diamondd817

FID card required for Gunsmith work?

So, I brought a couple of my pistols to a local gun shop for to get some gunsmithing done. I was told I need my FID card to check my pistols in for work. Is this a legal requirement or just the businesses policy that adds more BS on top of NJ gun laws?

P.S. I lost my FID and am waiting for a replacement, hence the reason I didn't have it on me.

What smith is it? Did you ask them why they require it?

RTSP. I did ask the girl at the counter why, but she just kept saying she had to log it in to their book. I was in a rush and didn't have the time to get into it. Anyway, it wasted my time and pissed me off enough that I won't step a foot back in there. I really don't have the patience anymore for NJ gun stores that add unnecessary requirements onto their customers on top of NJ's already ridiculous laws.

They do have to log it into a repair book that is also checked during a state inspection. They were looking for a nj relatable identification for the bound repair book

I think you are making a huge deal.out of nothing. ....

And what happens if you don't have an FID card? No repair work allowed? Please elaborate. Will a NJ driver license suffice?

Yes to the best of my knowledge..... I have witnessed an inspection, twice and both times the repair book was checked.

It had both DL AND FID info....no problems

That being said it most likely IS company policy to utilize an NJFID as the primary identification means. However imo a NJDL would be good as well.

That being said, for ME AND ME PERSONALLY I would not transport a handgun anywhere in this state without at a minimum my fid in me. I usually also have a copy of the purchaser permit as well. I am not citing law....I am stating what I do and nothing more... :)

I did have copies of my PP on me for the pistols I wanted to drop off. That never came up. Shouldn't that be an option too? FID or DL or PP?

Your fid number is on the PP no? Lol

I don't see a problem nj dL pp numerous with fid.... log it into the book and do the work....

I hasten to ask what you need done....if you need help pm me.... :)

We are 7 min from CR.... just sayin

I know. I had work done by you/old school on my gen4 Glocks. I also bought a Remy 597 when I was there that day. The work needed is for the newly released connectors for my Glock 42 & 43.

I bought the 42 & 43 from RTSP and just figured it would be easier to let them replace the connectors.

Yes, my FID number is on my PP. Which brings me to another point. I bought these 2 pistols there, along with about another 10 or so pistols. They have all my information in their files and database. But them/her looking up my info didn't seem like option.

They do have to log it into a repair book that is also checked during a state inspection. 

What happens to the repair books when a business closes?   Are they typically destroyed, or do they have to be turned over to the state?

Or does NJ get a record of the transaction in real time, or in an annual report or something?

I really do not know, just *assuming* it is turned in as well when the biz closes.  I have not experience with that.....

There are no real time transaction for repairs, but the log is kept for inventory in the shop, what is in for transfer, sale/consignment and repairs.

The inspection for the repair book consisted of the nj sp flipping through it, not really reading it, just looking for data such as DL fid, name etc. 

Where's Paul (PK90) when you need him?

I thought I heard (could be wrong) after 90 days of closing all records destroyed.

If the gunsmithed gun in question is kept overnight, it gets logged in. If the work is done the same day and the gun is given back, no logging in is required. I never requested a FPID, only a Government issued ID.

When I closed up shop in NJ, the Acquisition & Disposition, Assault Weapon and Gunsmithing Books, were turned into ATF, as well as all 4473s. The State did not want anything, not even the COEs. They were destroyed by me.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, I also seem to recall a thread about the AW book being BS - seems it isn't........... :)

Not BS, but what goes into it is user discretion. Shhhh.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

You don't need a gunsmith to work on a Glock. There is no difference between you or a gunsmith. You both have hands, eyes and a small pin punch, that is all you need to do anything to a Glock. 

• Like 1

You don't need a gunsmith to work on a Glock. There is no difference between you or a gunsmith. You both have hands, eyes and a small pin punch, that is all you need to do anything to a Glock.

I can do all my own gunsmithing on my Glocks. The problem here is that Glock will only ship the new connectors to a Glock armorer and to be installed by said armorer as of right now. Serial numbers of pistols have to be called into Glock by the armorer before they will ship them.

FYI, these are for the new "improved" 33564 connectors for the Glock 42 & Glock 43 (they use the same connector).

So, I brought a couple of my pistols to a local gun shop for to get some gunsmithing done. I was told I need my FID card to check my pistols in for work. Is this a legal requirement or just the businesses policy that adds more BS on top of NJ gun laws?

P.S. I lost my FID and am waiting for a replacement, hence the reason I didn't have it on me.

Peter from RTSP is on this forum. Message RTSP1 and ask him if your FPID card number is good enough. Explain that you lost your physical card.

So, I brought a couple of my pistols to a local gun shop for to get some gunsmithing done. I was told I need my FID card to check my pistols in for work. Is this a legal requirement or just the businesses policy that adds more BS on top of NJ gun laws?

RTSP. I did ask the girl at the counter why, but she just kept saying she had to log it in to their book. I was in a rush and didn't have the time to get into it. Anyway, it wasted my time and pissed me off enough that I won't step a foot back in there. I really don't have the patience anymore for NJ gun stores that add unnecessary requirements onto their customers on top of NJ's already ridiculous laws.

Hello! I'm the one who dealt with you for the gunsmithing work. FID card is store policy. Let me paint a scenario:

You come to pick up your firearm, and for some reason NJ has taken away your FID (domestic violence, etc). In that case, your ability to possess firearms in the state of NJ would be revoked. You would not be able to pick up your firearm then. That would lead to storage fees, etc on top of the gunsmith work. This is why we ask for FID at check in. In your case, you lost your FID, so you wouldn't be able to pick up your firearm until you presented it.

Additionally, had I known about your specific problem before you stormed off, I could have ordered a part for you, as I am a Glock armorer. I try my best to accommodate people. I hope you frequent our store again when you get a new FID. And again, have a great day!

Well that then is very odd and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.... if she was too lazy to look up your info based on what you stated above...maybe you need to find another .....place to shop.

Granted Joes shop is not anywhere remotely near or close to what they are.... but if you love quirkly...well then.... :)

As stated above, yes, the info is in our system, but unfortunately without physical proof of the FID, we can't check them in, as they can't be checked back out. I hope this clears up any confusion...

What exactly is in this book? Compliance work? Since no NJ AWs have been registered since the ban

You rang a bell in my head and i remembered several threads on this AW Black Book from a few yrs ago, one I started http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/65747-ffls-are-compliant-guns-going-into-aw-book/?hl=%2Bblack+%2Bbook and my thread references the first one but I believe most of the AW BB references are toward the end and my thread is a continuation. lots of talk about the AW BB.

Hello! I'm the one who dealt with you for the gunsmithing work. FID card is store policy. Let me paint a scenario:

You come to pick up your firearm, and for some reason NJ has taken away your FID (domestic violence, etc). In that case, your ability to possess firearms in the state of NJ would be revoked. You would not be able to pick up your firearm then. That would lead to storage fees, etc on top of the gunsmith work. This is why we ask for FID at check in. In your case, you lost your FID, so you wouldn't be able to pick up your firearm until you presented it.

Additionally, had I known about your specific problem before you stormed off, I could have ordered a part for you, as I am a Glock armorer. I try my best to accommodate people. I hope you frequent our store again when you get a new FID. And again, have a great day!

As stated above, yes, the info is in our system, but unfortunately without physical proof of the FID, we can't check them in, as they can't be checked back out. I hope this clears up any confusion...

Is having an FID card to pick up your already owned firearms law or store policy? I can't seem to find the statue that states this.

Even in your painted scenario where I was to become some prohibited person, it would not be the stores responsiblity to confiscate my guns, I believe that would be an issue for the State Police to deal with.

What about people who don't have an FID card that inherited firearms? Perfectly legal in NJ. But I guess they could never have them worked on?

And for what's its worth, I could have shipped my pistols to Glock on their dime, they would have updated them, then shipped them right back to my front door, I wouldn't have to show my FID card to anyone, would never had to leave my house, and it would all be perfectly legal. But I do prefer to keep my business local.

• Like 3

... Let me paint a scenario:

You come to pick up your firearm, and for some reason NJ has taken away your FID (domestic violence, etc). In that case, your ability to possess firearms in the state of NJ would be revoked. You would not be able to pick up your firearm then. That would lead to storage fees, etc on top of the gunsmith work. This is why we ask for FID at check in. In your case, you lost your FID, so you wouldn't be able to pick up your firearm until you presented it...

Let us say that a customer drops off his gun for repair WITH his FPID, but then as you state has a domestic. What is the difference if they had it or not when dropping the gun off? Your policy is actually that a customer needs a FPID to pickup their gun. That kind of restricts you to only a portion of NJ gun owners as potential customers.

We won't get into allowing someone else to lawfully pick it up for them.

Yeah I know Brad, and Rick too. I've been a member there for a few years. And I watch all your live streams lol.

I hear you're a good guy. :)

Is having an FID card to pick up your already owned firearms law or store policy? I can't seem to find the statue that states this.

Even in your painted scenario where I was to become some prohibited person, it would not be the stores responsiblity to confiscate my guns, I believe that would be an issue for the State Police to deal with.

What about people who don't have an FID card that inherited firearms? Perfectly legal in NJ. But I guess they could never have them worked on?

And for what's its worth, I could have shipped my pistols to Glock on their dime, they would have updated them, then shipped them right back to my front door, I wouldn't have to show my FID card to anyone, would never had to leave my house, and it would all be perfectly legal. But I do prefer to keep my business local.

As stated before, STORE POLICY.

Let us say that a customer drops off his gun for repair WITH his FPID, but then as you state has a domestic. What is the difference if they had it or not when dropping the gun off? Your policy is actually that a customer needs a FPID to pickup their gun. That kind of restricts you to only a portion of NJ gun owners as potential customers.

We won't get into allowing someone else to lawfully pick it up for them.

Just following store policy.

They are full of $hit. You can get your gun shipped to your house from a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true. However, this is just our store policy to protect our business. I can't really say any more than that, our personal policy is our personal policy and I just follow it. Just wanted to respond to the OP to explain why and what it was.

• Like 1

I hear you're a good guy. :)

Just following store policy.

This is true. However, this is just our store policy to protect our business. I can't really say any more than that, our personal policy is our personal policy and I just follow it. Just wanted to respond to the OP to explain why and what it was.

Did anyone ever tell you your store policy sucks. Just like having to have your picture taken to shoot at your range. No thanks I will go spend my money elsewhere.

Really no need to start yelling, as this was a sincere question. I was clear on the fact that FID card to leave guns at store was store policy, but I was not clear on  whether you needed your FID to pick up your  legally owned guns was in fact, policy or law. I read the statues and didn't see it, but figured I could have missed it somewhere, I thought I would ask. So, no problem, you win.

That being said, I completely disagree with the store policy as it is not a legal requirement. And honestly, if I did have my FID present and you told me I would need my FID card to pick up my legally owned guns or you will hold them hostage, I would not have left them anyway. What if I leave my guns and  walk outside and lose my FID card? I cant get my guns back for 30, maybe 60, maybe 90 days (depending on said PD)? Wow, no thanks. I know the chances of losing my card are very slim, but it could happen. And at that point, I/we will just be assumed to be a prohibited persons, at least until a replacement card shows up?

Store policy should be to let customers know that, if your dog happens to eat your kids homework and your FID card at the same time, you will not  be getting your legally owned firearms back from us even though there is no law against it.

I consider myself a fairly good customer of RTSP. Between me and my wife we bought at least a dozen handguns, plus a transfer or 2. I brought a friend who I introduced to shooting there to buy his 2 handguns and an AR.  I buy range time there every time I want to shoot indoors. Im not a member because I do a lot of outdoor shooting and the membership wouldn't pay off for me. I've had work done on guns by Tom before (but I don't ever remember showing an FID card for it). I had nothing but positive experiences there. I always recommend the place to people looking to buy. Hell, I even defended RTSP in another thread that someone posted about going there to buy a gun but was ignored. But...as stated in my previous post, I really have no patience left for gun stores that add BS policies on top of already ridiculous NJ gun laws. Therefore, I will take my business elsewhere.

Thanks,

D