Polak

I'm officially out of room in my safe :*(

I'm glad i purchased something larger. When it comes down to it, i'll probably just take all of the ammo and cleaning stuff out of the one side of my safe and put rifles there, too. I like having everything nicely organized on shelves, but can always get a small metal cabinet for just the ammo and random odds and ends. I started keeping a full 15/30 hexmag in one of my rifles instead of a 10rd magpul and that completely messed up my organization.. Didn't think about it, but ordered 2 tan and 2 OD green so that i can rotate mags without having to remember the numbers. Numbered all of my mags, too, with a paint sharpie.

I found instant room by just keeping my AR15 lowers in the safe and stashing the uppers someplace else. That way all my AR lowers took up a shelf rather then the complete rifle taking up primo real estate in the rifle rack. But, eventually had to buy more safes.

Same boat on the safe. I only have long guns in there too....

Lambo, what do you mean by "rotate mags"?

I keep two mags for my AR Loaded in my safe, same with my HG...

Instead of keeping the same two mags always loaded, i can rotate them by having FDE Mags loaded for Month A, Then for month B do the OD mags, etc.

I keep two mags for my AR Loaded in my safe, same with my HG...

Instead of keeping the same two mags always loaded, i can rotate them by having FDE Mags loaded for Month A, Then for month B do the OD mags, etc.

Ok. That's what I thought.

This is an unnecessary precaution that actually does the opposite of your intended goal.

Modern magazine springs are affected by cycling - the process of repeated compression and relaxation of the mag springs. Leaving a magazine loaded for a long period of time is actually better than routinely loading and unloading them.

You'd be better off having FDE loaded and od unloaded if you did that. At least you'd have a visual representation of what's loaded and not. Or just load them all up

Thats what i do.

Right now, the 2 FDE's are loaded, and the two OD's are unloaded and put away... In a few months, i'll reverse that.

HE, is there any real proof to that? My assumption was, similar to what happens with a vehicle (or spring mattress), when it is compressed (especially when fully loaded) for long periods of time without resting it will end up staying that way, or lose its springy-ness.

With snowmobiles (or any recreational vehicle), the general consensus is to keep em on jacks and off of the tracks/skis when not being used... Prevents sagging and unnecessary wear on suspension components.

Thats what i do.

Right now, the 2 FDE's are loaded, and the two OD's are unloaded and put away... In a few months, i'll reverse that.

HE, is there any real proof to that? My assumption was, similar to what happens with a vehicle (or spring mattress), when it is compressed (especially when fully loaded) for long periods of time without resting it will end up staying that way, or lose its springy-ness.

With snowmobiles (or any recreational vehicle), the general consensus is to keep em on jacks and off of the tracks/skis when not being used... Prevents sagging and unnecessary wear on suspension components.

For any spring, that's not true.  Springs like to return to their heat treated form.  By repeated cycling, they lose that ability.  It's not the compression or expansion, rather the cycling between the 2.

Thats what i do.

Absolutely.  The easiest visualization is if you were to straighten a paper clip then bend it back and forth.  It breaks as the metal is weakened as it's worked.  Magazine springs do not take a set.  I've shot loaded GI mags older than me without issue.

When I ran out of room I decided to go cheap and and got a Stack On cabinet for the cheaper guns like the Mosins and 22 plinkers. When I ran out again :) I decided not to buy anymore untill I leave this state and can get wtf I want and will be happy to get another real safe.

I found instant room by just keeping my AR15 lowers in the safe and stashing the uppers someplace else. That way all my AR lowers took up a shelf rather then the complete rifle taking up primo real estate in the rifle rack. But, eventually had to buy more safes.

This as been a lifesaver, along with using thread spools to hang the handguns.

post-3162-0-01549200-1469674036_thumb.jpeg

Thats what i do.

Yes. Science ;)

As long as you don't compress a spring past its elastic limit, there is nothing wrong with keeping a spring compressed. I have fired multiple magazines through an M3 "Grease Gun" that were loaded during Vietnam. They all ran fine.

I was always taught to lift a snowmobile/trailer/etc... off the ground to keep the skids, treads, and tires off the ground so they don't rot. It had nothing to do with the suspension or springs. We don't lift our cars up off the ground.

When I ran out of room I decided to go cheap and and got a Stack On cabinet for the cheaper guns like the Mosins and 22 plinkers. When I ran out again :) I decided not to buy anymore untill I leave this state and can get wtf I want and will be happy to get another real safe.

I decided not to buy any more but they just keep sprouting out of the ground.

I have this one now

be88ff53859a8797124aeb46c6e4a949.jpg

But the door organizer holds more pistols

295599e416ea863c34e0df3d46094431.jpg

A military m-16 rack

A cabinet for pellet guns

And

Small pistol safe in my bed room.

So I got some wiggle room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmao some of you people are nuts. I wish i had the space for all of that. I sleep next to my 35-gun safe.... LOL.... well, its at the foot of the bed, between the bed and the wall.

HE, i wasn't aware. I was always told keeping a spring compressed with a load is a no-go. Even with my truck. Ya learn something new every day, i guess.

...using thread spools to hang the handguns.

Oh that is slick, I'm totally stealing that.  Thanks for sharing.  I will not be placing any firearms so that the spools are inside the trigger guards though...

All you guys with the inside the safe pics - what are your home addresses again? 

• Like 2

Nice Wilson x-tac you got there[/quote
Oh that is slick, I'm totally stealing that.  Thanks for sharing.  I will not be placing any firearms so that the spools are inside the trigger guards though...

All you guys with the inside the safe pics - what are your home addresses again?

I stole the idea a while ago, works great. All guns in n the main safe are unloaded so no biggie about the trigger guard. If you place them horizontal you can easily get a way with one in the undercut of the trigger guard and one near the beaver tail. Had them like that until the door started getting crowded.