Sig226GuyNJ

Idiot Men who take women to rangefor first time

and hand them a gun like this... It boggles my mind how idiots can hand a gun like this to a new shooter, and think it's ok. First, I always load only one round in a gun with a new shooter. Even if it's a .22. Look at how out of control the gun is. They're lucky no one got shot or hurt. Look at the look of disapproval on the old man towards the end. If I was in that range, I would've left immediately upon seeing this moron hand these new shooters a gun like that.

and hand them a gun like this... It boggles my mind how idiots can hand a gun like this to a new shooter, and think it's ok. First, I always load only one round in a gun with a new shooter. Even if it's a .22. Look at how out of control the gun is. They're lucky no one got shot or hurt. Look at the look of disapproval on the old man towards the end. If I was in that range, I would've left immediately upon seeing this moron hand these new shooters a gun like that.

Look at how out of control the gun is.

Okay, I watched it twice, and while I agree they don't have a firm grip, or well-locked elbows, I didn't see them completely lose control. Yes, they didn't maintain the two handed grip. Yes, the gun kicked up. And I always start out newbies with a .22, simply to get them used to the noise and recoil(not) or slide working.

Yes, he ought to have braced them for the first shot or two with the "reach around", just to help them with the recoil. Looked like it could have been a .45 or more with that much kick.

But, nowhere did I see the firearm pointing out of the down range. I did see them put it down on the table right away, pointing in the right direction. I didn't see either gal fire a second shot, so I don't know if the gun had only one shot in it or not. 

Obviously this fellow doesn't have much experience himself, I noticed he even seemed to be flinching a bit when the first gal was about to shoot, rather than reinforcing her stance.

Let this guy get some more practice himself, THEN let him encourage others to try the sport. I give him at least a little kudos for that part of it, even  if I agree he's not really ready to teach others YET.

Just my opinion, worth about what you paid for it.

This video is unfortunately indicative of many first time shooters at most public ranges in NJ and probably elsewhere.
What I see in it are reactions that are a combination of excitement, curiosity, shock, amazement, joy, fear, etc., all to be expected emotions, along with the not-surprising flinching for their first time shooting.
At least the ladies were mostly safe when holding the handgun and never pointed it anywhere except essentially down range.
It also appears that the man with them certainly did not demonstrate the level of gun and range safety knowledge, let alone any minimal male machismo with these women, (but that is another story....) 

I am a husband who decided to do things a bit differently with my wife when it came to her first time shooting....

She is a smart, intelligent and educated woman who happens to also be a strong liberal and had anti-gun opinions.  After her relenting on the rational justification for us to purchase a gun for self and home protection, I insisted that it would make sense that I am not the only one who has been trained on the proper and safe handling, use of and storage of this gun.  She agreed.
I arranged and paid for a private, one-on-one, 2-hour introductory course on handguns, taught by a professional, NRA-sanctioned trainer at one of the ranges where I am a member.  I said that if she agreed with my sentiment that she should know how to use this handgun for her self-defense, if God-forbid, that I am traveling out of town for business and there is an attempted house break-in, that I wanted her to have the knowledge and self-confidence on what to do with this gun.  She agreed and took this lesson.  I realized that as a husband that has been married for many, many years, it is very prudent when wanting to instruct a family member, whether a wife, daughter or son, that you, (the husband), may not have as much credibility as a 3rd-person, non-family member, objective, experienced trainer who is an acknowledged expert in the field in question. Therefore, IMHO, it was well worth the cost of this private lesson, so my wife would listen thoroughly to what she was being taught and not have it lost through some subconscious husband biased filter.  I can honestly say it worked....

As it turned out, she is a pretty good (accurate) shot, generating an 8" dia. grouping at 10 yards, more than adequate for her first time ever shooting any type of gun.  I told her that it would not end there, and that I would appreciate her joining me at the range every couple of months to practice with this specific handgun, (a Glock 17, Gen 4 9mm), so she becomes fully aware of how it works, loading bullets into the magazine, inserting the magazine, racking the slide, properly gripping the gun, learning the feel of the trigger reset and becoming acclimated to the recoil action of firing the gun.  She has done this and now enjoys joining me on these occasions.

Will this prevent her from experiencing an accident using firearms?  Possibly....
While no level of or extent of training will prevent 100% of accidents from occurring, I strongly believe that as rational, educated, conscientious and considerate adults, that we should all be responsible enough to take the measures that each of us is comfortable with to reduce the chances and odds for accidents from happening.  I am not saying that this should be mandated by any state or federal law, but certainly understand why many private gun ranges/clubs have instituted their own level of gun safety training as a prerequisite to becoming a member and/or shooting any firearm on their range(s).  We all have responsibilities that we should accept, without having to be forced to do them by some legislation or law...

AVB-AMG

(BTW & FYI - In Switzerland,the vast majority of men between the ages of 20 - 34 are conscripted into the country's militia and undergo military training, including weapons training.  I do not think it includes women though....)

• Like 1

AVB-AMG

(BTW & FYI - In Switzerland,the vast majority of men between the ages of 20 - 34 are conscripted into the country's militia and undergo military training, including weapons training.  I do not think it includes women though....)

Well written, glad your wife is WELL prepared

Israel, I believe, works with both men and women.

I agree with only one shot the first time for a brand new shooter. I've a lays started new shooters with the "Barney Fife Drill". That's regardless of sex or physical size.

Barney Fife drill, I love it! I remember him on the show, taking the bullet out of his shirt pocket!

Look at how out of control the gun is.

Okay, I watched it twice, and while I agree they don't have a firm grip, or well-locked elbows, I didn't see them completely lose control. Yes, they didn't maintain the two handed grip. Yes, the gun kicked up. And I always start out newbies with a .22, simply to get them used to the noise and recoil(not) or slide working.

Yes, he ought to have braced them for the first shot or two with the "reach around", just to help them with the recoil. Looked like it could have been a .45 or more with that much kick.

But, nowhere did I see the firearm pointing out of the down range. I did see them put it down on the table right away, pointing in the right direction. I didn't see either gal fire a second shot, so I don't know if the gun had only one shot in it or not. 

Obviously this fellow doesn't have much experience himself, I noticed he even seemed to be flinching a bit when the first gal was about to shoot, rather than reinforcing her stance.

Let this guy get some more practice himself, THEN let him encourage others to try the sport. I give him at least a little kudos for that part of it, even  if I agree he's not really ready to teach others YET.

Just my opinion, worth about what you paid for it.

Look at 1:03. After she fires, and the gun almost points to her left, she turns to her right, and points the gun into the stall to the right with her finger on the trigger. Even had she none done that, the fact that the gun practically flies out of their hands, should indicate to someone who has at least a little bit of common sense, that maybe this gun is too powerful for them.

Guy was trying to get laid. The rso should have stepped in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not his type.

Oh, that may not be what you meant. :-)

• Like 1

And........ that's why I don't go to public ranges.

While neither girl muzzle swept anyone, they clearly didn't have complete control of their weapon. We're all aware of the Fla incident and how quickly things can go south. Notice the little girl who stepped into the frame half way through? If that were my kid I would have been out of there.

I agree with most who felt the guy is inexperienced as well. Bad combination.

I recently introduced a new shooter to the sport. She is about 5'3" and weighs maybe 110?. ( She's very petite). She had never held a gun before. I started her out with a .22 rifle, then a .22 pistol. Once she was comfortable we progressed on up through the calibers. By the time she got to a .45 she was pretty confident and knew what to expect. .45s were target loads, so pretty mild. She didn't like the .40. took one shot and put the gun down. (Glock 23)

I also did this at a private club during the week when no one else was around. But even if we weren't, she was completely safe (and under my guidance the entire time.)

Look at 1:03. After she fires, and the gun almost points to her left, she turns to her right, and points the gun into the stall to the right with her finger on the trigger. Even had she none done that, the fact that the gun practically flies out of their hands, should indicate to someone who has at least a little bit of common sense, that maybe this gun is too powerful for them.

Okay, the recoil sent the muzzle up and left, but it's still in a safe zone. 

You are right, tho about the pointing it to the right shortly after that, and it did seem as if she still had her finger on the trigger. not good. But she IS new at this, hopefully she will learn. Before hurting someone. 

I agreed before that she ought to be using a smaller caliber. As I mentioned, I start out everyone with .22. And that he should have been assisting her in holding it.

Okay, the recoil sent the muzzle up and left, but it's still in a safe zone. 

You are right, tho about the pointing it to the right shortly after that, and it did seem as if she still had her finger on the trigger. not good. But she IS new at this, hopefully she will learn. Before hurting someone. 

I agreed before that she ought to be using a smaller caliber. As I mentioned, I start out everyone with .22. And that he should have been assisting her in holding it.

Here's the thing. I don't blame the women. I blame the idiot guy who thinks he's cool, but can't shoot worth a damn himself. I'm not trying to be right 345, I was just pointing out my observations.

Here's the thing. I don't blame the women. I blame the idiot guy who thinks he's cool, but can't shoot worth a damn himself. I'm not trying to be right 345, I was just pointing out my observations.

How's about we agree to agree?  :giveheart:

• Like 1

Meh.  Brought my 8 year old niece shooting her first time on July 4th...  She kept control very nicely with my Beretta Neos .22LR.  Just had my hand under hers to help support the gun...

TlYEjwm.jpg

MMMc8Az.jpg

Very nice, glad to see another young lady being introduced to safe firearm usage.

So, by Labor Day you'll have her with the Desert Eagle .50 cal? 

(kidding, kidding, kidding!!!!!!! )

The girls in the video probably didn't have a FPID.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

As they were ostensibly visiting from Sweden, you are likely right, not that it should really matter. 

More to the point for their benefit would have been a better trainer or even a basic safety course, or at the very LEAST a safety video that they MIGHT have paid attention to.

Very nice, glad to see another young lady being introduced to safe firearm usage.

So, by Labor Day you'll have her with the Desert Eagle .50 cal? 

(kidding, kidding, kidding!!!!!!! )

I would have to buy one... and find a range that allows for that use.  

Ok I completely agree that those chick's instructor was not the greatest and I personally start all new shooters with a single shot .22 or a semi auto .22 with only one round loaded. With that being said the guys who let shot handguns gave me a S&W 629 with .44mag rounds for my first handgun ever, next was a .38 super colt 1911 and a .45 colt 1911. They gave me instructions on how to hold the gun properly and how to manage the recoil properly and I had no problems ringing steel with that 44mag and I was only 13 years old. So I feel with proper instruction those girls would have done much better. I humbly volunteer my time to instruct those girls on proper shooting techniques LOL. Man I love blonds with European accents!