Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Nearby states that allow you to apply for non-res concealed carry permit

If your primary concern is to CC in PA...the best option is to get your New Hampshire NR permit.  To the best of my knowledge it is honored in PA.

If your primary concern is to simply get a NR permit...then you should look into Virginia and/or Florida.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

Those of us that have them have.....

Florida

Utah

Virginia

Texas

New Hampshire

New Hampshire is the easiest and it covers Pennsylvania....

Florida is very popular.... Requires proof of live fire course....

Virginia also requires live fire course and is the most expensive based on per year cost

Utah requires a Utah based course... That can be taken locally

Texas requires you to go to Texas

Others will correct me if I am wrong... LOL

• Like 1

So if you have a permit that covers PA, you must transport the weapon and ammunition through nj as you would normally? What if you got pulled over, nj you must be going directly to/from destination such as range? Is it ok to say your destination is simply going to pa for the day and you have a recognized ccw permit for there?

What about if your going to a state that is recognized by your ccw but you must pass through a state that is not? Always keep firearm in vehicle in the same way that you would if going to a range in nj? Then when reaching the state that you are allowed to carry in you can load magazines and holster up?

So if you have a permit that covers PA, you must transport the weapon and ammunition through nj as you would normally?

Yes, in accordance with exemptions.

What if you got pulled over, nj you must be going directly to/from destination such as range? Is it ok to say your destination is simply going to pa for the day and you have a recognized ccw permit for there?

Debatable.  IMO...the best practice is to exercise your 4th and 5th...you don't ever have to disclose your destination or reason for travel.  LEO can ask...you don't have to share.  PERIOD.  

If you choose to answer, then the best answer would be the truth - which means that you are traveling to a range (they have them out-of-state).

What about if your going to a state that is recognized by your ccw but you must pass through a state that is not? Always keep firearm in vehicle in the same way that you would if going to a range in nj?

If traveling "through" a state, then FOPA applies (IIRC...it's unloaded, locked, NOT in glove compartment).

Then when reaching the state that you are allowed to carry in you can load magazines and holster up?

Let me ask you...once you leave a state - are you still subject to that states travel laws?  Do you have a recognized permit in the other state?

I do not have a NH permit...but it appears that it's as simple as filling out the application and mailing it in.

I would include a $100 check made out to "STATE OF N.H. - TREASURER"

References include...

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

Those of us that have them have.....

Florida

Utah

Virginia

Texas

New Hampshire

New Hampshire is the easiest and it covers Pennsylvania....

Florida is very popular.... Requires proof of live fire course....

Virginia also requires live fire course and is the most expensive based on per year cost

Utah requires a Utah based course... That can be taken locally

Texas requires you to go to Texas

Others will correct me if I am wrong... LOL

As of today (7/10/16) it seems that of all the above listed states...PA will only recognize NR permits from Texas and NH.  So one might argue that a weekend trip to Texas would be the best value, based on current reciprocity.

Rationale = Texas NR is valid in PA and DE (plus 29 more states)...where as New Hampshire NR is valid in PA, but not DE (and only 24 more states).

No harm in gathering the rest...reciprocity can always change in the future.

Was just looking at the application for NH, and i don't know if they haven't changed the form yet, but it states that it is necessary to provide a copy of  your in-state Concealed carry permit or you will be denied. If i remember correctly, this was recently changed. Can someone confirm? Don't want to throw away 100$..

Was just looking at the application for NH, and i don't know if they haven't changed the form yet, but it states that it is necessary to provide a copy of  your in-state Concealed carry permit or you will be denied. If i remember correctly, this was recently changed. Can someone confirm? Don't want to throw away 100$..

According to the following thread...

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/81880-meanwhile-in-new-hampshire/

...some people have submitted with the current form and NH has issued to the Non-Resident.

According to the following thread...

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/81880-meanwhile-in-new-hampshire/

...some people have submitted with the current form and NH has issued to the Non-Resident.

This thread is confusing. Hard to tell who is getting theirs using an existing non res Id, who is getting theirs using just a nj fid, and who is not getting it.

So for concealed carry in pa, the nh and tx non res I'd are best? I see a lot of mention in that thread about a Utah I'd as well.

Other states that are relatively easy to get are Arizona, Maine, and Connecticut.

More or less, would a NH non-res permit be sufficient? Or is it necessary to look into others such as Texas, Arizona, Maine, and conn?

More or less, would a NH non-res permit be sufficient? Or is it necessary to look into others such as Texas, Arizona, Maine, and conn?

Works for now, I would keep up on PA law however, history has proven the agreements change fast under PA DA Kane.

Works for now, I would keep up on PA law however, history has proven the agreements change fast under PA DA Kane.

The only Non-Resident permits that PA honors, that are likely obtainable are NH and TX.

Current reciprocity for PA/NH has been in-place since 2004...and PA/TX since 2005.

This thread is confusing. Hard to tell who is getting theirs using an existing non res Id, who is getting theirs using just a nj fid, and who is not getting it.

So for concealed carry in pa, the nh and tx non res I'd are best? I see a lot of mention in that thread about a Utah I'd as well.

I seems that those who sent a copy of their Florida and Utah CCW to NH, got their permits. Only 1 or 2 people sent it with just their NJ FID card and have not yet been approved!

I am patiently waiting for my Florida non resident CCW before applying for my New Hampshire! I will NOT take a chance at FOREVER having to check the YES box for "Have you ever been denied

a CCW permit by any state"!  Then having to explain myself!

Trust me, Take the Utah or Utah/Florida class. When you have your non resident (From any state) then apply for NH non resident.

I seems that those who sent a copy of their Florida and Utah CCW to NH, got their permits. Only 1 or 2 people sent it with just their NJ FID card and have not yet been approved!

I am patiently waiting for my Florida non resident CCW before applying for my New Hampshire! I will NOT take a chance at FOREVER having to check the YES box for "Have you ever been denied

a CCW permit by any state"!  Then having to explain myself!

Trust me, Take the Utah or Utah/Florida class. When you have your non resident (From any state) then apply for NH non resident.

How can you go about finding/scheduling a class that is approved for the Florida permit?

How can you go about finding/scheduling a class that is approved for the Florida permit?

Take a look at this link...it should get you started in the right direction.

If you are military (or former military)...no training necessary - simply submit proof of service.

Also..."Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course"... http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

Call Anthony Colandro at "Gun for Hire"!   888-Gun-For-Hire (486-3674)  He will point you to the closest class. They will supply everything

including the forms, pictures, training and fingerprints! Probably much easier than the route I took!

I used my DD214 as a Navy vet for training but had one hell of a time finding a PD that still fingerprinted with ink!

• Like 1