Bully

Springfield Mil-Spec Experimental Prototype #1

I went and bought a parkerized Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 45ACP. It looks just like the stock picture from the interwebs that I will include here. The pistol is very nice but on the rough side once it's opened up which is fine as it's a project pistol for me. 

The plan, such as it is, is to "upgrade" it over time(the upgrades are to my taste, no one else's). I'm not going to go crazy but I do want to try my hand at putting something together that I will enjoy tinkering with and shooting a good bit. I am going to try and do everything myself on this. 

Planned mods:
Replace arched MSH with magwell and blend
Checker front strap at 15 or 20 lpi
Replace short "GI" trigger with a flat
Cut frame tangs and install "Beavertail" grip safety
Modify hammer to fit GS
Replace thumb safety
Cut slide for Novak style sights, fiber optic front and rear
Flush cut and crown barrel
Smooth out machining marks internally to include the trigger channel and slide

This is going to be a very slow progression. I'll start on the relatively easy stuff first. I'll tackle the harder stuff as my skill level progresses both with files and on my new to me mill. I'm sure this will start off with some decent progression pics and then slow down as life takes over. Additionally I am saving for a trip to N.C. next year to take a Bob Marvel class so my funds are even more limited. 

Let's see how this goes...

post-4086-0-16098300-1467240555_thumb.jpg

MSH is in but needs some attention for sure.

I have grips on the way as well. A pair of Derwood's I picked up from a member on a different forum. Hopefully they'll be here by Monday. And I can run some rounds thru this.[/color

post-4086-0-26084900-1467240713_thumb.jpeg

post-4086-0-79867500-1467240732_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm reminded of the Smoky and the Bandit song: We've got a looooooooong way to go... But, it's a start. And I'm learning. I'm certainly learning more than if I sat on the couch or spent even more time staring at my computer. So, I'm gonna keep learning. My way for now. Hopefully Mr. Marvel doesn't have too many bad habits to break. 

I'm going to clamp it in my vise tonight and start working on it with some sandpaper to hopefully smooth it pretty well.

Did a touch more work to the pistol. I got some sandpaper and started smoothing out the edges. I also added a full length guide rod.

Now, I know that the reasons to have one are as many as the reasons to not but I happen to like them. Yup, I ise a bushing wrench to break the pistol down. That doesn't bother me. So, it's in there.

I took the pistol to the range yesterday. Ran about 200 rounds thru it. The gun will, when I do my part, hit steel at 50 pretty consistently. I'd love to say that it ran flawlessly but that would be a fib. I had some issues with the pistol. However I was shooting ammo that I originally made up for my 45acp revolver and they are fairly light loads. So, I'll load some full house loads and give it another whirl in the next couple of weeks. All in all, I really like this guy. I think I'll like it even better when I get it where I want it functionally and cosmetically.

post-4086-0-38904900-1467241011_thumb.jpeg

sweet project Christopher.  after fitting an EGW barrel bushing on my 1911, this is a project I'd like to get around to eventually.

which grip safety are you going with?  if I'm not mistaken one mfg (can't remember who) makes them with a radius to fit mil-specs better than others to reduce the bottom gap

Sounds super cool ! Post lotsa pics in the thread.

Thank you.  I plan on it.  

sweet project Christopher.  after fitting an EGW barrel bushing on my 1911, this is a project I'd like to get around to eventually.

which grip safety are you going with?  if I'm not mistaken one mfg (can't remember who) makes them with a radius to fit mil-specs better than others to reduce the bottom gap

I believe it's Smith and Alexander that makes a .220 that fits the Mil-Spec a bit better.  I'll call them tomorrow and get the scoop.  They're awesome to deal with and are, believe it or not, from NJ.  

C

Chris - Are you going to get rid of that ugly spur hammer and replace it with a Commander style?

No.  I'm going to cut the spur down so it works with a beaver tail.  At least that's the thought at this time.

I got a bit more work done on the pistol.

I got the trigger in. No real fitting required however a trigger track stone is for sure in my future.

The thumb safety I purchased is a mil-spec style. I thought it was a "tactical" style as I didn't read the ad very well. I snagged anEd Brown from my stash and used it instead.

The mag catch is a Wilson. I banged my thumb up a while ago and the extended paddle really helps me when dropping the mags. So, I use it.

post-4086-0-09843800-1467808339_thumb.jpeg

post-4086-0-46573400-1467808357_thumb.jpeg

post-4086-0-92762100-1467808368_thumb.jpeg

I think Wilson Combat makes a drop in beavertail.

I believe you are correct however I would like a better fit than the drop ins offer. I won't get it to Business End Customs level but it should be close to a factory fit. Thank you for the heads up.

Thanks Vlad. I have both the 220 and 250 jigs for the grip safety. I just did my Foster frame so I'm pretty comfy chopping on a pistol frame.

I actually like the spur hammer. If I can make it work I will. If not off she comes. At that point I'll replace everything with Harrison TR stuff.

Crappy night last night. Work thing. I don't usually get bummed about work stuff but this one got to me. So, in light of that chose to back off fussing with the TS and instead just smoothed out the extractor. It's was sticking out the back of the slide by a bit so some files and sandpaper got it looking better. Still work to do but it's started.

post-4086-0-48490100-1467903327_thumb.jpeg

Another mod I did to mine was the Marvel disconnector cut/slot on the bottom of the slide.  Gives the disconnector a "ramp" instead of a hard hit from the breechface.  Took about 30 minutes of some careful filing then a little polishing.  Only affects the first round slide drop but eliminates the slight stall and any wear down the road. 

Slab Sides, I've considered it but the disco is an easy replacement. The slide, not so much. Sothe consensus is: We'll see.

Rob0115: please be careful in your use of the "G" word.

Slab Sides, I've considered it but the disco is an easy replacement. The slide, not so much. Sothe consensus is: We'll see.

Rob0115: please be careful in your use of the "G" word.

LOL.  

So, the plan was to start on the grip safety. However my local food emporium had one of my favorite bottles of wine on the shelf. 

I cracked it at 2pm. Working on a pistol is maybe not the best idea. So I'm not gonna do it. It'll wait until tomorrow evening. I also am gonna hit the range tomorrow morning so it's a good thing that it's a functioning pistol. At least for now. 

Buenos noches!!!

The nut and bolt arrangement is a jig for filing the tangs to approximate dimension.

The purple dye is "Dykem".

Apply. Let dry. Install the grip safety. Wiggle it. Remove. File the high spots. Repeat.

• Like 1