2001 Anthrax attacks.

You will never be able to carry enough stuff for what you are describing. If your backpack is full of all of this medical gear, where are you carrying your food, water, shelter, and bullets?

Your best bet is to carry stuff for common injuries and illness and have a plan to scavenge - Pharmacies, surgical supply, big-box, veterinarians offices, farms, nursing and assisted living facilities, etc...

Make friends with a Dr and keep a set of kit for them so you can co-opt them to your family.

You may also need to come to terms with the fact that some injuries and illnesses that were easily treatable and cured yesterday are now a death sentence for the patient, and possibly the entire party, if you don't cut them loose. Triage will take on a whole new meaning with an entirely new set of standards in the world you are trying to prepare for.

You will never be able to carry enough stuff for what you are describing. If your backpack is full of medical all of this gear, where are you carrying your food, water, and bullets?

Your best bet is to carry stuff for common injuries and illness and have a plan to scavenge - Pharmacies, surgical supply, big-box, veterinarians offices, farms, nursing and assisted living facilities, etc...

Make friends with a Dr and keep a set of kit for them so you can co-opt them to your family.

You may also need to come to terms with the fact that some injuries and illnesses that were easily treatable and cured are now a death sentence for the patient and possibly the party if you don't cut them loose. Triage will take on a whole new meaning with an entirely new set of standards in a world you are prepared for.

literally every part of this is 100% truth, as proven by the walking dead

• Like 1

HE, i have an F150 with a DCU cap on the bed. My hopes are that i will be able to hold on to it, at least long enough to get to a somewhat less populated area. Unlikely, but thats what id hope for. Of course an EMP strike would render it useless, but so would a traffic jam.

I intend on getting some level of medical training eventually. If shtf, a medical book and decent basic gear is much better than nothing, though.

Although everyone would like to be prepared for SHTF, the way more likely scenario is someone getting into a bad auto accident or accidentally getting shot at a range (if not yourself then someone else for both scenarios). You can be prepared for this with not that much training or equipment. Gun For Hire gives a number of courses including CPR/AED, first aid, and treating gun shot wounds. A wilderness survival course would be the next level up.

I tend to buy my stuff from Rescue Essentials (http://www.rescue-essentials.com/).

For SHTF, consider iOSAT pills if you think a dirty bomb or Fukushima like event is possible (http://www.anbex.com/)

Cipro has multi uses. I've been keeping a stock after the 2001 Anthrax attacks.

Not sure where id get cipro, and im not really in a small town area, my dr wouldnt risk giving me scripts unless i absolutely needed them.

That being said, regarding the iosat pills, how many would you suggest having on hand per person? I dont know how long itd take me to evacuate if needed. I live with my fiance and daughter, but our families are 30 mins away in the same town and thats like 15 more people, haha.

Although everyone would like to be prepared for SHTF, the way more likely scenario is someone getting into a bad auto accident or accidentally getting shot at a range (if not yourself then someone else for both scenarios). You can be prepared for this with not that much training or equipment. Gun For Hire gives a number of courses including CPR/AED, first aid, and treating gun shot wounds. A wilderness survival course would be the next level up.

You are 100% correct. In both of those scenarios, a phone call and relatively short wait results in trained professionals coming to help you. On the other hand, in a SHTF scenario, there wont be anyone to pick up when you call, or anyone to respond for that matter. So, id rather a trauma pack for GSW's than the more practical stuff, as stupid as that may sound.

That said, ill probably take my LAPG range bag and use that to make a med kit with a trip to walmart to get the basics; bandages etc. And then get other stuff later on. Good excuse to upgrade to a slightly larger range bag.

Not sure where id get cipro, and im not really in a small town area, my dr wouldnt risk giving me scripts unless i absolutely needed them.

That being said, regarding the iosat pills, how many would you suggest having on hand per person? I dont know how long itd take me to evacuate if needed. I live with my fiance and daughter, but our families are 30 mins away in the same town and thats like 15 more people, haha.

The Iosat pills come 14 to a blister pack. They are 130mg each and one pill will protect one adult from Thyroid cancer for 24 hours. The dosage for children is lower. So figure at least one pack

per person. I think I have 12 packs in my kit.

As for the Cipro. "Fish Flox" is Cipro and I believe available in normal human 500mg pills from pet stores. Fish Mox is also available and is Amoxicillin, another widely used broad spectrum antibiotic.

Stuff is available, you just have to search for it.

Here is a link for Potassium Iodide Tablets, 130 mg (14 Tablets) For $6.60

The dosage is 1 tablet per day for up to 10 days.

"Iosat Potassium Iodide has been FDA approved since 1982. Stockpiling of potassium iodide (KI) is highly recommended by health officials worldwide to prevent thyroid cancer of those exposed to radioactive iodine following a nuclear reactor accident or detonation of a nuclear weapon. Radioactive iodine can travel hundreds of miles downwind, such as it did after the Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters. The thyroid is the only part of the body that absorbs and stores iodine. By taking FDA approved potassium iodide prior to exposure of radioactive iodine, your thyroid will become saturated with safe, stable iodine. This will prevent your thyroid's absorption of any additional iodine (radioactive or not) long enough for the radioactive iodine inhaled or ingested to be safely dispersed through the kidneys."

"Potassium iodide should be taken as soon as possible after public health officials tell you.  You should take one dose every 24 hours.  More will not help you because the thyroid can "hold" only limited amounts of iodine.  Larger doses will increase the risk of side effects.  You will probably be told not to take the drug for more than 10 days."

Thanks for the info about the fish stuff as well as the link to cheaper pills, thats awesome; i was hesitant as they were like twice the price through the first link provided.
I'll Probably order 10 packs or so later this week.
As for the fish antibiotics, i'll probably order some online from drfostersmith as well to keep on hand; i didn't know it was the same crap, thats quite funny. I Guess if you're going to die its better than nothing, haha.

To reinforce what HE said above, you may only be capable of holding off death a bit longer. Gunshot wounds (GSWs) are just one type of emergency that would normally require a medevac for surgical intervention.

Nonsense, carl is fine and he got shot twice, LOL.

Yes i realize its unlikely id be able to save someone with a serious wound, but itd be nice to at least try.

Yes i realize its unlikely id be able to save someone with a serious wound, but itd be nice to at least try.

That's fine as long as you realize you are wasting the lion's share of your limited resources (soap, fresh water, antibiotics, bandages, sutures, painkillers, food, etc...) on a single event that is most likely a lost cause.

The supplies you use attempting to save one person from a gunshot wound could be used to treat a dozen other minor injuries that are more survivable/recoverable.

If you have access to a critical care facility with personnel capable of treating and rehabilitating the patient and are merely stabilizing a serious injury in the field in order to get them to a higher lever of care, that's one thing.

But, honestly ask yourself, other than temporarily stopping the bleeding, what are you going to be able to do to treat a gunshot wound?

Would those supplies be better put to use down the road treating a laceration, a broken bone, an illness?

Your futile attempt at saving a life may condemn someone to death from an otherwise treatable condition.

You are prepping for real life, not a movie.

I'll echo what's been said above, a couple of trauma kits (tourniquets, pressure bandages, chest seals, a blast bandage etc) plus a well stocked set of the basics (gauze, bandages, triangular bandages, bandaids, tape, neo, saline, I like the band-aid brand wash for easy sterilization and cleaning, tweezers, EMT shears, steri-strips etc) will serve you best. If you buy a large premade kit you better know how to use everything in it or its of limited value unless you happen to run into an MD on the road (unlikely). Alpha and Omega Solutions has a great trauma 1 and 2 course (check my AAR in the training section) but I'd recommend basic first aid and CPR to start if you've got nothing else. As some mentioned GFH has a decent beginners trauma class as well. Take a class or 2 and then build your kit. A&O let's you play with a ton of different trauma equipment so you can decide what works best for you. Some is really nice and cheap unless you need to apply it to yourself. At that point you better have something else or you're going to die. The stuff us relatively expensive, there is no point in buying crap and having to rebuy, or worse not knowing until you try to use it. Good luck.

I think the you need to consider scenarios other then the zombie apocalypse.

Long term power emergencies, severe economic downturns, pandemics, wars,  etc all of those are not really end of the world scenarios, and while not as likely as a car crash are far more likely then confronting the shambling undead.  Also in a lot of those scenarios you are not going to turn to foot travel with your 3 day pack. In fact most likely emergencies will force you in your house, not out of it.

Besides the already mention wound care things in various formats, general disinfectants, alcohol gels, lots of soaps, are probably very important to general hygiene. A way to dispose of human waster is also a health concern. Antibiotics, while over used, are such an essential part of modern treatment of infections that it would be dangerous to ignore long term, assuming they will still work. Basic over the counter painkillers to deal with all the aches and pains of hard life and multivitamins to deal with any nutritional shortages. Gloves, of all sorts should be in piles, both work gloves to avoid cuts and damage, and examination type gloves to avoid contact with things you don't want to touch or shouldn't touch. Emergencies tooth ache kits with contact pain killers and cavity patches. Things that deal with chaffing, powders and lubricants both. Benadryl in large quantities and itch relief medications. 

I guess my point is there is more to medical emergencies then dealing with getting stabbed by nomad road warriors.

As others have said, you can't carry literally everything you'll need for a series of medical emergencies

One single event can go through an amazing amount of supplies

I was second or third to pull up on a car / pedestrian  accident a  couple of years ago

A passing doctor had stopped just ahead of me.

She went through her car kit, I went through mine, and additional responding officers threw their med bag contents towards the effort before the ambulance arrived

The guy pulled through but I heard he was never back to his old self.

My car bag is this container ( not purchased from here, just an example )

http://uspreppergear.com/combat-lifesavers-medical-bag/?gclid=CjwKEAjwkui7BRCf64DNtfDupgoSJAA_0LOoobW6wH3usnP2Q2Mt_5GSWsIcpV2JWoxIza8Rlyih6BoC1mrw_wcB

Each subpocket is labeled with the major contents of that pocket.

Gauze in one, ashermans in another, for instance

Leaves a lot of guesswork out when you're under pressure

Outside of the bag has my name and the last inspection date ( annual inspection )

At a major event when multiple peoples medical stuff is on the ground you want your bag to get back to you......

BOB med kit is substantially smaller and basically just a glorified GSK with some other small med stuff added...

I think the you need to consider scenarios other then the zombie apocalypse.

Long term power emergencies, severe economic downturns, pandemics, wars,  etc all of those are not really end of the world scenarios, and while not as likely as a car crash are far more likely then confronting the shambling undead.  Also in a lot of those scenarios you are not going to turn to foot travel with your 3 day pack. In fact most likely emergencies will force you in your house, not out of it.

Besides the already mention wound care things in various formats, general disinfectants, alcohol gels, lots of soaps, are probably very important to general hygiene. A way to dispose of human waster is also a health concern. Antibiotics, while over used, are such an essential part of modern treatment of infections that it would be dangerous to ignore long term, assuming they will still work. Basic over the counter painkillers to deal with all the aches and pains of hard life and multivitamins to deal with any nutritional shortages. Gloves, of all sorts should be in piles, both work gloves to avoid cuts and damage, and examination type gloves to avoid contact with things you don't want to touch or shouldn't touch. Emergencies tooth ache kits with contact pain killers and cavity patches. Things that deal with chaffing, powders and lubricants both. Benadryl in large quantities and itch relief medications. 

I guess my point is there is more to medical emergencies then dealing with getting stabbed by nomad road warriors.

I'm fully aware of this, haha.

The walking dead seems to be the Go-To EOTW scenario that i use as an example, though, as it is the first thing that pops up; not a war with a nuclear-weapon-equipped nation or an EMP blast.

I'll certainly be stocking up on a lot of what you mentioned. I Live in a mobile home so unfortunately having a small emergency septic tank and the likes is out of the question, though i could get a small waste water tank under the home and nobody would ever really know.

Thanks for your input!

BTW; my assumption is that one would still be able to scavenge for certain supplies. I am only trying to keep on hand enough supplies to be self sustaining for a few months, if that. Odds are, i wouldn't survive longer than that; if i did, i'd be able to hit up pharmacies for what they have left, or rummage through abandoned homes.

You're absolutely right with the fact that i'd be more likely to get stuck IN my home, so i'll certainly be stocking up on soap and such. I've been contemplating picking up a small generator, and will probably do so when i find a good deal on one. I'd LIKE to find some sort of water storage solution to keep some water on hand. My home has 3'+ clearance underneath, so i have plenty of space for something low profile. The issue would be keeping it somewhat sterile/clean. I Suppose i could somewhat regularly replace the water, or just fill storage tanks or whatever up when i see shit hitting the fan; odds are if i fill tanks before things go way south there will still be flowing water; not too many people will be rushing to use up water.

As far as powdered anti-biotics go, unless you know how make them into suspensions you're not going to be treating anything efficiently. And its not as simple as mixing it with water either (generally a little distilled water is added to bring it to the final volume).

But if you're dead set on having them on hand, this is what I would stock:

Penicillin/Amoxicillin

Metronidazole/Fluconazole

Ciprofloxacin/Levofloxacin

Macro-bid

Sulfamethoxazole&Trimethoprim 800mg/160mg

Uses:

The cillins are broad spectrum anti-biotics, but they're also the most common drug allergy. The Zole's are for fungal and yeast infections. The floxacins are a bit more complicated, but they can treat chest infections, STAPH and MRSA. Macro-Bid (Nitrofuratonin/Macrodantin monohydrate) is for UTI's (generally co prescribed with Pyridium). Sulfa based drugs are the second most common drug allergy and can be used to treat UTI's and similar infections.

Dosing:

Cillins- 500mg three to four times a day based on the severity of the infection. Child dosing is a little more complicated because of the calculations involved Metronidzole- 500mg twice to three times a day for the severity of the infection. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH THIS MEDICATION!!!!! You will vomit, you will dehydrate, it will suck.

Fluconazole- 150mg once daily for maximum of three days. Generally only one day, but if symptoms persist 24 hours after initial dose then another dose can be given.

Levofloxacin- 500mg once daily for 7 to 10 days.

Cipro- 500mg twice daily for 10 days

Macrobid- twice daily for 10 days

Sulfa/TMP- 800/160mg twice daily. Do not exceed two times per day, as excessive dosing may cause severe side effects

For sutures, hit amazon, get a cheap suture kit, practice pad and sutures and watch some youtube. Its not hard to follow, but its an art that takes a bit of practice not to screw up.  

As far as powdered anti-biotics go, unless you know how make them into suspensions you're not going to be treating anything efficiently. And its not as simple as mixing it with water either (generally a little distilled water is added to bring it to the final volume).

But if you're dead set on having them on hand, this is what I would stock:

Penicillin/Amoxicillin

Metronidazole/Fluconazole

Ciprofloxacin/Levofloxacin

Macro-bid

Sulfamethoxazole&Trimethoprim 800mg/160mg

Uses:

The cillins are broad spectrum anti-biotics, but they're also the most common drug allergy. The Zole's are for fungal and yeast infections. The floxacins are a bit more complicated, but they can treat chest infections, STAPH and MRSA. Macro-Bid (Nitrofuratonin/Macrodantin monohydrate) is for UTI's (generally co prescribed with Pyridium). Sulfa based drugs are the second most common drug allergy and can be used to treat UTI's and similar infections.

Dosing:

Cillins- 500mg three to four times a day based on the severity of the infection. Child dosing is a little more complicated because of the calculations involved Metronidzole- 500mg twice to three times a day for the severity of the infection. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH THIS MEDICATION!!!!! You will vomit, you will dehydrate, it will suck.

Fluconazole- 150mg once daily for maximum of three days. Generally only one day, but if symptoms persist 24 hours after initial dose then another dose can be given.

Levofloxacin- 500mg once daily for 7 to 10 days.

Cipro- 500mg twice daily for 10 days

Macrobid- twice daily for 10 days

Sulfa/TMP- 800/160mg twice daily. Do not exceed two times per day, as excessive dosing may cause severe side effects

For sutures, hit amazon, get a cheap suture kit, practice pad and sutures and watch some youtube. Its not hard to follow, but its an art that takes a bit of practice not to screw up.

I'd rather die than take levaquin again. Doctors don't agree but that shit messed up my hand big time

Awesome collection of tips here. Thanks to all who contributed!

I see Cipro mentioned a few times and I'd like to take the opportunity to emphasize the importance of knowing what's in your kit. I took Cipro last summer for food poisoning and was functionality crippled within 3 days due to the well-documented reaction that some people have where it depletes connective tissue. It took me months before I could resume strenuous physical activity to the level I was previously. If it were a SHTF scenario, I would have been useless and dead in no time.

In short, study the side effects of anything you stock.

• Like 1

Everyone should know how to suture. And have some on hand. Gun shows usually have at least one table selling the stuff. I'm lucky Mrs. DeerSlayer works in the medical field, she brings stuff home from work on occasion for my kit. Pharmaceutical samples often find their way into my stockpile.