Ricky_Bobby

PPQ Guys - What Upgrades have you done (if any)

Well my PPQ is one hell of a nice pistol and a sweet shooter - I definitely wouldn't mind getting one in the 45 someday as well.

I know theres a few PPQ guys here, have you done any upgrades?  Personally I don't think the gun needs much at all, the sights are very blah thought.

Whats the verdict?  Nice set of TFX's or Trijicon HD's and call it a day?  I can't think of anything else it really needs, shoots great out of the box, phenomenal trigger, awesome grip that fits me perfect.  I picked up a couple extra mags and a deluxe case from Earl's Repair Service (great parts stocking dealer) but besides sights I don't think I'll change anything else on this pistol.

I put a set of Dawson fiber optic sights on my 5" PPQ M2.  I also picked up one of the trigger springs that PK90 had and it dropped my standard trigger pull from 4# 3 ounce to 3# 7 ounce.  Not bad for just changing a spring.

The only change I made to my 5" PPQ is adding a Hi Viz green fiber optic. I find it makes me shoot a little high compared to the standard front sight. I think I am going to investigate replacing it with a Dawson sight. I am very curious about the spring Howard and Paul have. If you don't mind sharing, where did you gentlemen find it?

The only change I made to my 5" PPQ is adding a Hi Viz green fiber optic. I find it makes me shoot a little high compared to the standard front sight. I think I am going to investigate replacing it with a Dawson sight. I am very curious about the spring Howard and Paul have. If you don't mind sharing, where did you gentlemen find it?

I got the spring from Paul, they come in a three pack and he sold me one of the extras - they are very cheap anyway - you can get three delivered for about $16.  He got them from the hardware supply place McMaster Carr, ask him for the details.

As for sights, Dawson is the way to go.  If you order both the front and rear as a set they promise your POA and POI will match.  IF they don't they will send you different front posts for free until you get them to match.  If you order just the front I think they charge $10 to replace it with a different height as needed.

I will definitely look into the Dawson sights later on today, they have a great accuracy warranty for sure - someone also mentioned 10-8 Performance sights, their website is blocked at work for me though but I will check later (some "weapons" sites are blocked and some aren't - for example I can go to Walther Arms website, but not Glock Talk, Glock website, but not S&W, its pretty stupid)

That was the only thing I was worried about was the POI/POA since its such an accurate shooter out of the box - I wouldn't want to lose that, and reading reviews on the Meprolight sights, and the Trijicon Bright and Tough, I'm finding some were having trouble getting back to zero.  TFX's I haven't read that which is why I asked about them. 

I don't have a sight pusher but I wouldn't mind paying a gunsmith to press in a new rear sight for me.  or if anyone on the boards has a pusher that would work for the PPQ that I could borrow

I don't have a sight pusher but I wouldn't mind paying a gunsmith to press in a new rear sight for me.  or if anyone on the boards has a pusher that would work for the PPQ that I could borrow

You don't need a sight pusher for Dawson sights.  They come with aluminum punches with plastic heads so you just use a hammer and their tool and it is fairly easy to do.  Dawson has videos on their sight that show exactly how to do it.  There is one thing to note when doing this on a PPQ, if you have the adjustable rear there is a little pin in the sight that goes into the frame that you need to lift before pushing the sight out of the way.

^^That is great to know!  Obviously install cost comes into play - I do have the little plunger on my slide for the click-adjustable rear sight, I will watch the videos on the Dawson website and decide whether I want a FO set or a Tritium set - thanks for letting me know!

Side note - I'll definitely also be getting a Dawson set (Fiber Optic) for my Taurus 1911 - I hate the sights on that gun and have been looking for a while for something better!

I got the spring from Paul, they come in a three pack and he sold me one of the extras - they are very cheap anyway - you can get three delivered for about $16.  He got them from the hardware supply place McMaster Carr, ask him for the details.

As for sights, Dawson is the way to go.  If you order both the front and rear as a set they promise your POA and POI will match.  IF they don't they will send you different front posts for free until you get them to match.  If you order just the front I think they charge $10 to replace it with a different height as needed.

Great info. Thank you Sir.

I will definitely look into the Dawson sights later on today, they have a great accuracy warranty for sure - someone also mentioned 10-8 Performance sights, their website is blocked at work for me though but I will check later (some "weapons" sites are blocked and some aren't - for example I can go to Walther Arms website, but not Glock Talk, Glock website, but not S&W, its pretty stupid)

That was the only thing I was worried about was the POI/POA since its such an accurate shooter out of the box - I wouldn't want to lose that, and reading reviews on the Meprolight sights, and the Trijicon Bright and Tough, I'm finding some were having trouble getting back to zero.  TFX's I haven't read that which is why I asked about them. 

If the stock sights are POA/POI, ordering the same height sights shouldn't change it.

Hey sig guy. What do you shoot. Isnt it a m&p.

Yes sir. Although I've handled the ppq m2 before and found it had a great stock trigger. Ergonomics are excellent as well. Not quite as good as the M&P but still superior to other striker fired pistols. Just my opinion of course.

Yes sir. Although I've handled the ppq m2 before and found it had a great stock trigger. Ergonomics are excellent as well. Not quite as good as the M&P but still superior to other striker fired pistols. Just my opinion of course.

What isn't as good as the M&P?   The ergos?  

What isn't as good as the M&P?   The ergos?

This is just my opinion but I feel the M&P has the best ergonomics on any pistol I've held, including the ppq. I also like the lower bore axis of it as well. Having said that, the ppq has a much superior trigger and a tighter barrel lockup than the M&P. My M&P 9 Pro's dwell time was almost non existent, causing the barrel to move around in any given direction before the bullet left it.

Changing the sights on a PPQ does not require a sight pusher. The front sight comes out with a small screw from the inside of the slide. It is super easy to replace. Tons of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

This is just my opinion but I feel the M&P has the best ergonomics on any pistol I've held, including the ppq. I also like the lower bore axis of it as well. Having said that, the ppq has a much superior trigger and a tighter barrel lockup than the M&P. My M&P 9 Pro's dwell time was almost non existent, causing the barrel to move around in any given direction before the bullet left it.

And thats why they make different guns..  lol..   i personally find the ergos of the M&P horrible (for me).  The feel of the PPQ (and my VP9) are considerably more comfortable in my hand.  But everyone likes different things.  :good:

• Like 1

I was once a Glock diehard, but then I saw the light when S&W made the M&P.

Then the heavens opened up and a PPQ was born. Hallelujah. My life is fulfilled now. Praise be to Walther.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 4

^^LOL

Is it weird that I still am in love with my Glock and my PPQ at the same time?  The M&P doesn't do it for me (feel in the hand) at all - the VP9 I also thought was an amazing pistol but was a bit rich for my blood and I just fell in love with the PPQ trigger.

Do you have a 40 or a 45 pistol now or would this be your first?

I have no 40 caliber and a 1911 so getting a PPQ in 45 is a must for me in the future. I love my 9mm but heard the 45 is amazing and shoots so well!

Most of my guns are 45, and I have 2 38 supers.

I was thinking about getting a 40, but after watching how well the 45 shoots, I'm very interested in it...I may do both the 9mm and 45 also. No sence getting a 40 and 45, I don't think.

Most of my guns are 45, and I have 2 38 supers.

I was thinking about getting a 40, but after watching how well the 45 shoots, I'm very interested in it...I may do both the 9mm and 45 also. No sence getting a 40 and 45, I don't think.

Thats how I see it - I don't have 40 now but have 45 and 9, I'd rather not spread ammo purchases over 3 handgun calibers.  45 is a beast in the PPQ if you've watched some Youtube videos but still quite manageable - Hickok45's video makes it look pretty tame

The only thing I have done is put some talon grips on it. The bare grips were a bit slick for my liking

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This. I initially found it to be flippy. It sat in my safe and came close to selling it. I put on Talon grips and it completely changed to become a favorite. I only have it on the right side of the grip, otherwise it scrapes your skin raw when carrying IWB at 4-5 o'clock.

This. I initially found it to be flippy. It sat in my safe and came close to selling it. I put on Talon grips and it completely changed to become a favorite. I only have it on the right side of the grip, otherwise it scrapes your skin raw when carrying IWB at 4-5 o'clock.

Do you have any picture of what the Talon Grips look like?  How much are they and where do you get them?

I currently put some white Tennis Racquet tape on mine which seems to work fairly well, but gets dirty fast.