Lambo2936

Good mid-grade G19 Holster for CC in the free USA

Purchased a Glock 19 today from a member on here. Gun is beautiful and i'm ridiculously excited to shoot it.
That said, i now have to purchase a holster; It included a gun and mag holster, and though they ARE nice, i don't think they are quite optimal for CC.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holsters/outside-the-waistband-holsters/revolution-combo-pack-glock-19-23-32-black-right-hand-sku098000225-80643-167353.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shoppingpla-_-Revolution%20Combo%20Pack&gdffi=4c10f1ff40354714b834b0032f76348a&gdfms=D84C5207FAA645E19730B1E48A723E93

I believe that is the setup that was included.

I have a Serpa CQC for my 1911 from back when i would airsoft that i obviously now use for my real steel 1911. I like it, but my 1911 has a safety, so i dont worry quite as much about shooting myself; nor do i carry it.
Any suggestions for something mid-grade (Not looking to spend more than 60-70$, if that) that i can use for CC if/when i get Non resident permits? My sister lives in Philly so i would LIKE to get my NR, as well as for when i visit in general (and the next time i go to Michigan, id like to be able to carry).

I may be putting a light on the Glock; one of the TLR's or something. Not sure which yet.

Please help! I know nothing about holsters, unfortunately..
Thanks!

I always seem to go back to Blade-Tech stuff

I use....

OWB

Classic Eclipse

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_23_26#.V56z7LgrKHs

IWB

Nano

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_13_16#.V560T7grKHs

Or if you want the best of both worlds...

Either get the Classic Eclipse with IWB Conversion

Or Total Eclipse which comes with everything to convert back and forth from OWB to IWB

http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_154&products_id=148635#.V560lLgrKHs

I like the OWB units; i havent tried an IWB holster but i can imagine them to be somewhat uncomfortable.
The CQC would be a no-brainer, but i am short and the tip of the holster (at least, for my 1911) tends to stick out from my shirt when i am wearing it, due to where the belt goes through the holster. If the holster sat an inch or two higher it'd be perfect. The glock 19 is smaller and therefore it may not have that issue, but i dont want to gamble 40$ or so on that.

If you are going to carry concealed, IWB is the way to go.

This is the holster I wear the most:

http://www.desantisholster.com/SCORPION-II

I carry my G27 back and forth to work everyday in this, and often carry my G23 or G35 while off duty.

I also like the CompTac MTAC:

http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/mtac-holster-10225

If you want to carry it with a WML, look at JM Custom Kydex:

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/PLST.html

Think of the holster as part of a system. The other part being the belt.

Buy a good belt designed to carry a gun. I like the Ares Gear Ranger Belt:

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_116

These two components together will make carrying a pistol much more comfortable.

I know it is more than you intended on spending, but it is worth it. Consider it an investment.

I just looked and the classic eclipse holster is not available for Glock 19's; they have the 'total eclipse', though, which does look nice. Not sure im a fan of those friction retention holsters, though. I like that the Blackhawk has that little button (which conveniently also seems to cause ND's).

Wouldn't mind spending a bit more, and as nice as the IWB you linked is (The scorpion), i can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be. Any idea if there are places where you can try these things on before you buy them? :/

I know the Serpa is comfortable, i've worn em and ran all over the place with one on, but the OWB's seem to generally be more comfortable for obvious reasons. My fat a** would probably have to buy a bigger pair of pants or two for an IWB holster, as i'm not a fan of loose fitting pants.

I'm still debating if to get a weapon light. I'd love to have one, but then i'd need a holster that fits said weapon light, and, if equipped with a laser, i'd have an issue if i removed the thing every time i went to carry it.
HE, do you, as an LEO, carry a firearm with a weapon light on it or a separate flashlight? I have nice S&W Flashlights i normally carry on me anyways, so i suppose i could carry a flashlight separately, though i think i would like (for HD purposes) to have the light on the handgun, just so its less to grab in the middle of the night.

Itll be a while until i can carry in PA, though, so i suppose for now i should get a standard holster and can use my smith flashlights when i carry in the future.

Edit: Just saw the cost of that belt. Much more than i expected, haha.
Once i go through the process of getting Out of state Resident permits and if PA still accepts NH non-res once they start issuing permits to use, i'll probably drop the $$ on a nice belt like that. With the 450$ i just paid for the HG and a few other things i'd like to purchase, i wont be spending the 100$ on the belt anytime soon, though.

HE, what is wrong with something like this;
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB2-LIGHT.html

Yes, its not quite as 'hidden' as most IWB holsters, but i won't feel like i have a giant tumor on my right hip, either.

Edit Edit Edit:
I like this holster right here, which offers both IWB and OWB options; any objections for something like this? That way i can try IWB and if its not for me, i didn't throw the money away as its still a pirty OWB holster.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/486040/blade-tech-total-eclipse-inside-outside-the-waistband-holster-ambidextrous-glock-19-23-kydex-black

I work midnights and I am afraid of the dark. I carry 4 flashlights on me at work.

On and off duty I always have a well used FourSevens Quark in my front left pocket, even if my pistol has a weapon mounted light (Surefire X300U) in the holster.

You will end up like every other gun owner in the world and have a drawer full of holsters, mag pouches, belts, etc... that you don't use before you find the setups you like the best.

I like IWB because it is easier to conceal. I also find IWB more comfortable than OWB as it doesn't sag as much, and I don't worry about printing or flashing my gun as much as I go about my day. The belt helps a lot, and yes, you do need to size your pants and inch or so larger than usual.

Everything JM Custom makes is quality. Buy with confidence.

BladeTech makes quality gear as well. You won't go wrong with them either.

I have however, found that gear designed to do everything rarely does any one thing as well as quality gear designed to do that one thing alone. YMMV and all that.

Avoid the SERPA. Please. Do a search, there are a few thread here about them. Short version - I have seen the fail spectacularly on more than one occasion. They are also not a great concealment holster. They are awfully big and bulky.

I live in CO these days and carry a CZ P-01 (virtually identical in size and weight to the G19) and I carry IWB daily in a Stealthgear P-01.  Most comfortable holster I've ever owned, and I've had several of all different sizes. I also have a G19 and carried it in an Old Faithful hybrid holster (leather backing + kydex shell) and then a Milt Sparks, and almost exclusively carry the P-01 because of the Stealthgear holster that I've got.

And yes, a good belt is important. Doesn't need to be a dedicated gun belt though. I have two dedicated belts, but also I've had surprisingly good luck with the Patagonia Tech Web belt.  It's burly 1.5" with a very solid cast aluminum buckle and only $29.  http://www.patagonia.com/product/tech-web-belt/59193.html?dwvar_59193_color=BLK&cgid=mens-hats-accessories-belts#start=1

HE thanks for the insight.

Maybe i'll try to purchase a nice IWB off of Amazon or one of those places with a fantastic return policy in case i hate it.

I've heard about the Serpa stuff.. rocks getting in the mech, causing it to jam etc.. I've been in some nasty s**t with mine, and while the firearm was an airsoft gun, i can't say i've had issues before. That said, the last thing you want the one time you NEED it is for it to fail.
Are those IWB's comfortable enough to wear around the house and such, as well? I think i'll have to try a good one on before i believe any of you guys.. Having a big clunky piece of plastic tight against my hip doesnt sound fun, certainly not if wearing it for hours on end while doing stuff.
That blade tech is nice and has pretty good reviews, but i've come to the same consensus; something made to replace multiple designs generally does all of them decently rather than its primary intended purpose properly/perfectly... Jack of all trades, master of none. For something like that i can always buy an IWB and a SERPA or the likes for at home. or even just the blade tech revolution holster i already got with the firearm for around the house.

I like the DeSantis Speed Scabbard for OWB. It holds the gun tight to the body and can be concealed with a tshirt. You can get it with or without a thumb snap. I prefer without. It holds the gun securely and it's worked for me for about 30 years.

Any suggestions for something mid-grade (Not looking to spend more than 60-70$, if that) that i can use for CC if/when i get Non resident permits? My sister lives in Philly so i would LIKE to get my NR, as well as for when i visit in general (and the next time i go to Michigan, id like to be able to carry).

You better watch your ass in a city of the first class aka Philly when in PA - are the non res permits even honored there?  I know FL and UT aren't, and the NH thing just happened, to be honest I'd use the NH permit everywhere but Philly if I was in PA -

Glock Sport Holster. About $13.

^Came in to post this - or Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

I second the MTAC. I can completely conceal my Glock 35 using this holster and so long as I get it in the right position I can sit in the car comfortably for hours - not that drawing from a 4 o'clock IWB is going to work very well in a truck seat. It snugs in nice and tight so a loose shirt covers it easily and the shirt didn't get caught up on the gun to print very much.

One thing to look for with a kydex/leather IWB holster is that the kydex is firmly fixed to the leather to maintain the stand-off otherwise getting the gun in the holster can be difficult/dangerous. There are some holsters that have both the front and rear floating on tensioning screws that will allow the holster to collapse without the gun in it due to pressure from your belt.

With the grip texture of the gen 4 Glock it's necessary to wear an undershirt as it will rub the skin raw otherwise.

You better watch your ass in a city of the first class aka Philly when in PA - are the non res permits even honored there?  I know FL and UT aren't, and the NH thing just happened, to be honest I'd use the NH permit everywhere but Philly if I was in PA -

^Came in to post this - or Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

INAL, but i know that you CAN NOT open carry in Philly without a permit; you need a CC permit and then you can carry carry there. I googled it a few days ago and it stated that you CAN carry in philly if you get a permit; i dont know if a NR would be honored there, though. I'm hoping to get the NH non res, but im waiting to see what happens before i bother getting a UT and THEN a NH. We'll see what happens with that...

Regardless, i still spend a bit of time occasionally in PA, and visit Michigan about once every year or two.

The problem with most Kydex OWB holsters is they hold the gun away from the body. Not the best thing if you're trying to carry concealed.

I have a Raven Concealment Kydex holster for OWB that sits tight to the body and is comfy, but they are big. If I am wearing OWB, it's pretty much going to be in some flavor of Safariland ALS for duty type purposes where I have other gear on as well IDing me as LE. Otherwise it is IWB and cover garments.

Honestly I don't think you'll be able to return any holsters once used... especially IWBs.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com has a 2 week trial period, and some of the very best holsters out there.

I have a mini-tuck for my Shield and would never use anything else, easily the most comfortable and concealable holster I have ever owned - IMHO.

Second the Crossbreed.  I use a Super-Tuck (IWB) for my Spingfield XD 9mm SC.  It also works fine with my Glock 19.  I carry at 4:00 (never earlier than that, ha, ha), and the only time it's uncomfortable is when I'm in the car for a long time.  

HE, I actually just bought a surefire weapon light and ALS holster for said light and glock from a guy off of ar15 forum just for around the house, though i may end up reselling the holster, not sure yet.
I'll have to do some serious research for an IWB holster to carry.

The problem with most Kydex OWB holsters is they hold the gun away from the body. Not the best thing if you're trying to carry concealed.

Well, guess I'm going to find out. I went ahead and ordered a defender for my G19 w/tlr1. I really wanted something that keeps the light on the gun.

HE, I actually just bought a surefire weapon light and ALS holster for said light and glock from a guy off of ar15 forum just for around the house, though i may end up reselling the holster, not sure yet.

I'll have to do some serious research for an IWB holster to carry.

If you are selling the holster, let me know. I need a G19/G23 w/SF light size ALS holster.

• Like 1