fishnut

RDS for the colorblind

So I'm colorblind and have big problems with red. I can not see the red dot at all in daytime conditions, not.just full sun, even in the shade or full cloud cover. The oly time I can see the red dot is in very low light conditions. I have used some cheaper RDS sights on my .22 AR and that has a red and a green dot and I can see the green one perfectly. My question to you guys is are there any high quality RDS type sights that have a green dot instead of red?

I should have mentioned that this would be for my HD/SHTF AR

Edited by fishnut

ACOG makes some nice 1.5x optics with your choice of red, yellow, or green reticles.

You are going to pay for them, but they are high quality.

If I couldn't use red any longer, that's what I would pick. The 1.5 isn't terribley inconvenient. A lot of the variable optics that claim "true 1x" are actually between 1.2 and 1.5 mag. They don't seem to bother most shooters, especially shooting with both eyes open.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=acog&mid=1.5%20x%2016S

I second what krdshrk said, i have one on my Smith MP15-22 and its quite nice. Not as crisp as their prism dot that i purchased (due to my astigmatism, id imagine) recently and is just sitting in the safe, though, which ALSO has a red/green reticle option.
Either of the two would be perfect for you. They are great for the $$ (170-200$). If you want to spend more, trijicon makes some nice ones, but you're talking about multiple times the cost, already.

.....or you can try a cheap way out. Remember those Blue Blocker Sun Glasses? They still sell them cheap even on Amazon I believe.

By pure happenstance, we stumbled onto something nobody was aware of. They correct some color blindness. People who only seen browns and tans instead of red and greens seen the true color for the first times in their lives. Find a pair of those to experiment with you may end up finding a way to use them with your shooting glasses as well as everyday use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bhunted- ill have to try out the blue blockers for everyday use but this is for my HD/SHTF gun so I don't want to have to rely on glasses also. but still really good to know. I wish I would have known when I was painting cars LOL. 

Krdshrk- good enough quality fir a HD gun? ill check pats out. Thanks

HE- That's pretty much what I was afraid of, well my wallet is afraid. LOL Id have to find someone who has one and try it out before I spend that much. but this is my HD/SHTF gun so I don't want to cheap out anywhere.

ataimwolswol- next time you stop by bring it with you so I can check it out.

Alec.mc- ive tried a few aimpoints and an eotech. No go on either of them. do you think a cmore would be better?

• Like 1

Bhunted- ill have to try out the blue blockers for everyday use but this is for my HD/SHTF gun so I don't want to have to rely on glasses also. but still really good to know. I wish I would have known when I was painting cars LOL.

Krdshrk- good enough quality fir a HD gun? ill check pats out. Thanks

HE- That's pretty much what I was afraid of, well my wallet is afraid. LOL Id have to find someone who has one and try it out before I spend that much. but this is my HD/SHTF gun so I don't want to cheap out anywhere.

ataimwolswol- next time you stop by bring it with you so I can check it out.

Alec.mc- ive tried a few aimpoints and an eotech. No go on either of them. do you think a cmore would be better?

Well, as far as I know aim points and eotech. Have very small reticle, 1 moa and 2 moa. The nice thing about cmore a are the wide range of available dot sizes . I use a 6 moa and 8 moa , which are easy to pickup

For bigger MOA you can also look at the Trijicon RMR (up to a 12 MOA triangle). They work well on carbines and are 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of the ACOGS. They also come in Red, green, or Yellow in the dual illuminated version. Red only in the LED version (which may work fine with the larger for) That being said - The Dual Illum version is not my first choice for a social gun, they tend to wash out when you are in low light and are looking towards a lot area, i.e. Using a weapon light in a structure.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=rmr&mid=Dual-Illuminated

I don't trust CMore on social guns. Guy on the team runs one on his MP5 for work. He's had to replace it 2 times in 5 years and it goes through batteries like it has stock in Energizer.