Sign in to follow this  
Cereza

Cleaning—oil seepage?

I'm asking this on behalf of my husband, who recently purchased his first firearm.

He cleaned it following the manual along with a YouTube video. Both said to put a single drop of oil at 7 points. He used the bottle of Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil that came with his kit (this one: http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-kits/more/rifle-kit-with-aluminum-rod ) to do that. The first time, which was after he bought it home from the shop, he realized he used too-large drops and wasn't surprised when he saw some leakage. When he cleaned the firearm after his trip to the range, he focused on using smaller drops, but there was still leakage. 

Both times he noticed oil on the side of the frame that faced down in the case during storage, and on the ejection port. Handling it and working the slide a few times after the second cleaning, he also noticed some oil near the takedown lever (which is on the up side during storage).

Should he be cleaning/oiling less frequently, or should he be using a different oil (or at least a different application method for the oil)? Or is this normal?

What kind of gun?  

General rule for anything but Glocks is if it's a little wet, it's fine.  

Smith & Wesson M&P

Wipe it off, it's fine.  I use a lighter oil myself (Birchwood Casey Synthetic w/ PTFE)... It seeps out all the time when I lubricate.  I just wipe it off and shoot the guns.... It'll stop seeping eventually :D

I'll let him know, thank you!

And kudos to you for seeking advice to help address the issue rather than giving him a hard time about it - #keeper

Forum membership has it's privileges; I think it's cool that complete strangers are willing to help out.

I'll give hubby a hard time about laundry :girl_devil:, but a new hobby? Heck no. We're all new at some point and only learn via experience. As long as he observes safety measures—which he does—I'm here to cheer him on.  :tender:

M&P doesn't need much oil.

You could get away with using a Q-tip with some oil on it, dabbing the 7 points. Many folks also like to use tiny dabs of grease on the frame rails instead of oil (stays put better). Personally, I use a spot of T25 grease on frame rails and am very happy with it.

For now, just rack the slide a bunch of times (empty gun) and wipe-off the excess that seeps out.

^Thats what i do with my 1911... Q Tip to apply grease/oil as you see fit at any wear points. Rack the gun a bunch, see if you missed anywhere and apply again where it rubs the most and back in the safe it goes. I'm a nut about things though and clean my firearm every time i shoot. I despise rust.

Like someone else mentioned, the M&P can run as dry as the desert heat. But if you want to keep it lubed without oil seepage, use ball bearing grease. It stays on put, and lasts forever. I find that it also makes cleaning easy as all the carbon gets mixed in with the grease instead of sticking to the gun itself. A simple wipe takes off the grease and the carbon. Just be sure to use as little grease as possible. If you want to stick with oil, the seepage is normal.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By MichaelDiggs
      I like cleaning my AR. I can get just about place I need to. One area I'm having trouble with is one end of the bolt carrier. Not the end where you use the Otis cleaning tool, but the other side. If I look into there I see some build up carbon that I just can't get to. A wire brush won't fit and it is a tight fit. What I need is some kind of brush with the bristles on the end of the brush itself to stick down this carrier and just start twisting the brush to clean as much the carbon as it can. Is there anything like that out there at all? Preferably brass, don't want to scratch anything up. Not sure if that area was overlooked by the cleaning companies or what, but it does leave carbon build up on every range day. The picture in this post is the area I can clean with the Otis tool. It is the other side that I can't get into. Went to Lowes, Home Depot, trying to think outside the box to even make a tool.  Any ideas or is anyone as OCD as this?

• By shootstraightnj
      SAW is holding a gun cleaning event for Women at the Woodland Park Range on Nov 4th at 7pm.  This event is free but you must register by email [email protected]. Senior firearms instructor Rob Howe will be demonstrating how to clean various firearms.  Join us! Find out more about our events, range meet ups and social club.
    • By oldguysrule649
      Hoping to get some guidance.  (Did already search the forums.).   Have owned a 22LR rifle and pistol for many years.  After cleaning the firearms, the inside of the barrels always looked very clean and shiny/spotless.  Recently purchased a Mossberg 590(#50668); my first shotgun  The first time I shot it (25 rounds), I cleaned the barrel with Hopp's solvent, using bristle brush, patches, etc and finished with a light coat of oil.  As above, barrel ended up looking clean and smooth in the inside.  Went shooting last weekend and shot 82 rounds at the range(variety of 00Buck and slugs).  Tried to clean the gun today and seem to be having a lot more trouble getting the inside of the barrel to be spotless.  In various places, I am not sure if what I see is normal abrasion or I just have not been aggressive enough running solvent and bristle brush through it.

So my question is, what is to be expected?  Should bore always look smooth/shiny after cleaning?  I.e. should I have been even more aggressive(ie more solvent, more brushing, etc.) OR is it normal for what looks like abrasion to appear due to wear from the shot,slugs, etc?

Again, a newbie at shottys, so appreciate any guidance. 

• By JIG
      I was hoping someone could recommend a professional Gunsmith who can handle my Hi-Standard Model 103 Supermatic Citation

Back in the day my Grandfather really loved pistol shooting and bought this beauty right from the factory and took extensive care of it because I see very little wear and tear on the gun

My father inherited it and has passed it to me after I got my PID, but as it hasn't been used in 20+ years I'm a little iffy on using it

I'm kind of equating it to cleaning a car (bad example but still) it is a heck of a lot easier maintaining an already clean car after detailing then starting from ground up cleaning all the nooks and crannies

What I'm hoping for is a really good Gunsmith to disassemble, clean, oil, check/replace springs and replace the grips (too small for my hands); basically get the gun into pristine shooting condition so going forward I can maintain it

I'm willing to drive to the best so any suggestions?

Also just to let you know the picture does it no justice

• By Bagarocks
      Just looking to see how the reloading community cleans and maintains your dies. And what type of tips for cleaning and storage I could possibly pick up from the vast population of the NJ gun forum.
      I have both handgun and rifle dies.