sroc112

Best shotgun round for home defence

Ammo for the indecisive.   I've never understood those.  If you think buckshot is the right solution, buy buckshot.  If you think a slug is appropriate, buy slugs.  If you can't decide, go off and think about it some more, and by all means do some patterning.

For an explanation of Buck and Ball:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_and_ball

There's even a monument to the load in Gettysburg...from the 12th NJ no less.

http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/union-monuments/new-jersey/12th-new-jersey/

Most of the low recoil 00 buck keeps tighter patterns than std velocity buckshot. These tighter patterns make it effective up to 25 yards and I doubt most people are going to shoot farther than this in a SD situation.

Low recoil 00 buck comes out of the barrel at about 1100 fps and std buckshot 1300 fps IIRC. I know some are all about velocity in their ammo selection. If you hit a target with 4 or 5 pellets of low recoil buck at 20-25 yards I think the target will swear it was going 1300 fps.

I've also tried buck and ball and wasn't impressed. It worked well in the 1860s as you would be firing at massed troops. Hopefully the ball would hit what you were aiming at. Hopefully the buckshot might cause disabling wounds on other soldiers.

Buck and ball is more nostalgia than effective ammo IMO.

Hornady 8 pellet TAP and Federal 8 pellet 00B Flight Control are the bees knees* when it comes to buck shot for HD at typical house distances. I have patterned them in a bunch of different shotgun and had great results. Fist size pattern inside of 10 yards, a pattern I could cover with my open hand and spread fingers at 20 yards.

I would not use slugs for home defense unless you have line of sight greater than 25 yards - even then, I would be hesitant.

* I would say Federal #1B Flight Control is tops, but it is a bitch to find.

I've never tried 'em, but these are intriguing...the modern version of 'buck-n-ball'

• Multidefense Shotshells — The ultimate knockdown power with a 0.65" round lead ball, backed by six No. 1 buckshot pellets. 12 ga.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/herter-s-reg-defense-shotshells/1555113.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshotgun-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100191%2B4294751476%2FNe-4294751476%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104567580%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

This ^^^. I've gone out to the range with this and it's a pretty nasty all-around load. I keep it in my Mossy pump.