DirtyDigz

Owning a M1919 in NJ?

Awesome Glenn.  Hey, I think we met briefly on the NJ2AS-sponsored bus down to Trenton a couple years back if you're the guy I'm thinking of.

I know little about M1919's other than I want one.  Is there a "cheap" option for a machine to link rounds, either using metal or cloth links?

Ok, I know that I'd have to refrain from linking more than 15 rounds together, but any other pitfalls of owning a semi-auto M1919 in NJ?

10000_238357.jpg

My GI Joe had one of those. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume they have been altered from FA to SA!

Has to be a semi-built receiver...

Once a receiver is full auto, it is considered full auto forever in the eyes of the Federal government. Reason why M14s can never be sold as surplus through the CMP.

The 1919 uses disintegrating links. I keep my links in 15 round lengths, if I go to PA I link them together and make 200 round lengths when I get there. Simple to do. The 1919 is one of the cool guns that in NJ that you can own without any modifications.

If you're asking me what links I use, I first bought a box of 1000 Israeli surplus - and they work fine. Think I paid $70 per 1000. Later I found a box of what I think are USGI, no big difference. The links are reusable.

If you're asking me how I link them together, so far I've done it all manually. I keep looking at the linkers, but I'm not sure how much faster that would be and if it's worth the $100 or so they get for them. You can link them at your leisure ahead of time in 15 round belts.

Any 7.62x51 / .308 reloaders out there want to do a little business?

One would need a manufacturer's license to sell ammo. I'd recommend getting a reloading press and asking an experienced reloader to teach you.
  • Like 1

You get the brass, powder and primers. I have the press and dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located (roughly, if you want), Sog?

One would need a manufacturer's license to sell ammo. I'd recommend getting a reloading press and asking an experienced reloader to teach you.

Hrmm, ok.  Can I trade beer/food/other ammo for reloaded ammo?

So I'm hearing from another NJ 1919 owner via another forum that there was, and I quote:

...There was a legal case in North Jersey a guys 1919 was seized and they were trying to prosecute. They kept it hush hush and the result. Typical. Do not even know the final result. They like keeping that info quiet so no one knows the legal status and they are fearful of getting in trouble. ...

"Gun Counter Folklore" like this drives me nuts - it's so often complete B.S.  But figured I'd run it past the old-timers here to see if anyone else ever heard anything about this and can provide some actual facts.

So I'm hearing from another NJ 1919 owner via another forum that there was, and I quote:

"Gun Counter Folklore" like this drives me nuts - it's so often complete B.S.  But figured I'd run it past the old-timers here to see if anyone else ever heard anything about this and can provide some actual facts.

I do remember hearing about this at the time it happened. I don't remember the details. But I think there was some issue with components used. This doesn't much deviate from the folklore category but Id keep digging if I were considering something fun in this category in NJ.

There is only one, single issue i could possibly forsee, and that is the 15 round limit BS. The only thing i would EVER be worried about is that they can take you to trial due to how easily you can link together two 15-round strips and make it 30rounds ZOMG.
My understanding was, even with 30rd mags, they have to be *permanently* modified to 15rds, which is why on the 15/30 pmags i believe they use epoxy, or with hexmags they are simply obsolete for anything else and cant be 'unconverted' like a pmag with spacer can.
I would contact NJSP firearms department and ask them, because i'd be shitting my pants if i got pulled over with them.
The gun itself should be fine, though? 

There is only one, single issue i could possibly forsee, and that is the 15 round limit BS. The only thing i would EVER be worried about is that they can take you to trial due to how easily you can link together two 15-round strips and make it 30rounds ZOMG.

My understanding was, even with 30rd mags, they have to be *permanently* modified to 15rds, which is why on the 15/30 pmags i believe they use epoxy, or with hexmags they are simply obsolete for anything else and cant be 'unconverted' like a pmag with spacer can.

I would contact NJSP firearms department and ask them, because i'd be shitting my pants if i got pulled over with them.

The gun itself should be fine, though? 

My understanding is that I'm legal as long as I never link more than 15 rounds together.

I do remember hearing about this at the time it happened. I don't remember the details. But I think there was some issue with components used. This doesn't much deviate from the folklore category but Id keep digging if I were considering something fun in this category in NJ.

Shane, around what "time" did it supposedly happen?

Edit, nevermind I think I've found a forum thread on it.  From what I'm reading, it happened circa 2011 and the owner built it himself from a Sarco parts kit.

Mine is coming in via a NJ FFL.