Ficus

Buying a lower as a pistol

Say I wanted to buy a stripped AR lower as a pistol. Would I need a p2p or like in any other state could it just be transferred as "other" and be built that way. This is all hypothetical anyway. I was just wondering about it and couldn't find any sort of answer.

Yes, you need to use a PPP

I have in my safe a stripped polymer lower purchased on a PPP for future use in replacing one of the Carbon 15 lowers (in case of failure) that make up my NJ-legal AR15 pistols.

Just a little insurance for 'Thunder' and 'Lightning' :gaming:

Never mind, I got it :( those Extars actually look pretty interesting. Is it possible to just buy the upper receiver and BCG ? I see the carrier is different, but does it use a standard bolt ?

The buffer and bolt are incorporated together.

Yeah the Extar has a proprietary Bolt Carrier/Buffer system that's completely encapsulated in the upper.  You can't switch it out for a standard bolt.

The only other NJ Legal AR pistol is the Carbon 15 which has a proprietary bolt/buffer/Spring too.

Yeah the Extar has a proprietary Bolt Carrier/Buffer system that's completely encapsulated in the upper.  You can't switch it out for a standard bolt.

The only other NJ Legal AR pistol is the Carbon 15 which has a proprietary bolt/buffer/Spring too.

Actually, there were 4 NJ legal mass produced AR pistols.

Professional Ordnance Carbon-15 (discontinued)

Bushmaster Carbon-15 (discontinued)

Olympic Arms OA-98 (discontinued)

Extar EXP556 (as modified by Estrella Ordnance)

• Like 1

Actually, there were 4 NJ legal mass produced AR pistols.

Professional Ordnance Carbon-15 (discontinued)

Bushmaster Carbon-15 (discontinued)

Olympic Arms OA-98 (discontinued)

Extar EXP556 (as modified by Estrella Ordnance)

I stand corrected.  I tend to lump the POF and Bushmaster Carbon-15's together but I didn't know about the OA-98...

The ProOrd (pre-Bushy) and Bushy Carbon 15 use standard bolts, but proprietary carriers, recoil springs, buffers and buffer tubes

The buffer tube has a long plastic pin inside on which the long skinny recoil spring rides

The combined length of the carrier and buffer is the length of a standard bolt carrier

The barrel nut requires a special tool to remove and replace, making barrel swap to change calibers not feasible

A bit off topic, but this is a serious question from a Newb.
Is there any sort of real need for an AR pistol? I realize that, according to liberals at least, all firearms are unnecessary, but what draws people to an AR pistol? I'd imagine it to be a beotch to shoot, as well, having no butt stock or anything.

Don't mean to bash; just a legitimate question. Ejukate me please.

In many states that allow CCW, the license/permit/etc... only applies to pistols.

If you have an AR pistol, you can CCW it, including in your vehicle - even in states that prohibit the carrying of loaded long guns in cars.

In those states though , their AR pistols can look like this:

4560CF78-4825-4428-AD1E-4201597B0B5E_zps

A pretty capable little "CCW" piece for when you are driving.

In NJ I don't see the allure of the neutered version we are stuck with.

• Like 2

HE, id love to have something like what you shared as a truck gun/HD rifle. My house is, literally, like 500sqft. Clearing it with a full sized AR or 12g is impossible, so im stuck with a HG which can be an issue if i am awoken in the middle of the night and cant get to my glasses. In the dark, even at the 25-30' from my bed down the hallway to the front door, its an issue. Id like to believe a rifle with a red dot or even tritium equipped acog like that on my NJ compliant AR would be amazing.

Its a "mobile home" (basically permenantly stuck to the ground unless you have serious equipment to pick it up, remove all the blocks and straps, and then go), and 2 or 3 missed shots might kill the neighbor across the street. The ones to the right are good people, so id rather not hit them or their kids. The one to the left isnt too nice, but assuming im firing towards the door as an intruder steps in, its going to the right a bit. No bueno, which is why i put #7 shot in my 12g. Wont kill someone immediately, but theyll be cursing at the hospital as a few hundred pellets are removed from inside em LOL

Edit: actually, from only 20-25 feet away it might do more damage than i think. I wish i had a place to test out various HD rounds for penetration. Range 14 doesnt allow much.

HE, id love to have something like what you shared as a truck gun/HD rifle. My house is, literally, like 500sqft. Clearing it with a full sized AR or 12g is impossible, so im stuck with a HG which can be an issue if i am awoken in the middle of the night and cant get to my glasses. In the dark, even at the 25-30' from my bed down the hallway to the front door, its an issue. Id like to believe a rifle with a red dot or even tritium equipped acog like that on my NJ compliant AR would be amazing.

Its a "mobile home" (basically permenantly stuck to the ground unless you have serious equipment to pick it up, remove all the blocks and straps, and then go), and 2 or 3 missed shots might kill the neighbor across the street. The ones to the right are good people, so id rather not hit them or their kids. The one to the left isnt too nice, but assuming im firing towards the door as an intruder steps in, its going to the right a bit. No bueno, which is why i put #7 shot in my 12g. Wont kill someone immediately, but theyll be cursing at the hospital as a few hundred pellets are removed from inside em LOL

Edit: actually, from only 20-25 feet away it might do more damage than i think. I wish i had a place to test out various HD rounds for penetration. Range 14 doesnt allow much.

there is no reason why you couldn't defend yourself in a 500ft mobile home with an AR thats 16" or better yet, pinned from 14.5" to 16".   with the proper ammo, over penetration could be minimized, plus like you said, with a red dot, you are more likely to hit the person than miss, which is the most important factor.  

• Like 1

there is no reason why you couldn't defend yourself in a 500ft mobile home with an AR thats 16" or better yet, pinned from 14.5" to 16". with the proper ammo, over penetration could be minimized, plus like you said, with a red dot, you are more likely to hit the person than miss, which is the most important factor.

This.

I have had no issues clearing small homes/trailer homes with a 16" rifle from the SWAT side, I can't imagine defense would be any harder. You just need to choose your Ammo appropriately and learn the proper techniques for moving is small spaces with a riflegun.