Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Scratches in Black 1911's

In 1911's that are finished in a black tone, is it pretty much guarenteed you will see some scratches pop up earlier and easier than say a more modern sig or glock, just based on how the slide moves on each shot? I shot mine once and already notice some marks in the finish appearing. The finish on this gun was part of the reason i bought it. However, based on where the slide moves in that section i feel its more common than not.

post-8664-0-65826300-1470595049_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-25887100-1470595073_thumb.jpg

I have had many 1911s over the years with a variety of different finishes. I have never had the finish wear on the slide on any of them like you pointed out in your photos. I would contact the manufacturer immediately and send them the pictures. It should not wear like that if the finish was applied properly and the tolerances of the frame and slide are in spec.

Sroc12,

The marks shown in your picture are not normal wear for a 1911. I would break the gun down and check the frame for any corresponding marks. Ruger makes a great gun for the price but, they're known to be a little rough. Typically I would break down a new Ruger and smooth out the inside. It's not unusual to find burrs or sharp edges.

That said, although it's hard to see, the mark in the picture doesn't appear to be a solid scratch. Based on the interruptions I would guess that there was debris stuck between the frame and slide. It likely work its way out by now. Still, I would strip it and inspect. Did you clean the gun before shooting?

• Like 1