Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

1911 Dust Cover Rubbing/Scuffing

I have a previous thread started that asks about some early scuff marks on my new SR1911. I have been finding ALOT of mixed opinions on if this is normal or not, and I think the better way to really describe the issue is dust cover rubbing. If you do a google search of just that you will see photos of what I am referring to. I understand the logic of why this essentially happens, but do many people on here with 1911's find that this does in fact occur on a lot of models? Obviously I would exclude a Wilson Combat and others in that price range from having this occur as "normal".

I'd you have a problem with the wear why not just contact the manufacturer and find out from the source as to weather the wear is normal or not. Personally I would not be able to tell if my 1911 has this sort of wear due to all the other scratches on it. I have 2 types of guns. 1- guns I shoot and don't care of they get scratched

2- guns I don't shoot or hardly ever shoot because I don't want to have any other marks on the guns so they just sit on display and might get shot once every year or two if at all.

My Colt has quite a few rounds through it, and FWIW there is no wear on the slide near the dust cover, excluding one blemish it had coming out of the custom shop (which I like. There are many like it, but this one is mine, lol).

I was going to buy a Remington 1911 R1, but I had read about issues with flashing leaving burrs inside the dust cover. Fortunately, after a lot of nagging, the guy let me disassemble it in store, and there is was. A big glob of metal that contacted the slide. Now I could have just bought it and smoothed it out, but I hate to buy something new and then have to work on it to make it acceptable.

Open it up and find the flashing, it should be there if you are getting wear like that. Then get some sand paper and go to town on it. make sure you cold blue it, and you're good.

IHMO, if a brand new gun has any abnormal wear (particularly a 1911), something is out of spec.  Dust cover rubbing usually means either you have a burr that can be hand filed away in a few seconds, the slide was milled out of spec (not very likely), or you have out of spec rails and the slide is going at an angle causing the rub marks.

In any case, send it back to Ruger and have them repair it (unless you can find the burr and file/sand it down yourself).

Or... just shoot the crap out of it and be done with it.  Stainless guns are really easy to clean up later down the road.

I have a previous thread started that asks about some early scuff marks on my new SR1911. I have been finding ALOT of mixed opinions on if this is normal or not, and I think the better way to really describe the issue is dust cover rubbing. If you do a google search of just that you will see photos of what I am referring to. I understand the logic of why this essentially happens, but do many people on here with 1911's find that this does in fact occur on a lot of models? Obviously I would exclude a Wilson Combat and others in that price range from having this occur as "normal".

Have you broken the gun down and inspected it yet?

I was thinking about shooting tomorrow morning in Carteret, if you want to take a ride we can break it down and take a look at what's going on. It should be relatively easy to determine the issue.

I did break it down, and no debris in there. You can see scuffs on the inside of the frame where it is rubbing against the dust cover.

If there was debris I wouldn't expect it to be there now. It would have worked it's way out.

The "dust cover" is part of the frame. So, on the inside of the frame (or dust cover) there is a mark that corresponds to the scratch on the slide? Is it a single spot on the frame or a long scratch? Do have have any pictures?