Sign in to follow this  
10X

Tappan Zee Bridge closed July 19

If any of you were planning to cross the tappan zee later today, find an alternate route. A crane collapse closed all lanes, both directions.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/19/crane-collapses-onto-tappan-zee-bridge-all-lanes-blocked.html

I got stuck in the mess a couple of months ago when the scrap iron truck flipped-over, blocking the bridge.  Turned a 4-hour ride back from the in-laws into an 8-9 hour mess trying to get over the GWB.

I suspect this is going to be much messier.....

Gov. Cuomo said late Tuesday afternoon the three northbound lanes -- coming from Westchester to Rockland -- reopened by 5:15 p.m. Two of the southbound lanes were expected to reopen later in the evening; the southernmost lane, which sustained significant surface damage and some structural damage under the bridge, would be closed for several days. 

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tappan-Zee-Crane-Collapse-Westchester-Lanes-NYC-Bridge-Traffic-387477431.html#ixzz4EtUXSWN6 

My customer territory was all of Rockland County,  and Westchester County,north of the Cross Westchester Expressway up to and including Brewster and lower Putnam County.  Hated crossing that bridge either way.  Fridays was the absolute worst.  Used to deliberately finish up in Peekskill, so I could cross the Bear Mountain Bridge and cut across the back roads to get on I-287 SB at Mahwah to avoid the summertime traffic, 

Fridays was the absolute worst. 

Which direction on Friday?     I know the GW is heavy into Jersey on Friday and the opposite on Sunday.  

I'm heading into Connecticut on a Friday in a few weeks and I know it's heavy, but I was hoping the same rule held true...outflow from Westchester Friday.   Also, any thought on when the bridge calms down?  I can travel pretty much any time on a Friday up to about 9pm.   I know later is better but I would like to go earlier but late enough to avoid the worst of the crush.

Westbound ('northbound' in turnpike lingo) is the bad direction on Friday afternoons. I've only done it between about 5:30-6:30 pm, so I don't know it varies with time.

By contrast, eastbound on Friday mornings is always very light, lightest traffic of the week.

Which direction on Friday?     I know the GW is heavy into Jersey on Friday and the opposite on Sunday.  

I'm heading into Connecticut on a Friday in a few weeks and I know it's heavy, but I was hoping the same rule held true...outflow from Westchester Friday.   Also, any thought on when the bridge calms down?  I can travel pretty much any time on a Friday up to about 9pm.   I know later is better but I would like to go earlier but late enough to avoid the worst of the crush.

Rockland county bound.  But, I can tell you with the daily lane changes. now most likely suspended due to the accident repair, even 3 lanes to Westchester would see a fair amount of traffic in the PM.  If you are planning to use the Cross Westchester  I-95 or I-684 or Hutch/Merritt or Saw Mill, or Sprain Brook/Taconic, that is no picnic either on a Friday PM.  Traffic from NYC and lower Westchester headed north as well. Plenty of alternate ways to get around. Which general way into CT.  When I had to be in Brewster or Bethel, CT (Danbury) early, I would take the Thruway north to I-84 east only added 11 miles to the trip and a lot less traffic.

You have to remember there is a floating 7th lane.  Four Westchester county bound in the AM and four Rockland county bound in the PM.  But none of the main thru roads in Rockland or Westchester can support the four lane feed from the bridge so traffic backs up anyway.

Rockland county bound. But, I can tell you with the daily lane changes. now most likely suspended due to the accident repair, even 3 lanes to Westchester would see a fair amount of traffic in the PM. If you are planning to use the Cross Westchester I-95 or I-684 or Hutch/Merritt or Saw Mill, or Sprain Brook/Taconic, that is no picnic either on a Friday PM. Traffic from NYC and lower Westchester headed north as well. Plenty of alternate ways to get around. Which general way into CT. When I had to be in Brewster or Bethel, CT (Danbury) early, I would take the Thruway north to I-84 east only added 11 miles to the trip and a lot less traffic.

+1 on that. The Hamilton Fish Newburg Beacon bridge is still only $1.50 too versus $5 for the Tapan Zee. You get those 11 miles back in cash.

I84 is a much nicer ride until you hit Waterbury.

Malsua, if central CT then 94 to 6 to thruway to 84.  If southern CT, 94 to 6 over Bear Mtn Bridge, south to Peekskill, then 202 to 35 to Ridgefied, CT faster than that Cross Weschester crawl or the I-95 stall to New Haven.