Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

"target" .22lr from bulk ammo

I saw this video on selecting rimfire rounds for consistency: 

The guy claims that using a rim thickness gauge you can eliminate flyers and crappy rounds.

Has anyone tried this? Are there other techniques for selecting ammo for greater consistency? The video guy claims this could make a difference of a quarter-inch at 50 yards. Honestly that's too rich for me but the idea is intriguing. 

The guys I know who shoot .22 bullseye competition typically test a bunch of different rounds till they find what works best for their gun, then they buy as much of that ammo (from the same batch) as they can afford.

When it runs out, you start over.

I don't know if I would ever bother going through a box of bulk ammo a round at a time to check it.

Reminds me of the investment "breakthrough" I read about that gave "free silver." You have to go through 1000 half dollars and maybe you'll find 5-6 pre-1964 pieces. Takes an afternoon. OTOH lots of people reload to get the performance they want. Culling 22s is definitely faster than reloading 45s no?

Reminds me of the investment "breakthrough" I read about that gave "free silver." You have to go through 1000 half dollars and maybe you'll find 5-6 pre-1964 pieces. Takes an afternoon. OTOH lots of people reload to get the performance they want. Culling 22s is definitely faster than reloading 45s no?

No. As far as time it's probably a wash. (assuming one is using a progressive press).

No. As far as time it's probably a wash. (assuming one is using a progressive press).

Sizing rounds can't take more than about 4-5 seconds. No ongoing costs or initial investment, and you can do it on your kitchen table. If you like .22s (and I do), with a price differential of about 2-3x for target vs. bulk .22lr that seems like a reasonable time investment if that's what you're after. I'd consider doing it if people who know much more than me (i.e. you guys) said it was worth it. Problem is though, in my hands I don't notice much difference.

Sizing rounds can't take more than about 4-5 seconds. No ongoing costs or initial investment, and you can do it on your kitchen table. If you like .22s (and I do), with a price differential of about 2-3x for target vs. bulk .22lr that seems like a reasonable time investment if that's what you're after. I'd consider doing it if people who know much more than me (i.e. you guys) said it was worth it. Problem is though, in my hands I don't notice much difference.

4-5 seconds is pretty much what I was figuring to sort the .22 as well. I'd guess I can load a round of .45 every 2-3 seconds. As far as set up, add a minute every hundred rounds to dump some brass in the hopper and drop in a tray of primers.

I have found some bulk ammo that runs pretty well in my target pistols. For plinking and practice I don't mind if I get a "flyer" once in a while. For matches I just shoot CCI Standard and call it a day. I'm pretty sure that both the gun and the ammo are more accurate than me anyway.