Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

Ar500 vest

If I understood the guy in the video, the same 55 grain round did not penetrate that armor from a 16" barrel.

He used a 22" barrel which gave him the extra velocity to penetrate the plate. With most of the Ar's being carbines,

this plate should hold up I would think.

• Like 1

They SHOULD stop standard rifle rounds and will stop most handgun rounds - for steel plates it's a matter of Velocity.  Still if you're looking for protection against pistol calibers, why spend all the money and weight on heavy AR500 steel plates when you could get soft armor for a lot lighter.

• Like 1

My thoughts are that in a SHTF scenario, AR's would likely be the weapons you would be facing, albeit mostly carbines.

Is this really a good price for what you are getting? I know little to nothing about body armor.

I had ordered a carrier with the level 3 plates, side plates and trauma pads. I saved a bundle, but canceled the order when it was brought to my attention that 5.56 will sail right through. Saving up for something stronger.

Heres the way i look at it. I have a set of level 4 in a carrier for whatever. Mostly what i need it for is handgun, ak and maybe carbine length ar's for work. That is my most likely threat. My level 4 carrier is heavy as shit for everyday. This will be a little better for weight . If i need to worry about high velocity sniper speed rounds i probably will be dead or incapacitated before i can do anything anyway.

So is this a good deal considering they are not level 3+ plates?

I have no body armor and I was going to grab this deal until I saw the video Nick put up!

keep in mind the level 3 plates have basically an infinite shelf life. 3+ (although it's more an issue with level IV) are warranted for roughly 5 years from my understanding and is highly dependent upon storage (heat, humidity, etc). for that reason alone the 3 is the better option...

there's something odd about this offer. their standard level 3 plates still have an 11 week lead time. these level 3 plates have no lead time? why?

keep in mind the level 3 plates have basically an infinite shelf life. 3+ (although it's more an issue with level IV) are warranted for roughly 5 years from my understanding and is highly dependent upon storage (heat, humidity, etc). for that reason alone the 3 is the better option...

there's something odd about this offer. their standard level 3 plates still have an 11 week lead time. these level 3 plates have no lead time? why?

Could be old stock pre-packaged with the vests??

I'm curious on the shelf life issue... I did see the 5 year warranty but that's not the shelf life..

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2009/07/30-things-you-need-to-know-about-body-armor.aspx

Most soft body armor sold in the United States is rated for five years of service. That's the standard of the National Institute of Justice (NIJ).

http://www.kevlarbulletproofvest.com/kevlar-bulletproof-vests-expire/

Do Kevlar bulletproof vests expire? The answer is, YES, they certainly do. Most police forces in the US replace their Kevlar bulletproof vests every five years. Part of the protection that Kevlar provides is the weave of the fabric. A spinning bullet interrupts the weave, causing the force to be spread over a larger area. Over a period of years the fibers in woven Kevlar fabric start to separate, reducing the ballistic protection provided by the vest.

Why cheap out on something that you're buying for use maybe once or twice in a lifetime and then, when your life is likely in jeopardy already?  I don't know about you guys but my life is worth a lot more than saving $200-400 on armor.  And I'm the guy that usually tries to talk "regular" people out of buying armor because I think it'll get more of them killed than it will save due to conditioning and training issues.

Why cheap out on something that you're buying for use maybe once or twice in a lifetime and then, when your life is likely in jeopardy already? I don't know about you guys but my life is worth a lot more than saving $200-400 on armor. And I'm the guy that usually tries to talk "regular" people out of buying armor because I think it'll get more of them killed than it will save due to conditioning and training issues.

For a little over 300 you can get their lvl 3+ plates which are pretty impressive and will never crack or make you worry about the integrity.

For a little over 300 you can get their lvl 3+ plates which are pretty impressive and will never crack or make you worry about the integrity.

Having listened to enough people who wear armor while in harm's way, I won't be wearing steel plates which is why I have ceramic level 4 standalones.

• Like 1