palmpilot

How safe is the area around G&S Hunters in Paterson?

I've never been to G&S Hunters but I am considering it as my go-to range every few weeks since it is only minutes from my house.

There are some older posts about them, and I am wondering if anyone here went there recently, or goes frequently who can help with my questions.

How's parking around G&S?

How safe is it to walk around there with an unloaded gun in a range-bag to-from the car? I am not familiar with this part of Paterson so truely curious how comfortable does one feel walking around there.

Thanks!

PP

Parking is street parking. what time would you be going? ive gone on sunday or saturday mornings and theres plenty of parking and nobody around. weekdays might be harder to find parking but still shouldn't be to hard. there's not much traffic around as its basically the end of downtown.

• Like 1

Parking is street parking. what time would you be going? ive gone on sunday or saturday mornings and theres plenty of parking and nobody around. weekdays might be harder to find parking but still shouldn't be to hard. there's not much traffic around as its basically the end of downtown.

Thank you Chris. I wasn't sure how busy they are on weekends (range wise) do you know? So I was thinking weekdays after 5p. I guess by that time I will be competing with local residents parking as they come back home.

So maybe I should give Sat/Sun mornings a try if the place is not crowded.

Personally I do not feel safe in the area.  Its an industrial area, scarce street parking during the week and on a  weekend everyone knows why you are in the area, if they have bad intentions you are the one who is unarmed bearing gifts.  Paterson is not known for their low crime rate.

The no lead ammo is a big reason I do not go, I reload lead ( started using polymer coated but not sure how those are treated ) no steel, no aluminum cases is a contributing factor.

Different prices based on if you bring your own ammo is a negative as well, again reloaders are penalized.

Their $22.50 vs GFH $25, I'll travel the few extra miles.

Not putting the place down, its the rules and location that keep me out.

The feel of the place reminds me of Hudson county pistol range and Paterson rod and gun in Hawthorne, both long gone.

Personally I do not feel safe in the area.  Its an industrial area, scarce street parking during the week and on a  weekend everyone knows why you are in the area, if they have bad intentions you are the one who is unarmed bearing gifts.  Paterson is not known for their low crime rate.

The no lead ammo is a big reason I do not go, I reload lead ( started using polymer coated but not sure how those are treated ) no steel, no aluminum cases is a contributing factor.

Different prices based on if you bring your own ammo is a negative as well, again reloaders are penalized.

Their $22.50 vs GFH $25, I'll travel the few extra miles.

Not putting the place down, its the rules and location that keep me out.

The feel of the place reminds me of Hudson county pistol range and Paterson rod and gun in Hawthorne, both long gone.

I agree that the price and distance gfh is much better of a deal. the only thing is the wait at gfh can get long on the weekends and if your short on time its faster to go here. The range is definitely older and kind of outdated.

There is County correction facility 50 yards from the place and sheriff's office very close by so that should be somewhat safe. They only allow to shoot pistols because the backstop is too thin for rifle ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I agree that the price and distance gfh is much better of a deal. the only thing is the wait at gfh can get long on the weekends and if your short on time its faster to go here. The range is definitely older and kind of outdated.

Don't recall ever having to wait at G&S, from what I recall its 7 ports in the basement, always managed to park on the street right near it.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem going there.  I always feel uneasy in the area, probably just me being overly cautions.

As for GFH, the lines have caused me to turn around and leave pretty much 50% of the time.  Now I pretty much only go there at opening time and wait for the doors to open.

This should be corrected next year with the expansion.  Probably even get a membership if it could speed up port access.

I was there a few times.  Parking is on the street, I usually was able to park just across the street from them.  Tried to be careful, always kept guns in a locked box.
They don't allow magnum, Not sure about rifles, I think I've seen a rifle there.  Membership is required, but it is not expensive.
Here it is: http://gshunters.com/shooting%20range/shooting%20range.htm

Don't recall ever having to wait at G&S, from what I recall its 7 ports in the basement, always managed to park on the street right near it.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem going there. I always feel uneasy in the area, probably just me being overly cautions.

As for GFH, the lines have caused me to turn around and leave pretty much 50% of the time. Now I pretty much only go there at opening time and wait for the doors to open.

This should be corrected next year with the expansion. Probably even get a membership if it could speed up port access.

Yea there's never a wait. I was saying the wait at gfh would make me go to g&s. Yea it's something like 7 ports in the basement. Like a dungeon, but it works.

Never had any issues with the area when going there.  Same with range, no issues as long as you are shooting brass case ammo, no magnum rounds, no centerfire rifle.  Kinda miss the place, never crowded and you basically did what you wanted.  Used to go often before GFH opened.  

Never had any issues with the area when going there.  Same with range, no issues as long as you are shooting brass case ammo, no magnum rounds, no centerfire rifle.  Kinda miss the place, never crowded and you basically did what you wanted.  Used to go often before GFH opened.  

did what you wanted till you heard on the speaker no rapid fire.