sroc112

My Day at the Range

So today i took a trip to RTSP this afternoon.  I have been anxious to shoot my new Mossberg 590 Pump so i took only that with me, and had the intention to rent a handgun to try something new out.  

Loved the Mossberg!  So powerful, and i actually shot it great for being my first time shooting a shotgun in general.  Fair warning to anyone else who is new to them - they get HOT fast!  I left my shooting gloves home but definitely a good idea to wear them while going through a handful of rounds with a pump.  Even if you don't intentionally touch the barrel you'll find at least a finger or two swipe against it as you pump and position your grip for a shot.  But loved it, glad i made that purchase.

I rented a Kimber 1911 full size in .45.  I chose to rent this because i have been looking into purchasing the Custom TLE II.  The one i rented i believe said Custom Target on it.  The gun shot great, and I shot it well - no complaints there.  However, out of the 50 rounds i put through it, i got jammed on 3 of them!  So was a little annoying.  I would like to chalk that up to the fact that there are so many rounds being fired through those rental guns and they don't get cleaned and lubricated often enough.  So i won't take that as a 100% example of how the gun would be new and with proper care.

I then traded that one in and since you have to stay with the same caliber when you rent in order to not pay additional, i was limited on .45's that i was actually interested in.  I grabbed the 3.3 inch Springfield XDS in .45.  I also have been looking into purchasing the XDS 3.3 in a 9mm, because i do not feel i need a .45 in such a small gun.  Well, i hated this gun.  The feeling in your hand is fine, when your not firing. But once you fire a few shots through it, it eventually started to feel awkward to me.  In addition, i couldn't hit anything with it!  Overall was not happy with this and think i will move on for now from considering the XDS or the Mod2 from my near future purchases.

At the end of the day it made me appreciate my Sig that much more!  I think I'm sold on being a Sig fan.

Anyways - just thought id share my experience for anyone who cares.  Thanks!

I have a couple Kimbers, including a Custom Target II and a TLE/RL II. I have no complaints at all, they're great guns. I wouldn't be too concerned with a few failures from a rental gun.

My Target model probably has about 6000 rounds through it. The TLE/RL I haven't had very long, maybe 1000 rounds so far. Both have been flawless for me though.

If you're into Sig, they make some nice 1911s as well. I recently picked up a Sig Nightmare off a forum member here and it's a very nice looking, well built pistol.

• Like 1

I always like it when I can see another shooters review of their experience with various firearms, it's food for thought when I get ready to look for myself. 

I doubt I'll ever be in a position to afford a Kimber, but I like looking at Jaguars and Maseratis  too, so,,,,,,thanks.

I love sigs but kind of feel for a 1911 I want to venture to either kimber or Springfield, but leaning toward kimber.

Ruger makes a pretty nice series 70 1911 too. They're well made and mine is pretty accurate.

There is a lot of Kimber hate on the Internet. They are good weapons.

There are better buys out there. I would take a Colt if you are spending that kind of money.

I don't hate them, it's just that from what I have seen, they are very pricy. Beautiful, but expensive.

Most of the Colts seem to be just about at the top of my range. Have to save for them, but doable.

I wouldn't write off the mod.2 just yet. It is a very different gun from the XDS. I would highly recommend you shoot the mod.2 before you decide against it. I have shot both, and bought the mod.2, hated the xds. Its apples to oranges between those two, even though they are both springfields.

173209.jpg

buy one of those. fill with favorite lube. keep on hand when renting. gun malf's... do a quick take down and apply some lube to the vital areas.

Note it comes with a cap to cover the needle.

What is this thing called? And where do I find it..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk