Howard

Who make commercial 9mm ammo with the softest primers?

Why are you looking for soft primers?

Would like to keep the 11.5# main spring in my CZ SP01 but have been getting a few light strikes even with the extended firing pin and light FP and FPB springs.

I don't have the FBP in my sp-01, but remember seeing posts on it in Enos. Sometimes that pin get a little bent and rubs against the firing pin causing light stiles. May want to double check that that is not your issue.

I don't have the FBP in my sp-01, but remember seeing posts on it in Enos. Sometimes that pin get a little bent and rubs against the firing pin causing light stiles. May want to double check that that is not your issue.

Interesting. I thought all SP01 had the FPB, only the shadow did not, guess I learned something.

I have to check that, but it only happens with the 11.5 not with the 13#.

What was strange yesterday is this would happen in single action and each time I had to pull

The trigger twice in double action till the round would fire. I would have thought double would do it the first time or not at all. Very strange.

Does any other commercial ammo use Federal primers?

I'd imagine everything coming from Federal does, so American Eagle would be the less expensive option that should still use the same primers.

Would like to keep the 11.5# main spring in my CZ SP01 but have been getting a few light strikes even with the extended firing pin and light FP and FPB springs.

Is this a game gun or SD gun? If SD I would rather go to a heavier spring for reliability.

If the pin for the FPB rubs the firing pin a little bit, that may be all it takes to mess you up sometimes.

I will check that but I think Dragon polished nicely and it is in good shape.

If it's taking 2 hits on the primers to go bang bang, your primers are likely not seated deep enough for optimal gamer boom booms.

The 1st hit is seating the primer down further, 2nd one ignites the boom powder.

Maybe get yourself a hand primer and fully seat all your primers, or reload yourself.

If it's taking 2 hits on the primers to go bang bang, your primers are likely not seated deep enough for optimal gamer boom booms.

The 1st hit is seating the primer down further, 2nd one ignites the boom powder.

Maybe get yourself a hand primer and fully seat all your primers, or reload yourself.

Alec, the issue is this is only happening perhaps once every 30 rounds.  It is happening in a CZ SP01 in single action, it then take not one but two hits in double action to go boom and then it works fine till the next time it happens.

Would not even know where to begin on that :(

Don't take this the wrong way, but you appear to be somewhat intelligent (I could be wrong) reloading is not that hard and there is a wealth of info here and elsewhere to help you out. Buddy up with someone local to you to show you the ropes.

• Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way, but you appear to be somewhat intelligent (I could be wrong) reloading is not that hard and there is a wealth of info here and elsewhere to help you out. Buddy up with someone local to you to show you the ropes.

Thanks, I think?  Yea undoubtedly I could do it.  I am a chemical engineer by training a fairly mechanically inclined, I just have not wanted to get involved with that.  I might have to, especially if our "friends" in Trenton try to imitate Kalifornia create a database of people that buy ammo.

Trying to seat primers deeper on loaded ammo is reckless advice.

• Like 1

Ok I'll show my complete ignorance here. I would have thought if the primer was not pushed all the way in the firing pin would hit it very hard as it did not have far to travel and if it was pushed in the pin might not reach it which would lead to a light strike. What am I not understanding here ?

Ok I'll show my complete ignorance here. I would have thought if the primer was not pushed all the way in the firing pin would hit it very hard as it did not have far to travel and if it was pushed in the pin might not reach it which would lead to a light strike. What am I not understanding here ?

Well, no.

The primer is at its most sensitive state when it is fully seated inside the primer cup. You don't waste any energy moving the primer forward to bottom of the cup before igniting.

Optimal depth is between .006-.010 below flush.

Though, on that same token you can seat primers too deep as well (crush and deformed )

• Like 1

I've done it on tens of thousands of rounds with no issue. It's a fairly common practice amoung competition shooters.

I do a quick finger-swipe-check on all freshly seated primers while reloading and if any are out of spec I just lightly press them in a touch.  After getting a barrage of light primer strikes on my 45acp cartridges, I made it a habit to ream and clean out all primer pockets as neatly as possible.  This fixed all the issues I was having

Howard - reloading is not hard at all...  it just takes a bit of practice and you'll get the hang of it really quickly

I've done it on tens of thousands of rounds with no issue. It's a fairly common practice amoung competition shooters.

Yeah, I might remind the readers you are the guy who not once but twice blew up your primer feed on your Dillon because of your insistence on using Federal primers when Dillon says no. You're also the guy who isn't strong enough to handle a 7 or 8 pound trigger from a reputable revolver smith. So you did your own action job resulting in a 4 1/2 pound trigger. How come Grant Cunningham or any of the reputable revolver smiths don't offer that. You have that ability to feel .004" using a hand primer? Crushing primers can give you erratic ignition. Look that up in any reloading manual. Seating primers deeper on loaded ammunition is not a new idea. Just a bad idea. Not a practice followed by people who have the skill and strength to deal with a good trigger.

I remember you being surprised to hear Miculek uses standard and even extra power springs in his revolver. He's able to handle that because he's taken the time and effort to practice and develop the muscles to do so. He doesn't use any trick ammunition. Trigger return is as important as trigger pull and I'm sure you've given a lot of that up getting your trigger down to 4 1/2 lbs. If you get older and wiser you will learn smooth is more important than light in a trigger.

Some gamers in any discipline will follow dangerous practices in order to cover for their deficiencies. Some look for instant success rather than working at something. Keep on with your hazardous practices to be able to produce your "optimal gamer boom booms". That language alone tells me where your head is at. Let us know when they result in an injury so others can be warned.

Yes, oh man. You are so right. I'm way too weak and girl like to shoot a revolver like a real man.

Please everybody don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Now, off to my safe space to play with my boom booms.

PS, and for your information I now run a 5.5 lb trigger pull. Though, I'm sure not as cool as you.

Yes, oh man. You are so right. I'm way too weak and girl like to shoot a revolver like a real man.

Please everybody don't listen to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Now, off to my safe space to play with my boom booms.

PS, and for your information I now run a 5.5 lb trigger pull. Though, I'm sure not as cool as you.

1. Okay you said it.

2. If I ever suggest anything unsafe please make everyone aware.

3. You said boom booms I didn't.

4.You've worked up to 5.5 lbs only a few more to go. I never said anything about cool. Being cool is apparently a concern of yours. You've been shooting maybe 5-6 years. I've been involved in small arms and reloading in the military, law enforcement, and competition for nearly 50 years. I may not be cool. Just know what I'm doing.

BTW, I do know quite a few girls who shoot well. I'm not a sexist.