Sign in to follow this  
wadezky

AR15 or shotgun? (yea, I know...)

OK so I'm going shopping this weekend and I wanted opinions on the age old debate on which to buy. It's either gonna be a S&W m&p sport (NJ compliant of course) or a Mossberg/Remington/Benelli pump shotgun. Ideally I'd love both but if you could just buy 1 which would it be. Main usage would be range but I want to know it's there for home defense too. Thoughts?

Range I'd say AR for sure. HD I'm not sure which is better, the one you shoot more often will be best and chances are that's the AR. If you get the shotgun and practice often that's a tried and true HD weapon with devastating results for the intruder. Then again dead is dead and you can't think that from 10 feet away a shotgun group will be all that much wider than a rifle, if you completely miss your target with a AR chances are you wouldn't have a hit with a shotgun either.

I'm heavily leaning to AR for not only the "fun" factor at the range, but I keep thinking I can get a shotgun any time and any day, but finding a NJ compliant AR at a good price isn't as easy. Then there's the whole "get one now before you can't get them anymore" issue, which I doubt would happen, but you never know.

Funny, I recently was shopping and debating between the two as well. I was looking at the m&p sport 2/ruger 556 or a mossberg 590 pump. I like the ar for the fun factor, ability to customize the gun, and overall usage and style. However, I am concerned that eventually you will not only NOT be allowed to buy them, but also be required to forfeit them assuming some ridiculous politician gets their way. So for the time being I went with the mossberg. Was it the best decision? Who knows! But I can always go back and buy the other if I want.

Also wasn't sure weather to go with the m&p or the ruger...

I'm kinds thinki

Funny, I recently was shopping and debating between the two as well. I was looking at the m&p sport 2/ruger 556 or a mossberg 590 pump. I like the ar for the fun factor, ability to customize the gun, and overall usage and style. However, I am concerned that eventually you will not only NOT be allowed to buy them, but also be required to forfeit them assuming some ridiculous politician gets their way. So for the time being I went with the mossberg. Was it the best decision? Who knows! But I can always go back and buy the other if I want.

Also wasn't sure weather to go with the m&p or the ruger...[/quote

I was thinking the same thing about maybe having to forfeit it one day, that's why I don't want to drop $1000 or more. Would suck even if it was less than that, that's why its kind of a catch 22.

Also wasn't sure weather to go with the m&p or the ruger...

My fear as well! If Hillary get in, you made the right choice! If Trump wins, you still made the right decision since AR's will still be available for at least the next 4 years!

Eventually, a Democrat, anti gunner will win the White House and I am certain one day they will be banned! I sure hope not but common sense dictates that one day it will come to pass!

At such a point, each of us will have to decide how we deal with it. Plain and simple!

At such a point, each of us will have to decide how we deal with it. Plain and simple!

I'm not saying anything about myself but perhaps an American spirit will go through NJ gun owners if that happens and they will just not comply whether it's openly or just keeping it in your house and not saying anything until someone will come along and get our country back to what it was always supposed to be.

I'm not saying anything about myself but perhaps an American spirit will go through NJ gun owners if that happens and they will just not comply whether it's openly or just keeping it in your house and not saying anything until someone will come along and get our country back to what it was always supposed to be.

This goes WAY beyond New Jersey! My statements above were on a national level. I could care less about the PRNJ at this point in time!

So now my brother (being the jerk that he is) goes and asks me if it's really worth spending the money to buy an AR that I will go out and shoot maybe once a month.  And of course now I'm wondering the same thing.  Anyone have any regrets about spending money on an AR just to have it sit in a safe and use it 8 times a year?  By the way, my brother is a Fire Marshall and a gun guy, he's not someone that is anti-gun, he's just playing devils advocate here.  Am I just better off with the $300 shotgun and save the extra cash?

So now my brother (being the jerk that he is) goes and asks me if it's really worth spending the money to buy an AR that I will go out and shoot maybe once a month.  And of course now I'm wondering the same thing.  Anyone have any regrets about spending money on an AR just to have it sit in a safe and use it 8 times a year?  By the way, my brother is a Fire Marshall and a gun guy, he's not someone that is anti-gun, he's just playing devils advocate here.  Am I just better off with the $300 shotgun and save the extra cash?

I have guns I haven't shot for a couple years sitting in the safe... but when I get the urge, I will bring 'em out.  Get what you REALLY want or else you'll regret it later on - especially if you can't get it then.

I have guns I haven't shot for a couple years sitting in the safe... but when I get the urge, I will bring 'em out.  Get what you REALLY want or else you'll regret it later on - especially if you can't get it then.

That would be me, buy it, use it then have it the safe forever.  But if I don't buy it now, will I ever be able to get one?  I can always get a shotgun and they will be readily available.  The AR might be a different story with availability (and legalities) and then prices may skyrocket etc etc.  So many variables and that's what I keep bouncing around in my head!

I was thinking the same thing about maybe having to forfeit it one day, that's why I don't want to drop $1000 or more. Would suck even if it was less than that, that's why its kind of a catch 22.

Unless the 2nd Amendment is repealed you won't be forfeiting anything.  Buy your compliant rifle now if you want it.  It sucks we have to buy them this way in NJ (neutered) but even if NJ goes SAFE act and goes to 10 rounders, you'll be happy you had the 15 rounds from previous purchase.  I'll be long gone from the PRNJ before Tubby is done in this state anyway.

I don't care if some progressive dictator president either makes an executive action banning semi-automatic rifles (because I highly doubt Congress will pass such legislation in my lifetime, which actually goes to the President's desk to be signed into law) - you think I'm going to walk down to the government office to go and register it with them, or worse yet, turn in for confiscation? 

As far as the government is concerned all my rifles were destroyed and lost in a flood if they ever knocked on my door to ask. 

Unless the 2nd Amendment is repealed you won't be forfeiting anything.  Buy your compliant rifle now if you want it.  It sucks we have to buy them this way in NJ (neutered) but even if NJ goes SAFE act and goes to 10 rounders, you'll be happy you had the 15 rounds from previous purchase.  I'll be long gone from the PRNJ before Tubby is done in this state anyway.

I don't care if some progressive dictator president either makes an executive action banning semi-automatic rifles (because I highly doubt Congress will pass such legislation in my lifetime, which actually goes to the President's desk to be signed into law) - you think I'm going to walk down to the government office to go and register it with them, or worse yet, turn in for confiscation? 

As far as the government is concerned all my rifles were destroyed and lost in a flood if they ever knocked on my door to ask. 

Great points..... I can't see them ever repealing that in my lifetime either, I guess when you put it that way it becomes an easy decision.  I don't care so much about the state of NJ crap, since by the end of 2017 I should be in NC (yes I realize I can by a non-"evil" AR there)  but I'd rather not wait because with my luck they'll get banned a week before I move.  I already have a house there in OBX, but I rent it out in the summer so I'm not buying one and keeping it there.

And funny thing, that flood got me too.  So weird!  :)

Great points..... I can't see them ever repealing that in my lifetime either, I guess when you put it that way it becomes an easy decision.  I don't care so much about the state of NJ crap, since by the end of 2017 I should be in NC (yes I realize I can by a non-"evil" AR there)  but I'd rather not wait because with my luck they'll get banned a week before I move.  I already have a house there in OBX, but I rent it out in the summer so I'm not buying one and keeping it there.

And funny thing, that flood got me too.  So weird!  :)

Ah yes you are the guy who is beating me to the punch on the exit - my wife and I are going to look at suburbs of Raleigh area in September and maybe moving about an hour away from the city - our timeline is by end of next year at latest, ideally moved out within the next 12 months.

Did you ever check to see if you can rent a locker at a gun shop or range out there?  Would be easier to buy it, have it locked up and ready for when you move.  Although, if you buy a compliant AR here, 30 round mags are cheap enough, you can always get the barrel threaded and fit a flash hider, and un-pin the stock or get a new one.

Someone mentioned this and its a great idea - make the trip to Cabela's in DE and the price in the store includes NICS and no sales tax - they will only sell you compliant AR's but its a great option.

I am stopping in on the way home from Raleigh in Sept. and I'll probably end up with a compliant S&W or Ruger because I know I won't be able to resist buying something there LOL

But ideally, you want both.  I love my Mossberg 500.

Ah yes you are the guy who is beating me to the punch on the exit - my wife and I are going to look at suburbs of Raleigh area in September and maybe moving about an hour away from the city - our timeline is by end of next year at latest, ideally moved out within the next 12 months.

Did you ever check to see if you can rent a locker at a gun shop or range out there?  Would be easier to buy it, have it locked up and ready for when you move.  Although, if you buy a compliant AR here, 30 round mags are cheap enough, you can always get the barrel threaded and fit a flash hider, and un-pin the stock or get a new one.

Someone mentioned this and its a great idea - make the trip to Cabela's in DE and the price in the store includes NICS and no sales tax - they will only sell you compliant AR's but its a great option.

I am stopping in on the way home from Raleigh in Sept. and I'll probably end up with a compliant S&W or Ruger because I know I won't be able to resist buying something there LOL

But ideally, you want both.  I love my Mossberg 500.

Yup that's me....sounds like we'll be looking in the same area...Apex, Cary, just southwest of Raleigh.  I never looked into the locker idea....never even checked to see what shops or ranges are in that area.  Guess I figure if I get one here I can just un-evil it when I get there, since I'll probably be personalizing it anyway.

Every time I check with Cabela's they are out of stock on the NJ compliant models and never have any clue when they'll be back in stock. Kind of disheartening trying and being shot down all the time. 

And yea...I do want both.  But the budget doesn't allow for that right now, so it's just 1.  If I wasn't buying a handgun this weekend too I'd have more money for both, but, priorities.

• Like 1

Big box stores will tend to not have what you need.  Look to our smaller, Local FFLs.

Found a couple locally to me, just gotta wait til the weekend when I'll actually have time to get there.  And I'd pay a  little more to buy from the little guy as opposed to the big box store.