Davfur

Firearm gift probably simple answer

Don't know if this is the right forum, re-locate it if necessary.

I'm a NY resident, I wish to give my 15 year old NJ nephew a .22 mag-fed semi-auto rifle for Christmas, his parents have approved, I'm assuming the father has to assume responsibility for it.

What's the best way to do this?

Is it a straw purchase to gift it to someone (father or minor) whose not otherwise prohibited?

Can I private sale it over state lines from me to his father or should I bring his father with me to a PA gun show and have him purchase the rifle I select? What are the FOID issues, if any?

The father needs a FPID to legally get a rifle in NJ or anywhere else in the US for that matter. Easiest way to do so would be for the father to get his FPID if he doesn't have it already and give him the money to buy the firearm. The 15 year old can't own a firearm until he's 18.

No private sales over state lines. A long gun must be transferred at a FFL in any state if buyer and seller don't lI've in the same state.

There are no private sales across state lines. Must be done through FFL dealer. This is a federal law. Father must get a NJ FID.  Any legal transfer of firearm will now be in father's name and his possession.  

Thanks, all your answers confirm what I expected.

But correct me if I'm wrong- PA and NJ are contiguous states, can the father can purchase a long gun from an FFL in PA without an NJFID? Does he need a NJFID to own a long gun in NJ, or to purchase one in NJ?

But correct me if I'm wrong- PA and NJ are contiguous states, can the father can purchase a long gun from an FFL in PA without an NJFID? Does he need a NJFID to own a long gun in NJ, or to purchase one in NJ?

If he's a NJ resident, he needs a FID to purchase a long arm in ANY state.

The contiguous state transfer stuff is long gone. I believe the reforms to GCA68 did away with that in 1986. Even when it was in effect if you were a NJ resident you needed a NJ FPID to buy a long gun in NY, PA, or DE.

Some states had contiguous state in their state law for some time after 1986.

It still applies to those states that have it in their laws.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Correct, I was referring to the Federal law requiring contiguous states. I know some states changed their contiguous state law several years after the Federal law was changed.

Contiguous state law only exists for a couple states (like TX).  Does not apply to NY or NJ.  Regardless of the Contiguous state law, it does not matter where you are purchasing the long gun, as long as the buyer conforms by the purchasing state laws.  Same thing with the type of gun and it's features.  The gun must be legal in the purchaser's state.

There's no skirting around the NJ FID requirement.