7-3-2

Heading out of state

Just closed on my ex-nj home. The lawyer said if you are not moving to another nj address, then 2% of the sale price is withheld as part of state income tax. You can get it back during tax season. The state does check as it's tied to the deed transfer. You can bypass this if you get an accountant to certify that you didn't make any taxable income on the sale.

None of this affects the "realty transfer fee" which is a 1% sales tax the seller pays no matter where you move to, or how much you lost.

I paid $0 tax when I moved. IIRC, if you have lived in your home for more the 5 years prior to the sale, there is no tax.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I paid $0 tax when I moved. IIRC, if you have lived in your home for more the 5 years prior to the sale, there is no tax.

It's there, buried deep in the hud, it's never mentioned...

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/lpt/rtffaqs.shtml

There is no exit tax per se. It's an income tax withholding that makes sure you pay your income tax liability. Anything that's paid, if anything is collected, is applied as an income tax payment. When you file your taxes it will be trued up and netted against any liability or returned as a refund.

Nope. Nothing taken out at settlement.

Of course, I did not sell until 2014, a year after I moved. Taxes for 2013 were already filed.

I had recently posted this in another thread but am reposting it here where it is more appropriate and the discussion is still active.  I am old enough to realize that every State has its positive and negative attributes and we all need to determine what is most important to us when considering where we want to live.  As I approach retirement age, my wife and I plan to eventually leave NJ, probably within the next 5-6 years, moving to another state.

After 18 years of living in New Jersey, my wife and I are now contemplating where we want to live as part of our downsizing for the next chapter of our lives.  Like many here, we have come to realize that while we have and do enjoy living in NJ, it is becoming increasingly less desirable for a number of reasons that have been thoroughly discussed.  We have narrowed down our next home state to be either VA or NC.  Specifically, either the area around Asheville or Chapel Hill, NC or Charlottesville, VA. Our selection criteria included the following, by comparison to NJ, (not listed in the order of preference):

-       lower state income tax

-       lower real estate taxes

-       higher ceiling for estate tax

-       lower cost of living

-       more friendly people

-       recent quality constructed condominium townhomes or smaller houses with garages

-       good access to quality healthcare facilities

-       better weather (less snow)

-       less air and water pollution

-       not prone to natural disasters, (hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, wild fires, mud slides, etc.)

-       less automobile traffic congestion and more convenient parking

-       less population density

-       proximity to a college/university for continuing education

-       proximity to beautiful state and national parks

-       access to abundant potable water, (something that people in the southwest US are now realizing!)

-       in a State that has sensible, reasonable gun laws

-       a general sense of local and state moderate political sanity, (as opposed to either dogmatic right-wing or left-wing governance)

AVB-AMG

IMHO, North Carolina has much more "sensible and reasonable gun laws" compared to New Jersey.  The students, faculty and administrative folks at Univ. of North Carolina (UNC) – Chapel Hill, combined with those of nearby Duke University in Durham, makes for a general politically left-leaning sentiment for the local population in that metropolitan area.

My wife's sister's family lives in Chapel Hill, NC and my brother-in-law has quite an arsenal of various firearms and many friends and neighbors who are also gun owners.  This past spring when we last visited them, we all went sporting clay shooting at a nearby range using their guns, (and my shotgun that I brought with me), and enjoyed the day with them and their family friends shooting.  We also went to a local range to shoot handguns the next day.  He proudly has his CCW permit from NC.  From what I have experienced there, guns are far more accepted, even in that liberal-leaning part of NC.

Charlottesville, VA has a similar flavor in that vein, but with the more appealing scenic Southwest Mountains that are parallel to the Blue Ridge Mountains in southern VA.  But for the sheer breathtaking beauty, Asheville, NC has the Great Smokey Mountains with the low hanging fog in the early mornings.

AVB-AMG

Most of us are in NJ due to several reasons.  Some of us were born and/or raised here, went to school here, have other family members here or in close proximity that we want to be near and/or our specific work/profession essentially requires us to be in the NYC metro region.  But it is still a choice.  As we all grow older, and NJ continues to deteriorate on a number of levels, we each are asking ourselves is it really worth it or absolutely necessary to continue to live here.  The reality of NJ's increasing population density that contributes to worsening traffic congestion and pollution, increasing cost of living and rampant political corruption, along with its ridiculous gun laws, are certainly reasons for all of us to consider alternative states to live and work.  

As others have noted on other threads, as many baby boomers consider where they plan to live once they retire, many decide to move out of NJ (or NY, CT, MA, etc…) and are choosing to move to a number of southern states, such as VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, etc…  Invariably, they will bring their culture and political preferences with them and these southern states will continue to evolve politically and will slowly turn from red to purple states.  It is already happening and is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.  I can live with that….  For us, either VA or NC will be a big improvement over NJ for when we are ready to turn to the next page in our lives.

AVB-AMG

^^Great points - we are also looking in the Raleigh-Durham metro area to move - we also looked at Asheville and still are considering Knoxville TN metro area but likely leaning to R-D (my in-laws have a beach house on the OBX so its conveniently 3 hours away if we are in R-D)

We considered Virginia but its too close to the poisonous DC metro beltway area and its progressive policies, so even though I'd have a lot of Hillary signs in the area we are considering (Asheville is similar, in the city itself) - overall the state respects gun rights -

We are listing our house in October, hope to be out of here within 12 months - We are buying a less expensive house (about 100k less than we could sell our house for) so we should do ok -

Asheville is gorgeous but its a heck of a drive from the beach (we like the shore obviously, being from Jersey) - and its a lot of research moving to the mountains, and also not sure about how easy it is to find work out there.  For now, my wife and I can work remote which is a plus, but we probably wouldn't keep our current jobs working remotely forever, which is why for us being outside a metro hub like R-D is probably best for us.

Good luck man - maybe we'll be neighbors someday!

-J

I like the snow, mountains and a relatively short drive to the beach. So New Hampshire is my go to state. Hopefully in 24 more years I can retire and move up there full time but I hope to buy property within the next 5 years so I can start building my cabin. Looking for 50+ acres in the Mt washington valley area.

^^Great points - we are also looking in the Raleigh-Durham metro area to move - we also looked at Asheville and still are considering Knoxville TN metro area but likely leaning to R-D (my in-laws have a beach house on the OBX so its conveniently 3 hours away if we are in R-D)

We considered Virginia but its too close to the poisonous DC metro beltway area and its progressive policies, so even though I'd have a lot of Hillary signs in the area we are considering (Asheville is similar, in the city itself) - overall the state respects gun rights -

We are listing our house in October, hope to be out of here within 12 months - We are buying a less expensive house (about 100k less than we could sell our house for) so we should do ok -

Asheville is gorgeous but its a heck of a drive from the beach (we like the shore obviously, being from Jersey) - and its a lot of research moving to the mountains, and also not sure about how easy it is to find work out there.  For now, my wife and I can work remote which is a plus, but we probably wouldn't keep our current jobs working remotely forever, which is why for us being outside a metro hub like R-D is probably best for us.

Good luck man - maybe we'll be neighbors someday!

-J

Ricky_Bobby:

Thank you.  BTW, we also have a beach house on the northern part of the NC Outer Banks, which we will most likely sell at the same time as we sell our NJ residence.  For a point of reference, our relatives in Chapel Hill, NC need approx. 5 1/2 hours to drive to the OBX, where it takes us approx. 8 hours from northern NJ.  So I would assume it would be around a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive from the Raleigh-Durham area.

Also, you may already know about this place, but when we are in the OBX, when the weather is nice I like to go down to the Outer Banks Gun Club in Manns Harbor, NC, just west off of Rt. 64, across the sound from Manteo on Roanoke Island.  It is not very big but as we all know, nothing beats shooting outside...  Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.obxgc.org/

Good luck with you upcoming move.....

AVB-AMG

I like the snow, mountains and a relatively short drive to the beach. So New Hampshire is my go to state. Hopefully in 24 more years I can retire and move up there full time but I hope to buy property within the next 5 years so I can start building my cabin. Looking for 50+ acres in the Mt washington valley area.

fishnut:

When we drive back to NJ from vacationing on Mt. Desert Island in Maine, we avoid the Rt. 1 / I-95 traffic and head west for a more scenic and leisurely drive back to NJ.  We drive around the northern part of the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire on Rt. 2, leading to I-93 south.  

It is a subliminally beautiful natural environment in the area you are looking to purchase land and only about an hour and a half drive to Portland, ME on the coast. You are a braver sole than me to be willing to endure the northern NH winters, but good luck in your property search.

AVB-AMG

Ricky_Bobby:

Thank you.  BTW, we also have a beach house on the northern part of the NC Outer Banks, which we will most likely sell at the same time as we sell our NJ residence.  For a point of reference, our relatives in Chapel Hill, NC need approx. 5 1/2 hours to drive to the OBX, where it takes us approx. 8 hours from northern NJ.  So I would assume it would be around a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive from the Raleigh-Durham area.

Also, you may already know about this place, but when we are in the OBX, when the weather is nice I like to go down to the Outer Banks Gun Club in Manns Harbor, NC, just west off of Rt. 64, across the sound from Manteo on Roanoke Island.  It is not very big but as we all know, nothing beats shooting outside...  Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.obxgc.org/

Good luck with you upcoming move.....

AVB-AMG

Thanks!  And my in-laws are on the Southern Outer Banks on the "crystal coast" - Pine Knoll Shores to be exact but everyone says Atlantic Beach/Morehead City if they aren't from the area -

Last time when we were leaving our hotel in West Raleigh, took us exactly 3 hours door to door with stops - I guess the Northern OBX is a bit farther!  There is a good shooting range in Havelock (sp?) which is approx 30 mins from my in-laws house, when we go down in October I plan to do some nice outdoor shooting and much more affordably than up here!

Btw, stupid question but as long as I'm traveling with my firearms safely to NC, nothing to worry about in regards to bringing a couple pistols or a rifle to shoot while I'm staying there is there?  I should have my UT CCW by then but if I don't, all is good right?  I can't wait to buy ammo at Walmart and feel like a real American, lol.

Btw, stupid question but as long as I'm traveling with my firearms safely to NC, nothing to worry about in regards to bringing a couple pistols or a rifle to shoot while I'm staying there is there?  I should have my UT CCW by then but if I don't, all is good right?  I can't wait to buy ammo at Walmart and feel like a real American, lol.

Ricky_Bobby:

I purchase my Winchester AA Supersport Sporting Clay shot gun shells in bulk at Walmart in NC since I have found that they cost the least there, compared to online retailers, let alone NJ stores.  Plus, at Walmart in NC, there is no hassle for the purchase other than showing I am of legal age and sometimes they don't even ask for that...

Since I travel from our home in NJ through five different states, (PA, WV, DE, MD, VA), which ones depending on the route,  on our way down to NC with firearms, I do take the necessary precautions.  Last year, for additional legal protection, I applied for and received my non-resident CCW permits from both Utah and Florida, and expect to receive a third one from NH, sometime before Labor Day this year.  That provides some additional peace of mind for when I am transporting handguns.  Also, in addition to these CCW cards, I always have my NJ FID card on me inside my wallet, just in case.

You can do a search here on NJGF  and will find a number of threads dedicated to transportation of firearms from NJ through other states and members have posted their experiences, advice and reference the current law.

As you are probably aware, there is a provision of the federal gun law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA), that addresses and protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.  Under FOPA, aside from any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it.  But FOPA stipulates that the firearm must be unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. FOPA states that any and all ammunition must also be in a locked container, other than the glove compartment or console and out of reach in the trunk or rear of a SUV.

I religiously do just that, using small steel cable TSA Travel Sentry approved combination locks for my gun cases, range bags and larger padlocks for my MTM ammo cans, making sure that all magazines are also unloaded.  Since we drive our SUV for these trips, I put all locked firearms and ammo containers in the far back cargo area and put a blanket or beach towel to cover them and then pull the horizontal vinyl shade across and fasten it, to further conceal all cargo from view.  The SUV's rear quarter windows and back window are heavily tinted so any visibility into the cargo area from outside is minimal.  By doing all of this means that essentially, I would have to get out of the vehicle and go around to the rear, open the hatch and release and retract the horizontal shade to then allow access to the stored locked firearms/ammo containers, thus not making them “readily accessible” from inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

Also, sometimes, we may stop during the road trip at a halfway point, to stay at a motel overnight and then continue the trip southward in the morning.  I pack a small overnight bag which is in the back seat that I take into the motel for the evening.  I just leave everything else, (guns/ammo), undisturbed in the back of the SUV, since I do not what to arouse any attention, curiosity or interest of other motel guests/workers by taking everything into and then out of our motel room.  Since I started doing this, thankfully I have not had any problems or issues.

FYI – Here is the link to the NRA ILA guide to the interstate transportation of firearms that highlights the requirements of each Sate:

http://www.nraila.or...sportation.aspx

I take all of these conservative and specific precautions to ensure that I am in compliance with not just the federal FOPA law, but the laws for each of the states we are traveling through, just to be safe.  Hope this helps….

AVB-AMG

Got lucky enough that we are both going to keep our current jobs and work remotely ... after a few months I'll start my job search out of Charlotte. I could've picked anywhere and this is a compromise between mine and my wife's preferences lol.

If you are searching in CLT you can live in SC.  It's a very short drive and many people that work downtown CLT do in fact live in SC.