Ricky_Bobby

One (more) permit left, Striker/Polymer and under $700, What to buy....

Updated Thread 9/14/16!

Well one(more) permit left, burning a hole in my pocket (can't let them go to waste), lol!  Suggestions?

My Current lineup:

-1911SS Taurus .45ACP

-Taurus 605 - .357/.38

-Beretta Model 102 .22LR (old gun, similar to the "Sable" sold in the 70's)

-Glock 26 Gen4

-Walther PPQ M2 9mm

I'll get another GSSF purchase coupon next year (May)  Most likely would go towards a G43 or G19 (if I dont have one by then).  Trying to keep under $700 all in with any modifications.  (I like to do night sights and have at least 3 mags, on my Glocks I like to change the mag release button and slide lock too)

I'd still prefer to not add another caliber if possible (so that leaves 9mm or .45ACP options, I'm not looking to get another revolver right now), we have a Ruger 10/22 which shares ammo with the Beretta, although the Beretta is pretty old and doesn't get shot as much and I can't get magazines for it anymore either (its pushing 50 years old) -

What should I use my last permit on?

-Glock - G19 Gen4 (and use my GSSF next year on a different caliber Glock, maybe .45ACP, or the G43 to complete my trifecta of Glock 9mm) - I already have a mag for it so if I bought it I'd have 4 -

-Sig P320 - (availability is scarce as can be though?  and .45ACP Compact nowhere to be found)

-VP9 (top of budget with the LE version, 3 mags and night sights)

Anything else to add?  Ambi features is a plus as I'm lefty, I would get a PPQ in 45 as I love my 9mm but the 9mm was a birthday present so I will hold off for a while.

Here's my other deal:  I have a gift card to one of the local NJ ranges which also happens to have a very decent firearms selection, with about $165 remaining on it (6-7 sessions worth) - I could use it at their store for my purchase and get the G19 for under Blue Label pricing, or a VP9 about $75 less than another LGS would sell it for.  Or I could save the gift card for range time, and just pay regular price on a VP9, G19, etc - although I may be moving within the next year, would be nice to go to the range and not pay for it for the next 6-8 months - thoughts?

From my limited experience:

Ruger sp101 .22lr revolver (shoot much, spend little, no failures) (for $150 more the S&W 617)

Reliable "pocket" pistol (so you can pretend). the 9s will kill your hand. I have .380 ammo to sell you :)

Bulgarian, E. German, or Russian Makarov (accurate, reliable, cheap ammo, small)

• Like 1

Consider a CZ-75b or Clone such as the Tristar-120  I've got 2 CZ's and one Tristar and love them all.  Also, I second vote a 92FS or clone such as the Taurus PT-92... Ive got 2 Taurus clones of the 96FS (PT=100/101) and one of the 92FS (PT-92).  I like them more than both my Berettas

If you want a .22 I would suggest a Ruger 22/45. Extremely accurate and has the same grip as your 1911. Makes for a great trainer.

For 9mm my choice would be a CZ75b or CZ85 combat. (Or 1911 in 9mm.)

From my limited experience:

Ruger sp101 .22lr revolver (shoot much, spend little, no failures) (for $150 more the S&W 617)

Reliable "pocket" pistol (so you can pretend). the 9s will kill your hand. I have .380 ammo to sell you :)

Bulgarian, E. German, or Russian Makarov (accurate, reliable, cheap ammo, small)

I was DYING at the bold and in parenthesis LMAO -

VP9

I will definitely check it out and thanks to Krdshrk for the referral to PSA, good price!

A full size nine makes sense.  Get another hundred together and go for the PPQ M2 totally worth it.

I agree - the PPQ's are wicked sexy as well.

Probably makes more sense to save my GSSF coupon for next year for the Glock 19 - I could pick up a G43 now though and be well under the budget (and maybe the wife would want to go shooting Glocks with me) - however, kind of redundant since its a less capacity, thinner, lighter G26 that I already have.

I will have to hold the PPQ and the VP9 in hand in store - I will admit that my hands are less than average sized (I'm a Medium in motorcycle gloves), and on my G26 I can just reach the mag release - If I got the PPQ I'd really like the M2 version with the traditional mag release, both PPQ and VP9 have backstraps and side panels for grip so that should be nice and I'll have to see if I can configure it small enough to be comfy in the hand.

My 1911 for example, even with slim grip panels, I can't reach the mag release with my thumb without severely shifting grip - No Sig P320 fans?  I thought throwing that up there would get some fans, I saw Steve has a nice 2-tone FDE/Black one in stock.

I will have to hold the PPQ and the VP9 in hand in store - I will admit that my hands are less than average sized (I'm a Medium in motorcycle gloves), and on my G26 I can just reach the mag release - If I got the PPQ I'd really like the M2 version with the traditional mag release, both PPQ and VP9 have backstraps and side panels for grip so that should be nice and I'll have to see if I can configure it small enough to be comfy in the hand.

I did the same think and chose the PPQ M1 when they were $500 over the Vp9 for $700. If you like one, you'll likely love the other as well. Good luck choosing!

Keep in mind that only the VP9 has adjustable side panels. I heard some people mix and match with small and medium grip parts, but it may not even make a difference.

• Like 1

PSA has the HK VP9 for $520

Omg that is a smoking price and I do like the luminescent sights on the standard VP9 personally - the $100-150 price hike for night sights and extra mag isn't worth it and puts it way out of my budget.

Not that I want to influence your decision but I just picked up my PPQ 5" tonight. The ergos and trigger are the best I have felt. Even better than my XDM 5,25 or the several VP9s I have fondled and shot.

I agree its probably between PPQ and VP9 - ahhhhh decisions especially because that PSA price expires at Noon today!

Thanks so much guys as I forgot about the VP9 - will let you all know what I end up with

I did consider a 9mm 1911 but I'm a southpaw so I appreciate the ambi-mag releases on the striker fired pistols.

I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter if you are interesten on a .22lr

WTS Ruger Mark III Hunter

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enjgunforums%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F81146-WTS-Ruger-Mark-III-Hunter&share_tid=81146&share_fid=42596&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking into this too as I'm looking for something Easy to conceal if ever needed or able to. But I think ideally it's a little too big for that.

I had a sig p238 "pocket pistol" (in .380). At least one FTE (stovepipe) every magazine. No amount of cleaning helped. Arthritis made takedown tricky -- you had to line a notch on the slide with a barely visible (for me) marking on the frame or vice versa, just right. On a good day I could do it instantly; on a bad day 3-4 minutes and I was still frustrated. I should have sent it back to Sig but truthfully it was too light, even for .380. That's why I have .380 ammo to sell :) OTOH I have 2 CZ pistols, no failures of any kind ever, eyes-closed takedown. Does CZ make a "pocket" .380? 

Long-winded way of saying if you do want a pocket gun you should probably test one out beforehand. The recoil with standard defense calibers may startle you. Which is why I've been thinking of .22 magnum for future P2P...Caliber fags: I'm waiting and ready :)

I had a sig p238 "pocket pistol" (in .380). At least one FTE (stovepipe) every magazine. No amount of cleaning helped. Arthritis made takedown tricky -- you had to line a notch on the slide with a barely visible (for me) marking on the frame or vice versa, just right. On a good day I could do it instantly; on a bad day 3-4 minutes and I was still frustrated. I should have sent it back to Sig but truthfully it was too light, even for .380. That's why I have .380 ammo to sell :) OTOH I have 2 CZ pistols, no failures of any kind ever, eyes-closed takedown. Does CZ make a "pocket" .380?

Long-winded way of saying if you do want a pocket gun you should probably test one out beforehand. The recoil with standard defense calibers may startle you. Which is why I've been thinking of .22 magnum for future P2P...Caliber fags: I'm waiting and ready :)

Three views on your post... definitely should have sent the SIG back. The P238 and P938 are reliable pistols. I have a P938 SAS, and the gun has been 100% with everything I tossed into it. Sounds like a problem with the gun.

In regards to strength to pull back the slide, the SIGs are actually the more easier pocket pistols to work the slide. This is because most pocket pistols are blowback operated... requiring heavy recoil springs to function. For other pocket guns that are locked breached, light weights usually require heavier springs to slow the slide velocity. For someone with hand issues, I'd recommend a SIG P938 (I prefer to recommend the easier available/more capable caliber). If that doesn't work, I'd go with one of the Beretta pistols with a tip-up barrel (either the smaller caliber Bobcat, or the larger Cheetah; don't recommend the Tomcat, as I've seen issues with certain models).

In regards to .22 Magnum, I don't mind it... hell, I have a NAA Sidewinder Convertible sitting at the FFL for the 30 wait (picked up my SP-01 first). As a defensive caliber, I prefer centerfire over rimfire (the NAA is more of a poops and giggles purchase). For me, 9mm in a pocket gun (my P938 or my 642-1 which I had converted to 9mm) is fine. Don't need to go lower powered unless that is all someone can handle...

Three views on your post... definitely should have sent the SIG back. The P238 and P938 are reliable pistols. I have a P938 SAS, and the gun has been 100% with everything I tossed into it. Sounds like a problem with the gun.

In regards to strength to pull back the slide, the SIGs are actually the more easier pocket pistols to work the slide. This is because most pocket pistols are blowback operated... requiring heavy recoil springs to function. For other pocket guns that are locked breached, light weights usually require heavier springs to slow the slide velocity. For someone with hand issues, I'd recommend a SIG P938 (I prefer to recommend the easier available/more capable caliber). If that doesn't work, I'd go with one of the Beretta pistols with a tip-up barrel (either the smaller caliber Bobcat, or the larger Cheetah; don't recommend the Tomcat, as I've seen issues with certain models).

In regards to .22 Magnum, I don't mind it... hell, I have a NAA Sidewinder Convertible sitting at the FFL for the 30 wait (picked up my SP-01 first). As a defensive caliber, I prefer centerfire over rimfire (the NAA is more of a poops and giggles purchase). For me, 9mm in a pocket gun (my P938 or my 642-1 which I had converted to 9mm) is fine. Don't need to go lower powered unless that is all someone can handle...

The slide was very easy to pull back. It was just the combination of pulling and lining up that notch that got to me.

Have a Bond Arms Texas Defender in MINT Condition For Sale Comes with  with 410/45LC and 22 Magnum Barrels and a Driving Holster and Hard case. Over $600 worth of stuff for $500 or trade for equal value Firearm.  If you or anyone else is interestred  call or text 732-678-6706 for pictures

Get a Walther PPQ in .40 since you don't have that caliber yet. Or get one in 9mm. You can probably order it online and get a transfer for just around $600. I bought mine locally to support my LGS, but it's a kicking gun.

Don't want a .40. 9mm and .45 is good for me personally. I also have a couple revolvers so not looking to add more handgun calibers. Would rather buy in the ones I have and buy more ammo in bulk personally.

However, I will most likely go with it. I'm going to paraphrase something I wrote on another forum after I test drove in the showroom of Efingers (don't laugh, I pass them all the time since I live 10 mins away, prob would buy from them if they matched prices with other local LGS but they are always 10% higher) yesterday the VP9 and PPQ M2 - here are my notes from another forum.

"VP9 is great, out of the box with the medium straps it felt good in the hand - I have small hands so for a better grip I'd prob switch out the side panels and backstraps for the small. Smooth trigger, felt very similar to my Glock. Reset was crisp. I like the factory steel luminescent sights. The only thing I'm not huge on is the paddle mag release. If I had bigger hands it would be less of an issue, a slight rotation on grip to drop with my thumb, but it's not feasible with my hand size. I need to use my index or middle finger of my trigger hand to drop it smoothly without rotating grip to much. Solid weight in the hand, definitely a nice pistol.

PPQ = WOW. WHAT A TRIGGER. feels nothing like my Glock but both are great in their own ways. Glock's trigger is smooth, predictable, and stays constant throughout their lineup. The PPQ is totally different but I love it. Light with just enough takeup and so crisp. Wow.

Ergonomics for my small hands - out of the box with the medium backstrap my hands feel right at home on the grip - I don't even know if I'd switch the small backstrap. The mag release button is easily reached without shifting my grip at all! Something I couldn't say for my Glock out of the box (I put a Vickers Tactical extended mag release on it which rounds it out and puts the hump closer towards the back of the grip just enough to be easy to press)

Ambi slide release which is a plus. Lighter than the VP9 with an empty mag and a touch shorter in height and length of the VP9 as well.

I think I've made up my mind. Glock 19 next year with my discount (I am proud to carry my G26 out of state and when I move, in the meantime, it's perfect for that) - but I think I will be getting a PPQ with my next permit and if the .45 is any indication of the 9mm, I'll be getting one of those as well to join my 1911 at some point. What an amazing pistol for the price ($590 from Steve for 9mm)

Well worth spending the extra $50 that I would pay for a full price G19 IMO. Now I know why Hickok45 has such a conundrum with it even though he (and I) is a Glock guy."