Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

New NFA Regulations Took Effect Wednesday

The treatment of trusts has changed, but the requirement for an individual to receive NFA approval from the local LEO has been removed, and replaced with a notification only.

Here is the Guns America article, and here is the ATF Handbook on the changes.

I knew about the additional trust requirements for fingerprints, but I didn't realize the LEO approval had been removed for individuals.

The issue that everyone is working on is what's notification? I send a letter to my CLEO,mine ATF audits me but how do I prove I sent a notification? CLEO in FL is normally county sheriff but now that it's notification vs sign off who can I send it to? O can choose the state police, a district or local judge now too.

I'm going bought four cans but I would like one for my 300 win mag so I guess I'm going to figure this out in the next couple weeks.

The issue that everyone is working on is what's notification? I send a letter to my CLEO,mine ATF audits me but how do I prove I sent a notification? CLEO in FL is normally county sheriff but now that it's notification vs sign off who can I send it to? O can choose the state police, a district or local judge now too.

I'm going bought four cans but I would like one for my 300 win mag so I guess I'm going to figure this out in the next couple weeks.

My guess is certified mail would suffice for notification.

My guess is certified mail would suffice for notification.

That's what I thought but it can be rejected. I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at guntrustlawyers.com.

You can have the document certified by your county clerks office. And get certified copies of the document for your own records. Monmouth charges $6/copy.

Then at least there is an official record that the document exists. It will be serialized/barcoded and kept by the county. I think that along with certified signature required receipt is probably sufficient proof if there ever is a problem.

it's just another dumb rule.  I'm going to get my fingerprints sent to the ATF and just mail the letters to the superior court judge and let it go with that.  However, wait times are up again because of this dopey ruling.