AVB-AMG

I have Racial Prejudice..... Do you as well?

I have racial prejudice.
Yes, I admit that I have racial prejudice and have probably always have since I was a young boy.

With the expanding inequality, intolerance and polarization that is occurring in America, as well as Europe, I think it is important that we all objectively consider who we really are and not just repeat stale, politically correct assumptions about race relations, whether filtered via liberal or conservative points of view. Race is a key topic in our Presidential political debate and one that cannot be addressed honestly without taking a realistic and sobering view of where we stand on the topic.

As a point of reference, I grew up in MN, NJ and PA as part of an upper middle class family where my mother and father provided my sister and me a loving, nurturing, educated upbringing. My parents were strict without being oppressive, instructing without being dogmatic, encouraging but not fanatical, having a Christian faith without being fundamentally religious. Like all families, we had a number of challenges over the years due to health, economic and extended family issues, but essentially it was a typical evolutionary upbringing from child, to teenager, to young adult during the 1960’s through the 1980’s.

My father was a naturalized American, born and raised in Sweden, having gone to school, college and graduate schools in multiple countries in Europe, learning to speak and understand seven different languages, all prior to emigrating to the US. I remember him always being more patriotic than most of our neighbors who were born in America, since he knew from his first hand experience what other countries political and social systems were like and their shortcomings compared to American democracy and capitalism. He knew the US Constitution, made sure we learned American history and instilled in us his appreciation for the supreme sacrifice born by American soldiers in all wars.

My mother was an only child, raised by a well to-do family in the Midwest of the US, went to college in TX and had a comfortable childhood, traveling via automobile to all 48 contiguous states with her parents and grandfather. Like many other couples, their marriage produced the “goulash soup” parenting philosophy born of different experiences, yet similar values that they passed on to their children. Did they harbor racial prejudices? Yes…., I think to a certain degree. My mother probably more so due to her exposure to a more rigid racial caste system in the Midwest and South. My farther probably more on an ethnic basis due to his exposure to the various nationalistic (and tribal), rivalries in Europe.

We lived in upper middle class suburban towns and communities which meant that 99.5% of our neighbors for a multi-block radius around us were white, but of various ethnic heritages, including English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Polish and Scandinavian.  The first time I was really exposed to black children was in 7th grade when we had to attend a new racially-integrated junior high school. It was true culture shock, but in hindsight, very healthy and necessary. But I do remember never wanting to use the boy’s restroom for the entire 7th and 8th grades since they were known areas where some white boys would be shaken down for their lunch money. For the most part, we self-segregated when at school and this continued through the 12th grade of high school, (and beyond….).

I like to think that from this experience and my continued exposure to people of other races and ethnicities, that I am more willing to accept people not like me, as equal contributors, either at school in an academic environment or at work collaborating on a project.
I have worked with many blacks as part of my job and for the most part have gotten along just fine with them and probably interact more proactively with them than many of my peers. These are folks who I have gotten to know on a regular basis and therefore my feelings have been modified based on this interaction. But in reality, my impulsive first impressions on meeting someone who is black who I do not know, is one of pre-judgment, assumptions and categorization. Until I get to know them better, I am suspicious and uncertain of them, their intelligence, education, motives, work ethic and trustworthiness. This racial profiling may be true for first impressions we all have about anyone we meet for the first time, regardless of race or ethnicity, but I am definitely more cognoscente of this with black people.
Is this wrong or unfortunate? Yes, I think so.
But is this also just realistic human nature in our society and culture today? Probably…
Will this attitude change for me and others like me? Most likely not for the foreseeable future.

Essentially, I think that all of us, (Caucasians, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.....), have racial prejudice.

The important qualifier is: to what degree and how do we express it......?.

I like to think that I keep my racial prejudice in check and therefore it does not adversely affect others, but that may just be a rationalism or wishful thinking. It is another thing to act either irrationally or do or say hurtful things to others based on this and I consciously try not to do that. I try to be tolerant and give folks the benefit of the doubt, but it seems to be getting to be more of a challenge these days. I do know that I try not to be overt about it with others or in a public setting, while sharing my true feelings with family members in private.

If you have studied world history, you know that all sorts of events were either partially or wholly motivated by racism, including some of the worst man-against-man atrocities in history.
An important distinction is that it is one thing to have racial prejudice thoughts, that include suspicions, concerns or negative feelings, and another thing to act on them in a mean spirited way.

I think it is human nature to want to be around people who look like you and share many other social values and economic traits, as well as political philosophies. As a result, I believe that our American society consciously self-segregates, seeking these traits, and will most likely continue to do so in my life time. I am not proud of this fact about myself, but I acknowledge and accept it and am willing to admit it to others. I am curious what you all believe and are also willing to honestly share your feelings on this topic on the NJGF. Anyone care to also share your thoughts and perspective…?

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

racistequal.png

Bet me to it. I've been saying that forever. Only I say, "I hate everyone in general"... But in essence, I hate nobody till you give me reason to. If you do, it will not matter if your pink with purple pooka dots or screw camels. I will hate you and tell you so.

I was born in Paterson but was raised in West Paterson, (now Woodland Park)....

My father was a bigot. But he kind of grew out of it before he died. I was born and raised in Paterson. My father lived in the days of The Fonz, hanging on street corners and smoking Marlboro and chasing chicks. They got kicks out of whooping the 'other' color if you knew what I mean.

Nobody messed with him. He was a boxer and weight lifter.

All I heard was his stories all the while he took us kids for a ride through Paterson every weekend. "We kicked this guys butt here, I boxed over there", you name it.

I hated his bigotry. I liked everyone. But as I got older and seen that the 'others' considered us undesirables more than we did, my tolerance grew short. I adopted that cliche' with the thinking, I'd never be my father. I had friends and coworkers of all different flavors. Most of what I could call my friends. Some were like family to me.

Today, it is sad. We've stepped back decades of what brought us this far. I don't see it changing. They have to change within. Most of us don't need to as long as they give us the respect they want in return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally think this "racism" topic goes deeper into human psych than we may realize. I lived in countries where there is no "white man". Yet, people preferred, in selecting their partner, social association, etc, a "fairer" (is that a word?) person/group compared to a dark skinned. In some places, people were afraid of darker ones and in some places, they were seen as "lower" cast / social structure than lighter skinned population.  Sometimes I wondered if this is something deep within going all the way back to stone age and/or general association with light / darkness, day/night thing.  Similar to how most people of afraid of small bugs / crawling creatures. 

99.99% of us have pre-conceived notion about most things in life, including about others we interact with, based on how they look. Visual perception & feedback is HUGE part of survival.  To fall outside that 99.99% group, one has to accept everything with open arms without questioning, and I doubt anyone can survive that (human or animal). 

On the other hand, there are other things that contribute to that first impression. Clean looks, talks and walks properly, curtesy, smell (or lack there of) etc that differentiates people regardless of color of their skin. 

Experiment: Pick someone who claims they are not racist, put two AR15 firearms in front of them. One in standard black and other in wood or light /plain colored. Ask them which one they think is more dangerous. 

On 7/19/2016 at 2:19 PM, RootSki said:

One man's racism is another's freedom of association.  

RootSki:

I think that is an over simplification....  

Freedom of association is a choice, as is racism, but one that is more easily changed.

AVB-AMG

AVB-AMG, you are clearly a deep thinker with lots of time on your hands.  I did not even have the attention span to read all that.

Please don't take that as a negative.  I appreciate your observations, and admire your intellectual enthusiasm.  

I don't think it's racism as it was defined not so many years ago but extending way back. It used to believed that ALL blacks were a completely different and inferior race. That is racism, that is prejudice. Now? Now we have culturalism. It just happens that one culture is adopted by many black people. That culture may have an origin in real racism but it is prolonged by those who adopt it. It is that culture and outlook I don't agree with and won't associate with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "racist" is a media buzzword used to intimidate elected officials and public figures.  I always correct anyone who throws that word out there without checking their "backstop" and tell them to use the words "ethnically aware" in its place.   

I just hate east coast people, 9 out of 10 are a-holes regardless of skin color or national orgin

I just hate east coast people, 9 out of 10 are a-holes regardless of skin color or national orgin

East coast, west coast, all around the town. La, lala, lala-la...

Does that mean 9 out of 10 people here are a-holes?

nope, just you...

Anyone so concerned about what somebody else thinks, and then turn those thoughts into being right or wrong, has a problem

I was told by like three people that I was a racist because I voted for McCain and Romney instead of Obama...

Two out of those three still think he is a great president. So, I make sure to remind them of all the garbage that is occurring due to him each time I see them.

Right! lol. If you really hate east coast people chances are you've never spent any real time on the west coast,or anywhere really. As if people are really that much different based on where they live.

I believe they are! I have locations and employees all over the country. I HATE dealing with the ones from Mass, generally arrogant blow hards that continually contrive and argue even when there is no point to it, and California, whom are just always out in left field or on another planet and can never track whats going on in a discussion.

nope, just you...

Anyone so concerned about what somebody else thinks, and then turn those thoughts into being right or wrong, has a problem

Now look who is being an asshole. I asked you a question. Your thoughts not mine. But feel free to call me whatever you want. I hide behind no tree.

Shane, my point is, you will find something to dislike about people anywhere you go.... People are certainly different based on where they live, the whole NY fast paced get out of my way mentality, and the California laid back superficial mind set. While the N. east might tell you your a prick to your face, the west coast will be quick to do it behind your back.

People, and i mean everyone, have biased opinions. Very rarely do i see it about race anymore. People are largely divided in their opinions, and those who are sick of paying for others free rides are generally just labeled racists now. I could go on a rant days long about why this country is messed up and why people hate each other without once mentioning race.

Right! lol. If you really hate east coast people chances are you've never spent any real time on the west coast,or anywhere really. As if people are really that much different based on where they live.

It's not east coast, it is NJ, NY and all the other NE/mid atlantic high population density areas. We just have too many people living too close together. IT brings out the jerk in people. People might not be nicer other places, but they do tend to actively stress each other out a bit less as far as daily routine goes. 

I've lived all over this country (not just visited or passed through) and there are jerks all over but they are concentrated in the north eastern states with NJ struggling to take and hold the title of biggest a-holes

Now look who is being an asshole. I asked you a question. Your thoughts not mine. But feel free to call me whatever you want. I hide behind no tree.

LOL, I answered your question honestly and now you call me names...

It's not east coast, it is NJ, NY and all the other NE/mid atlantic high population density areas. We just have too many people living too close together. IT brings out the jerk in people. People might not be nicer other places, but they do tend to actively stress each other out a bit less as far as daily routine goes.

I do agree with your sentiments, but that's not really the conversation here. If you implant someone from one place in the US to another, I guarantee they will find many things they don't like about the people living there. You guys are making the conversation about what group of people are the biggest jerks, and that isn't the purpose of the discussion. Even Midwesterners are the biggest bigots I've ever met.

If you implant someone from one place in the US to another, I guarantee they will find many things they don't like about the people living there. 

wrong, NJ people go out of their way to find things wrong with others and go out of their way to treat others poorly and they're always on defense because they believe everyone is out to take something from them

Granted there are jerks everywhere but the highest concentration is in the NE and specifically NJ

wrong, NJ people go out of their way to find things wrong with others and go out of their way to treat others poorly.

Granted there are jerks everywhere but the highest concentration is in the NE and specifically NJ

If you go outside any major metropolitan area, you'll find people are much much nicer.