sroc112

Quality Leather Holsters

Looking for a well made leather holster for my Sig m11-a1. I'm not quite into the plastic Blackhawk type. Not sure if I want inside waist or outside.

Been looking at Galco but seems every single model is on back order. Any other suggestions?

Leather holsters wear down and can become unsafe.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

You may want to go with a Kydex/Leather hybrid holster.  

Alien Gear makes a good holster.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/sig-p229.html

FYI - You may want to search for P229 holsters as the M11-A1 is essentially a Sig P229 without the rail.

• Like 1

If the operative words are "quality" and "leather" then you want to go with a custom maker.

Top of my list is Milt Sparks...

http://www.miltsparks.com/

Also impressive: TT Gunleather...

http://www.ttgunleather.com/

and Sam Andrews...

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

There are many other quality custom makers out there. I have experience with these three (among others). But be prepared to wait and pay - quality does not come quickly or cheaply. Just think how much you paid for the gun - reminds me of the old Bell Helmet ads that asked the question. "Got a $10 head? Buy a $10 helmet."

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a simply rugged defcon 3 for a commander sized 1911 --  I wear it around the house since it's the only place I'm allowed

Don't even know it's on

It can be worn outside the waistband, inside, or even cross draw  --  I where it outside 

remember that the key to a good holster is a good belt -- I wear a wilderness instructor everyday

While I do have a couple of SERPA holsters for my Px4, not all kydex holsters are "serpa style".  The push button retention is Level 2 retention on the SERPA.

I have 2 Comp-Tac holsters for my M&P 9L that use passive retention and hold the gun in just fine for USPSA/IDPA/3Gun use.  Same with my Blade-Tech for my S&W 686 Revolver.

For Concealed Carry, I use a Hybrid Kydex/Leather holster.  The leather part is what contacts my body which keeps it more comfortable, while the kydex part holds the gun with passive retention.

You will need to tailor your holster choice to what you're doing with the gun - there's no one size fits all type holsters.... well, there are but they're just bad holsters.

So for those who stay clear of leather due to the reasons listed in the first response, is the serpa styles usually the go to?

I have to disagree with Nick - A well-made leather holster won't reach that condition unless abused or mistreated - or maybe carried for 20+ years everyday. If you want leather, get leather - good leather. All my carry holsters are leather. All my competition holsters are Kydex (Blade Tech). I will agree with Nick's last statement.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

n568eq.jpg

Leather holsters wear down and can become unsafe.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

You may want to go with a Kydex/Leather hybrid holster.

Alien Gear makes a good holster.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/sig-p229.html

FYI - You may want to search for P229 holsters as the M11-A1 is essentially a Sig P229 without the rail.

I disagree with the blanket statement. That Galco holster in the link looks like it's been abused. Did the guy roll it up to put it away? He should have been paying more attention to his equipment. What weight trigger does he have in his Glock? Just because the website is called "itstactical" doesn't give them the final word AFAIC. I have leather holsters over 30 years old I use on a regular basis that are still "safe". All depends on the quality and design of the holster. The DeSantis Speed Scabbard I use for a j frame is about 35 years old and still is "safe". I've been carrying on a daily basis for over 40 years.

I've seen kydex holsters that can snag on the trigger when holstering. Pay attention to your equipment and you will be okay...even if you use an "unsafe" leather holster.

Agreed - it looks like that holster there was not kept well... And yes, I did kinda make a blanket statement...  You fudds have more experience with leather than I do :)

Whoa! Watch your language. I'm not a hunter and not a gun game boy. Referring to me as a fudd is insulting even if you put a smiley face at the end. You really have little idea of my background and what I do. Just because we're old doesn't mean we don't know stuff.

^LOL.

Nick- I believe I'm younger than you and I think you know I'm no FUDD considering I bought an AR from you. The majority of my holsters are leather, only two are not. A remora pocket holster and a kydex j frame holster from Titan. Just because were not all tacticool tech nerds dose not make us FUDDS. Personally I find plastic holsters are ugly and uncomfortable. leather looks nice (especially exotic leathers), feels nice, and is still a good material choice for a holster. Just as others have said as long as its a quality holster and maintained properly it will last for years. My S&W M19 holster is leather and from 1956, still in perfect and safe working order.  

Can we assign a citizens warning point?

For all of my guns I have combination holsters like others have said they are a great Balance of comfort and retention. I have one leather holster for my "BBQ gun". It's a Galco for my 686 and it's honestly kind of shitty but it was also like $30.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can we assign a citizens warning point?

For all of my guns I have combination holsters like others have said they are a great Balance of comfort and retention. I have one leather holster for my "BBQ gun". It's a Galco for my 686 and it's honestly kind of shitty but it was also like $30.

4492778.jpg

I have to disagree with Nick - A well-made leather holster won't reach that condition unless abused or mistreated - or maybe carried for 20+ years everyday. If you want leather, get leather - good leather. All my carry holsters are leather. All my competition holsters are Kydex (Blade Tech). I will agree with Nick's last statement.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

n568eq.jpg

What brand for leather do you prefer?

Thanks for making the graphic for me already. Now let's use it

a9499c7466ab12f770ca0f3fd7db5088.jpg

15fad1e15a2f66578c162ec94d07b948.png
You sir just went up a point in my book as well. Well done. Alright let's stop this chatter and find OP a holster

What brand for leather do you prefer?

See my initial post (#4). Four of the six holsters in the photo are Milt Sparks. And just because I like revolvers, I'm no FUDD, Nick.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

^LOL.

Nick- I believe I'm younger than you and I think you know I'm no FUDD considering I bought an AR from you. The majority of my holsters are leather, only two are not. A remora pocket holster and a kydex j frame holster from Titan. Just because were not all tacticool tech nerds dose not make us FUDDS. Personally I find plastic holsters are ugly and uncomfortable. leather looks nice (especially exotic leathers), feels nice, and is still a good material choice for a holster. Just as others have said as long as its a quality holster and maintained properly it will last for years. My S&W M19 holster is leather and from 1956, still in perfect and safe working order.

Leather or kydex has nothing to do with tacticool. Kydex has legitimate advantages in some situations. Military use is one. If you get a leather holster wet it will take days to fully dry. Kydex you just have to wipe dry. Having carried sidearms in interesting places in the military I'd say kydex wins in that application. Kydex sucks for concealment IMO. I never saw a Kydex OWB holster that didn't leave the gun sticking out from your side compared to comparable leather. IWB will work because you have your pants and belt blending the holster in. Kydex will get hot and uncomfortable unless you have leather on the inside.

The popularity of kydex was brought on by the introduction of Fobus holsters. The main reason is they are cheap in price compared to leather. The much lower costs of material and manufacturing processes mean they can be sold cheaper.

They are 12-18 weeks out for delivery, that stinks.

How is desantis?

Any quality holster maker will have a long lead time. Sparks has a few dealers - Top Gun being one of them. They get shipments of holsters for common guns on a regular basis  - being that your M11A1 is a P228 variation, they may get in one to fit it. Worth a call if that's what you want.

GRIZ - Fobus holsters are cheap, but they aren't Kydex - they are some type of injection molded polymer (polyethylene maybe?). Kydex is a thermoset sheet molding polymer. You're right about various applications, although I think body type has more to do with how a gun carries rather than holster material.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Want a good leather concealment holster? In case you haven't heard me say it before try a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. You can get it with or without a thumb strap. I prefer the one without. It holds the holster very secure as it is. The Mini Scabbard does the same for smaller guns.