RobCo

FN FAL ques?

Thanks, I already have an M1A Socom 16 and I am planning on getting a "full size" one at some point. i was just perusing the FAL and always thought they were nice

thanks again

I would not look at any other.

The DSA 58 is a very nice platform and done well, avoid the century builds like the plague.

Do not forget it is ONLY a name game with the SA58, it is an FAL.....although you do need to make it featureless.  No bayo no flash hider etc., it needs compliance work.

The only thing i would suggest is that the SA58 rear site leaves something to be desired at best....you can upgrade it to an HK drum type which is superior.

Further, the top rail cover is a PITA if you have any sort of problem that requires you to access the breach/chamber area.  What you can do is find a stripper clip cover - the brits used them as i recall and they can be found.  Now what this does for you is two things, allows access to the chamber area and also allows you to fill top off the mag with strippers in lieu of carrying loaded heavy mags etc.

If the upper is metric and opposed to inch pattern you will definitely need to mill the back end of the receiver to allow the stripper cover tabs to seat to the receiver so that it will close.  It is easy to do and anyone with basic skills with a mill can do it.

All that being said, I love the SA58 and have an affinity for the FAL - however, being this is NJ and what might me coming down the pike - if you are looking for a X51 battle rifle - remember the M1A is *specifically* named as being OK in jersey, just like the colt match target - if it were me, if you didn't need an 'FAL' specifically, I would go M1A

Just my .02

:)