AlDente67

What is a Bullpup?

Lessening recoil is not the primary reason for the design.

The action goes behind the trigger to reduce overall length while retaining the ballistics of a full length barrel.

That is correct.

If you go into the books on M1903s, there were bullpup variations of the rifle in the inter-war years. Think it was Patton that had a hand in it.

Some do, some don't.

I haven't shot a real one, but have held them and they feel Odd to me. There is no doubt that it is, in theory, a superior design in that you can maintain a full length barrel without the size of a full length rifle.
Try one out; maybe find somewhere you can rent one, and see how you like it. I always thought it'd be odd to try and reload with the mag well being behind the pistol grip. I'd imagine if you got used to it, it could certainly be a fantastic piece.

The TAVOR seems to be fairly popular.

Poor trigger feel (because usually there's some kind of long linkage running from the trigger to the actual hammer/sear) and bad ergonomics for magazine changes are the main criticisms of bullpups.  They also tend to be downright hostile to "wrong-handed" users (bullpup set up for right-handed shooter will discharge brass directly into the face of a left-handed shooter trying to use it).

I have a Tavor with "maximum" trigger upgrades - geiselle trigger pack and their "lightning bow" trigger/linkage, and I think the trigger is AWESOME.

Reaching into my armpit with my support hand to effect magazine changes is less awesome though...

I love my MSAR:

855852BD-6ADB-4546-A801-66B5ACA58ECA_zps

I have a 2020 sear in the trigger pack and the trigger is as good as my Geissele SSA.

I don't have an issue with the reloads. Drop the stock into the crook of your arm. Lift your elbow 6 inches and the mag is right where you need it. Adds maybe 3/4 of a second to my reloads on the timer. I'll take it for a rifle shorter than my issued Colt 11.5" SBR and still retains the ballistics of 5.56 with a 16" barrel.

Comparison of my 16" MSAR/AUG and my issued 11.5" Colt:

48E6D065-0A61-4EBF-B093-0CC90412C83B_zps

I love my MSAR:

855852BD-6ADB-4546-A801-66B5ACA58ECA_zps

I have a 2020 sear in the trigger pack and the trigger is as good as my Geissele SSA.

I don't have an issue with the reloads. Drop the stock into the crook of your arm. Lift your elbow 6 inches and the mag is right where you need it. Adds maybe 3/4 of a second to my reloads on the timer. I'll take it for a rifle shorter than my issued Colt 11.5" SBR and still retains the ballistics of 5.56 with a 16" barrel.

Comparison of my 16" MSAR/AUG and my issued 11.5" Colt:

48E6D065-0A61-4EBF-B093-0CC90412C83B_zps

Sort of In the words of Arnold in Predator.... That's one ugly muthafooker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk