Sign in to follow this  
gfl216

Bottom Ejecting Shotguns

My brother is in the market for an inexpensive HD shotgun. Due to being left handed he would prefer a bottom ejecting gun. Other than the KSG what other shotguns eject from the bottom? Also are there any Semi auto shotguns that eject from the bottom?

The BPS or M37 are two modern pumps that will fit the bill. 

Featherlight = steel

Ultralight = aluminum

The re-introduced Ultralight was discontinued some years ago and will be harder to find than a Featherlight. 

The Remington 105 CTi is the only domestic bottom-loading, bottom-ejecting semi-auto shotgun I know of, and it was an abysmal failure for Remington. 

Get a used Ithaca 37. Fantastic all steel bottom feeding/ejecting shotgun.

A properly working Ithaca 37 is a perfect defensive shotgun. I'm actually making one, now...

My father had a Ducks Unlimited version, which he picked up with a cracked stock. Could not find a replacement, so I picked up an identical gun with a good stock and swapped them.

Have a Boyds set awaiting me at home, and going to have Rose Action Sports take the barrel down to 19"-20" range (after I check function). It is a ribbed barrel, so going to have it machines down to a rib mount to look somewhat correct. They are going to thread it for Remington chokes, since I predominantly use them for hunting.

When all said and done, I'm going to try to have CCR redo the shotgun. Was either going to plate the entire thing, or Parkerize the larger parts and plate the smaller ones.

It is just an awesome design. So simple in operation. But if you strip down the receiver, you get the same feeling of quality as if you held a stripped Garand receiver... made to last.

• Like 1

A properly working Ithaca 37 is a perfect defensive shotgun. I'm actually making one, now...

My father had a Ducks Unlimited version, which he picked up with a cracked stock. Could not find a replacement, so I picked up an identical gun with a good stock and swapped them.

Have a Boyds set awaiting me at home, and going to have Rose Action Sports take the barrel down to 19"-20" range (after I check function). It is a ribbed barrel, so going to have it machines down to a rib mount to look somewhat correct. They are going to thread it for Remington chokes, since I predominantly use them for hunting.

When all said and done, I'm going to try to have CCR redo the shotgun. Was either going to plate the entire thing, or Parkerize the larger parts and plate the smaller ones.

It is just an awesome design. So simple in operation. But if you strip down the receiver, you get the same feeling of quality as if you held a stripped Garand receiver... made to last.

You should search the 'net for a used smoothbore Deerslayer barrel. They can be found for less than $200. Would save you the expense of cutting a good barrel. 

Just to pile on the enthusiasm, Ithaca 37! I have a 1974 and the action is as smooth as butter.

Be advised, models prior to 1975 can "slam fire" if you keep the trigger pulled when pumping. Also note that earlier models (late 1950's) do NOT have interchangeable barrels.

Just to pile on the enthusiasm, Ithaca 37! I have a 1974 and the action is as smooth as butter.

Be advised, models prior to 1975 can "slam fire" if you keep the trigger pulled when pumping. Also note that earlier models (late 1950's) do NOT have interchangeable barrels.

The barrel change came in 1963 for S/N's before 855,000, where the barrels are headspaced and fitted to the individual receiver. For post-855,000 S/N's the barrels should interchange, but there were are some differences in machining practices through time since the change of manufacture from Ithaca, NY to King's Ferry, NY (Model 87) then to Sandusky, OH.  

• Like 1

You should search the 'net for a used smoothbore Deerslayer barrel. They can be found for less than $200. Would save you the expense of cutting a good barrel.

Then I lose the look, sight option, and choke tubes that I want... I took a lot of the stuff off the donor gun and replaced parts on my father's to give him the best shotgun. Since the furniture on it is cracked, I'm swapping out for walnut and making a nice throwback shotgun.

For added info on Ithacas, there are two action arm assembly setups; classic and deluxe. The deluxe is more along the lines of hunting styled furniture, that extends past the action tube on both sides. The classic is the common corn cob look, which does not extend far past the tube. Can't put the corn cob forend on the deluxe assembly. Don't know how pissed I was to find that out tonight.

Then I lose the look, sight option, and choke tubes that I want... I took a lot of the stuff off the donor gun and replaced parts on my father's to give him the best shotgun. Since the furniture on it is cracked, I'm swapping out for walnut and making a nice throwback shotgun.

For added info on Ithacas, there are two action arm assembly setups; classic and deluxe. The deluxe is more along the lines of hunting styled furniture, that extends past the action tube on both sides. The classic is the common corn cob look, which does not extend far past the tube. Can't put the corn cob forend on the deluxe assembly. Don't know how pissed I was to find that out tonight.

Forend attachment hardware changed over the years: http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Ithaca-Model-37-forend-tube-and-forearms/detail.htm?lid=15900

Don't know why everybody trys to reinvent the wheel.

Ithaca 37 feather light.

All steel Ultimately reliable. (one of the shotguns used in Viet Nam)

Can be had in decent shape for about $350

Like Parker said the 20" smooth bore deerslayer is the cat's ass with fiber optic sights.

Everybody said it all, early model slam fire which may be preferable or not.