Sign in to follow this  
Zuko94

Fid card ready 7/14

The fire arms officer for my local town called me and said my FID and pistol permit will be ready thursday for pickup. Now I'm that i know for sure that it will be ready, i want to start trying some other pistols. i have been shooting the XDM 2 that i have been talking about and i really like the pistol. BUT, always a but. shooting with a few friends who happen to work for a police dept. pointed out a few things. Even though i say I'm purchasing the pistol for home defense, think about it if i was. The question purposed to me, i can see an officer having to think about it. What if your shot/injured in the strong hand? will you have the strength to engage the grip safety. will be as accurate shooting week hand with a grip safety. Couple of other rhetorical questions asked and got me thinking. As i post in another thread how happy i was to see the new CGSC and meeting the staff, i was introduced to a couple other pistols that fit nicely in my hand. The one that stuck out the most was the H&K vp9. That pistol felt great. Weight and size just felt good. So now i have been reading everything about the VP9 the only thing that seems to be a hang up is the ambidextrous mag release. So my question is, is the mag release just new and the shooter needs to get used to all of it? location, ambidextrous, paddle style push down verse the way pistol mag release have always been at least since i started shooting pistols with my dad. Either way i really like the VP9. it might just be my new pistol.

I have a Walther PPQ with the paddle mag release for a HD gun. Grip is ergonomic, and I can shoot with either hand. Mags are easy to change as well.

ill keep that in mind. I don't remember if i saw a walther or not. The paddle release to me at least didn't seem like a that big of an issue to get used to.

I have a Walther PPQ with the paddle mag release for a HD gun. Grip is ergonomic, and I can shoot with either hand. Mags are easy to change as well.

ill keep that in mind. I don't remember if i saw a walther or not. The paddle release to me at least didn't seem like a that big of an issue to get used to.

Both are very similar looking and feeling firearms. If you like the VP9, I agree you should also give the PPQ a test drive.

Walther_PPQ_vs_Heckler_and_Koch_HK_VP9_H

• Like 1

Grip safety is a non-issue.

Shooting weak-hand accurately/effectively is a product of your practice in shooting with your weak-hand, and not by the design of the gun's safety.

I have not used a paddle style mag release myself, but several people that I know said it was fairly intuitive and only took a short while to get used to.

• Like 1

Both are very similar looking and feeling firearms. If you like the VP9, I agree you should also give the PPQ a test drive.

m gonna have to now. seeing side by side they are just about mirrored. The one thing i kept seeing is "how stupidly accurate" the VP9 is. i have been shooting long enough with my father to know that the gun plays a part but its the operator who makes it a good or bad.

I really found it odd that shooting glocks, a couple sigs a colt 1911 and old ruger and some other pistols.   To me at least, a pistol is like a new car. Find one that feels good and let it break in and learn car. that is till rusty put that VP 9 in my hand, it felt like the old cartoon He man cartoon. He mans sword was perfect for him and the pistol just felt right to me. But now i am very curious about the PPQ

Grip safety is a non-issue.

Shooting weak-hand accurately/effectively is a product of your practice in shooting with your weak-hand, and not by the design of the gun's safety.

I have not used a paddle style mag release myself, but several people that I know said it was fairly intuitive and only took a short while to get used to.

im guessing since a couple of my buddies are police officers and one is a firearms trainer, he's been going over with me some drills and tactical drills. he's over cautious i guess but then again, god forbid anyone should draw a weapon its one less thing to worry about if you were to injury the strong hand. i would think the paddle release is just something new users have to adjust to. i still think its a great feeling weapon. Sound corny but that grip felt like it was made for my big bear claw

The ridge on the VP really felt great in the palm of my hand.