Sign in to follow this  
OfcrFek

Strange AR-15 Handgun question....

So I'm seeing all these AR receivers marketed for Cali's new BS gun control nonsense where you permanently attach the magazine and have to pop the rear takedown pin, hinge it open, and reload it from the top.

My question is, if someone used one of these mods to do this to an AR pistol, would they be allowed to be over 50 oz, and have handguards, threaded barrel and sig brace? To be considered "evil features" it needs to be semi-auto AND have a detachable mag, right?

"Easiest" way I was thinking was a steel receiver, steel USGI mag and weld the 2 together, then refinish to make it look less like crap. lol

My bigger question was how to legally make a rifle receiver into a pistol receiver.... is it as simple as buying a receiver and bringing a P2P, and having the FFL write the serial but put that it's a pistol?

"Easiest" way I was thinking was a steel receiver, steel USGI mag and weld the 2 together, then refinish to make it look less like crap. lol

My bigger question was how to legally make a rifle receiver into a pistol receiver.... is it as simple as buying a receiver and bringing a P2P, and having the FFL write the serial but put that it's a pistol?

why steel? Aren't standard lowers aluminum? Aluminum lower and aluminum mags could be welded together just as easy as steel.

Ok this thread has me thinking. If I were to be able to permanently attach a mag to a lower am I still limited to 15 rounds? It's semi auto so I'm thinking yes 15 rounds only but I just want to make sure

Ok this thread has me thinking. If I were to be able to permanently attach a mag to a lower am I still limited to 15 rounds? It's semi auto so I'm thinking yes 15 rounds only but I just want to make sure

Yea it would still have to be 15

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

you know, I bet I could modify a maglula to work with a mag that's permanently in the mag well.

if you pinned/riveted a mag into a standard lower and didn't install the mag release mechanism, would that make it qualify?

I have some boy-was-that-a-mistake-purchase tennessee arms hybrid lowers here that might just be the thing to use.

I wouldn't lose any sleep with JB Weld-ing in the poorly molded mag release button hole, after installing the catch and pinning a mag in place.

As long as you have access to the bottom plate on the mag you could get it apart to clean and possibly clear a really nasty jam?

I guess the real question is, is it black and white on the the 'convertible' aspect? If I require a hammer, drill, and lots of time with the possibility of ruining the lower to remove the mag, does that qualify enough?

If someone could parse the laws a bit better I'd appreciate it.

As long as you have access to the bottom plate on the mag you could get it apart to clean and possibly clear a really nasty jam?

I was planning on using a 10 round mag just for this reason, that way the floor plate wouldn't be pinned on and would be removable for cleaning and such.

I have some boy-was-that-a-mistake-purchase tennessee arms hybrid lowers here that might just be the thing to use.

what didn't you like about the TA lower? I picked one up about a year ago and don't have any problems with it.