High Exposure

Massachusetts AG - new assault weapons ban

So, the Mass Attorney General is looking to shut down a "loophole" in their assault weapons laws that lets you purchase state neutered versions of weapons on their ban list. This is a similar provision to the one in NJ laws that we use to purchase a NJ legal "AR16" or "AK48" instead of the banned and deadly "AR15" and "AK47" in conjunction with "evil features" musical chairs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/20/mass-attorney-general-says-she-crack-down-assault-weapons/8xmuDyW6DR1tkt7mBNncRK/story.html

Thanks to Consig for pointing this out to me and ruining my day.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/met...t7mBNncRK/story.html

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey says she’s cracking down on assault weapons.

Healey, in an opinion piece in Wednesday’s Boston Globe, says the state’s assault weapons ban contains a “loophole of potentially horrific proportions.”

Healey described the action at a morning news conference at her office, where she was flanked by law enforcement officials, community leaders and anti-violence activists.

At the event, she said she had put gunmakers and sellers on notice that they are not allowed to sell what she described as guns designed to circumvent the state law. She said such changes are “small tweaks that do nothing to limit the deadliness of the weapon.”

She said her office had begun looking at the law in the wake of the deadly Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, where a gunman killed 49 people.

View Story

Maura Healey: The loophole in the Mass. assault weapons ban

The gun industry has found a way to exploit state laws, a loophole of potentially horrific proportions. That ends today.

Map: Mass. towns with the most gun dealers

Live: Maura Healey press conference

Healey said the recent killing of police in Baton Rouge and Dallas, along with the fatal shootings of black men at the hands of police, have only added to the urgency.

She described her action as “a step” toward reducing gun violence.

“It is not a total panacea, I recognize that, but it is a step,” Healey said.

The state already has an assault weapons ban that mirrors a former federal ban, which was lifted in 2004, in prohibiting the sale of specific weapons like the AR-15 or AK-47 as well as “copies or duplicates” of those weapons, Healey wrote in her opinion piece.

“But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a ‘copy’ or ‘duplicate’ weapon is. They market ‘state compliant’ copycat versions of their assault weapons to Massachusetts buyers,” Healey wrote.

“They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon.”

Healey said a directive she had sent to all gun manufacturers and dealers would end that confusion, making it clear that such alterations and sales are illegal under the state ban.

“With this directive, we will ensure we get the full protection intended when lawmakers enacted our assault weapons ban, not the watered-down version of those protections offered by gun manufacturers,” Healey wrote.

Healey said the customers who bought these guns before the directive won’t be affected.

“We recognize that most residents who purchased these guns in the past believed they were doing so legally, so this directive will not apply to possession of guns purchased before Wednesday,” Healey wrote.

Healey said 10,000 assault weapons were sold in Massachusetts last year, and in the week after the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando sales jumped 450 percent in Massachusetts alone.

Looks like they are using our own argument against us by taking the opposite approach from our usual eye-rolling at the silliness of the laws that only address the cosmetic differences. They are recognizing that the cosmetic differences really have no bearing on the function of the firearms, and instead of using that as a rational for repealing the laws like we do, they are looking to eliminate an entire class of weapons by stating that a mere cosmetic alteration is not an acceptable alternative.
  • Like 1

^^I agree - and thankfully weapons purchased prior are not affected - which is why I say don't wait and buy what you want NOW - even if we go to 10 rounds someday it will be for future purchases going forward - the state isn't going to pay me to replace 30 magazines above 10 rounds for example

I was listening to the NPR the other day on the way in to work (I know I know). They were talking about how there was little movement at the federal level regarding gun control - but - on the state level there has been a ton. Between 1990 and 2014 there were over 20,000 pieces of gun control introduced with over 3,000 becoming law. Some were pro gun, most were not.

http://www.npr(DOT)org/2016/07/12/485726439/mass-shootings-influence-spike-in-gun-related-laws-at-state-level

*replace the (DOT) with .

This is "Death by a million cuts". States will continue to chip away at rights and challenges will take years to be heard at the SCOTUS level, which by then will make the new restrictions feel normal.

If Hillary wins, we are even worse off. There will most likely be 3-4 SCOTUS Justices appointed by the next POTUS. If she gets to choose them they will be of the most liberal people imaginable.

• Like 1

Enjoy the brief effective period of your directive until it is challenged and ruled unconstitutional, Ms. Healey. 

There's been a sea change since the 90's and the first AWB - AR's aren't the oddball any more.  Since AR pattern rifles are now the most popular and widespread rifle in the United States you're going to have a real tough row to hoe to survive a challenge to the constitutionality of a ban.

Enjoy the brief effective period of your directive until it is challenged and ruled unconstitutional, Ms. Healey.

There's been a sea change since the 90's and the first AWB - AR's aren't the oddball any more. Since AR pattern rifles are now the most popular and widespread rifle in the United States you're going to have a real tough row to hoe to survive a challenge to the constitutionality of a ban.

That argument is a double edged sword. The down side being that now that the AR platform is so prevalent, they are being used in more and more crimes and terror attacks.

3 years or so ago, you never read about an "assault weapon" (I fucking hate that term) being used in the commission of a crime. We have had multiple attacks, crimes, and murders perpetrated this last month alone with a Tavor, and AR, and an AK74.

• Like 1

That argument is a double edged sword. The down side being that now that the AR platform is so prevalent, they are being used in more and more crimes and terror attacks.

3 years or so ago, you never read about an "assault weapon" (I fucking hate that term) being used in the commission of a crime. We have had multiple attacks, crimes, and murders perpetrated this last month alone with a Tavor, and AR, and an AK74.

Because they are sweet, sweet eyeball bait for the media, so every time something a shooting happens with something that even looks like  (if you squint sideways) an "assault weapon", you are guaranteed to see it non-stop for 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the boring every day onsie and twosies of unlawful killings with handguns, usually by people with prior criminal records, that make up the overhwelming majority of firearm deaths continue to accrue and we're lucky if they make it into the police blotter in the local free paper.

And this is why I continue to point out that focusing on the implement is a huge mistake. This is why I disagree with laws that have greater penalties for firearms. It takes the focus off the actor and onto the implement. In my view there is no difference if the actor used an AK, a Peterbuilt, a gallon of gas, match and chains or a Boing to perpetrate his attack......

Crime kept within certain limits is a politician's friend.  Re-election fodder.  Imagine NJ's overall crime rate if we were to target real enforcement to the problem areas? This game is making too many enemies.   

There's been a sea change since the 90's and the first AWB - AR's aren't the oddball any more.  Since AR pattern rifles are now the most popular and widespread rifle in the United States you're going to have a real tough row to hoe to survive a challenge to the constitutionality of a ban.

Ummm, have you been paying attention to Second Amendment cases in the courts in the past few years?  AWBs have already been upheld in several circuits.  And with Hillary headed towards the White House, the Supreme Court will swing to a liberal majority in short order.  Do NOT expect any court to come in and save the day.  We will be luck if Heller and McDonald aren't overturned.  That's just reality, unless Trump somehow pulls off a win, which will have its own set of problems.  Basically, on guns, everything will depend on locale.  Gun rights will be upheld or even expanded in red states, and in deep blue states like MA and NJ gun and magazine bans and confiscations are here or just around the corner.

Correct. You can't look at a law in Mass as a template for a law in NJ. NJ politicians will look at that and saw - how can we make it more restrictive and binding? You know, for the children :rolleyes:

Sigh - I do agree with you guys - I will be long gone when that happens - by mid to end next year (at latest) we will be in NC, breathing fresh free air - once it gets too oppressive down there, we are going straight to Texas - as I've said it once and said it again, the last frontier of freedom

There is also the other side of that same argument. Have at-15s gotten so prevalent and carry for that matter that pushing harder will get to the point where people ignore the law? People have always said hunters don't stick up for modern sporting rifle owners. How far until the scary black rifle owners become the primary gun owners in the state making hunters opinions irrelevant?

Unfortunately the constitution as written has become meaningless to four of the justices. Whatever they say is what the law becomes. And remember for the past 8 years the courts have been packed with anti-gun Obama appointees.

Just look at NJ post Heller. The NJ Supreme Court still doesn't recognize a right to keep and bear arms. 

And people on this board and others that own guns will STILL vote for Democrat politicians. It can't be made more obvious than this, that Democrat party politicians hate YOU personally for owning firearms, and will work to keep chipping away until confiscation. There will be and has been spillover into other areas most notably Title IX. The ovverach and edicts won't be lmited to just guns

• Like 4

Part of the problem is some of the amazingly stupid gun owners out there.  I had a heated discussion with a guy here in NJ that shoots a .45 Colt Gold Cup or some other such gun who told me that The .223 rolls on impact. That's why there were only deaths in Newtown, no wounded. Are you on the NRA payroll? Heartless fool.  He then proceeded to present the following article on why AR-15s should be banned:

https://publichealthwatch.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/fact-check-the-gun-lobby-claims-assault-weapons-are-no-more-dangerous-than-hunting-rifles-the-human-body-begs-to-differ/

And people on this board and others that own guns will STILL vote for Democrat politicians. It can't be made more obvious than this, that Democrat party politicians hate YOU personally for owning firearms, and will work to keep chipping away until confiscation. There will be and has been spillover into other areas most notably Title IX. The ovverach and edicts won't be lmited to just guns

This.

I know this is a gun board and as such our main focus has always been the 2A, but we need to look at the bigger picture and make others, those whose priority isn't necessarily 2A issues, look as well.

The 2A is the weather bell. Once that falls, the strategies used to erode our constitutional right to bear arms will be used to strip other rights away in the future.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is some of the amazingly stupid gun owners out there. I had a heated discussion with a guy here in NJ that shoots a .45 Colt Gold Cup or some other such gun who told me that The .223 rolls on impact. That's why there were only deaths in Newtown, no wounded. Are you on the NRA payroll? Heartless fool. He then proceeded to present the following article on why AR-15s should be banned:

https://publichealthwatch.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/fact-check-the-gun-lobby-claims-assault-weapons-are-no-more-dangerous-than-hunting-rifles-the-human-body-begs-to-differ/

The link doesn't work, but based on the title, I don't think I want to read the stupidness therein.

:facepalm: I don't know how you didn't throat punch him.

If we are banning guns based on "death power" ask him how he is going to hunt in NJ without his shotgun?

The link doesn't work, but based on the title, I don't think I want to read the stupidness therein.

If we are banning guns based on "death power" ask him how he is going to hunt in NJ without his shotgun?

I just clicked on the link in Tapatalk and it opened the link with no problem.

More generally: We now have to abide by the INTENT of the law, not the actual wording of it? Do we now live in a country where "rule of law" is reduced to something that subjective? A "loophole" is now "that's not what we meant"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idiots.

Stupidness indeed.

My daughter saw some holes in a target from 12 ga. slugs.   She was shooting an AR and the relative size of the hole is pretty dramatic.  She asked me what kind of gun those were from?  Told her in a sarcastic way... "oh not from one of those evil, deadly AR's like you're shooting now and leftist want to ban.  Those were from a much less lethal 12 ga. rifled slug."   She gave me the eye roll and muttered something about moronic, idiotic politicians.

The article is very telling. They are comparing a .22lr bolt action "small game" rifle with a .223/5.56. Yeah it is way more powerful. They just ignore reality and win their straw argument. People that know nothing will read it and agree. This is always their strategy.

Yeager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha for once i completely agree with him. he's a sarcastic fk (kinda like it), but he's 100% correct. rebellion was literally born in this country in the state of massachusetts. for all the "molon labe" this and "molon labe" that, what will they do? same question to the people of california, but that's a state of hippies. no rich tradition of rebellion there...

• Like 1