n4p226r

I have a lot of work to do

Its an excellent class. Learned a ton and still processing it in my training. I took it last month. Kyle has really thought things through on handgun shooting and handling and thats what he teaches. He has alot of real world experience that has evolved into his system. 

Here are some tests you can use to get you prepared. I copied them from his site. Get yourself a timer and some IPSC targets and have at it. If you cant run and gun at your local range then join a place like Easton in PA where you can. We did all three tests during our class. Test 1 was done as the very first live fire on day one. Kind of gave Kyle an idea of the skill level of the class. Get a quality modern day holster that you are comfortable with and practice your draws. Get good at shooting at 25 and 50 yards. We did that alot too since it amplifies fundamental problems on paper at that distance. That means have solid pistol fundamentals going in.

Pistol Shooting Tests

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test 1 (pistol, 15 rounds)

Target: IPSC w/ NRA B-8 repair center aligned w/ bottom edge of C zone (covers lower 1/2 of A zone). -Starting with hands on target, run to 25 y, draw and fire 6 rds at bullseye in 30 seconds. 50 pts to pass -6 yard line. Draw and fire 1 round into reduced A zone in 2 seconds.
-6 yard line. Draw and fire 6 rounds into reduced A zone in 4.5 seconds.
-6 yard line. Fire 2 rounds into upper A zone (head box) in 3.5 seconds.
All rounds must be in A zone to pass. All rounds must be fired under par times to pass.
Test is designed to be shot cold (after 7-10 days of no shooting).

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test  2 (pistol, 6 rounds)

Target IPSC

25y, 2 rounds in 4 seconds. (repeat 3 times).

Vickers scoring – A=5, C=3 (Ds don’t count)

Must score 25 points or higher to pass, total possible points 30 points.

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test 3 (pistol, 8 rounds)

Starting with hand on IPSC target, run to 50y line, draw and fire 2 rounds at body, Run (pistol high ready or other safe position) to 25y line, fire 2 rounds at body,
Run to 12 yard line, fire 2 rounds to head,

Run to 6 yard line, fire 2 rounds to head.
Scoring: Vickers scoring, 16 points (body) to pass. 4 shots in head, 2 must be in upper A zone. 1 minute par for entire test.

He posted at 2am. I literally woke up and called my uncle. Told the wife and said I'd buy two spots for his carbine course in PA. When I got to work only one spot was open so I quickly picked up two spots to the handgun course outside Pittsburgh. After I paid that was sold out too. I heard the CT class sold out in 5 minutes. 2:05 am

I was slightly bummed taking the pistol course over the carbine course even though I realize pistol training for a civilian is probably significantly more important. I'm just really bad with a pistol. And I haven't shot one in months since the baby came. At least I have a year to get to the point it isn't so bad. I just have to be good enough not to make any safety issues. I don't mind being the lowest scoring in class.

Its an excellent class. Learned a ton and still processing it in my training. I took it last month. Kyle has really thought things through on handgun shooting and handling and thats what he teaches. He has alot of real world experience that has evolved into his system.

Here are some tests you can use to get you prepared. I copied them from his site. Get yourself a timer and some IPSC targets and have at it. If you cant run and gun at your local range then join a place like Easton in PA where you can. We did all three tests during our class. Test 1 was done as the very first live fire on day one. Kind of gave Kyle an idea of the skill level of the class. Get a quality modern day holster that you are comfortable with and practice your draws. Get good at shooting at 25 and 50 yards. We did that alot too since it amplifies fundamental problems on paper at that distance. That means have solid pistol fundamentals going in.

Pistol Shooting Tests

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test 1 (pistol, 15 rounds)

Target: IPSC w/ NRA B-8 repair center aligned w/ bottom edge of C zone (covers lower 1/2 of A zone). -Starting with hands on target, run to 25 y, draw and fire 6 rds at bullseye in 30 seconds. 50 pts to pass -6 yard line. Draw and fire 1 round into reduced A zone in 2 seconds.

-6 yard line. Draw and fire 6 rounds into reduced A zone in 4.5 seconds.

-6 yard line. Fire 2 rounds into upper A zone (head box) in 3.5 seconds.

All rounds must be in A zone to pass. All rounds must be fired under par times to pass.

Test is designed to be shot cold (after 7-10 days of no shooting).

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test 2 (pistol, 6 rounds)

Target – IPSC

25y, 2 rounds in 4 seconds. (repeat 3 times).

Vickers scoring – A=5, C=3 (Ds don’t count)

Must score 25 points or higher to pass, total possible points 30 points.

Defoor Proformance Shooting Pistol Test 3 (pistol, 8 rounds)

Starting with hand on IPSC target, run to 50y line, draw and fire 2 rounds at body, Run (pistol high ready or other safe position) to 25y line, fire 2 rounds at body,

Run to 12 yard line, fire 2 rounds to head,

Run to 6 yard line, fire 2 rounds to head.

Scoring: Vickers scoring, 16 points (body) to pass. 4 shots in head, 2 must be in upper A zone. 1 minute par for entire test.

How did you do on the tests before and after?

He posted at 2am. I literally woke up and called my uncle. Told the wife and said I'd buy two spots for his carbine course in PA. When I got to work only one spot was open so I quickly picked up two spots to the handgun course outside Pittsburgh. After I paid that was sold out too. I heard the CT class sold out in 5 minutes. 2:05 am

I was slightly bummed taking the pistol course over the carbine course even though I realize pistol training for a civilian is probably significantly more important. I'm just really bad with a pistol. And I haven't shot one in months since the baby came. At least I have a year to get to the point it isn't so bad. I just have to be good enough not to make any safety issues. I don't mind being the lowest scoring in class.

More of a reason to take the pistol course. No sense in hiding from your deficiencies. ;)

How did you do on the tests before and after?

We didnt do a before and after. We only shot the tests once during the course. I passed all of them but I have alot of experience with a handgun and that type of shooting.

Here is an AAR on the course I took written by one of the other students in the class...

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/aar-defoor-proformance-kyle-defoor-two-day-pistol-bethlehem-pa-625-626-2016/