Barms

Storm

Thank you. Can anyone confirm that I need a permit ? After spending a few hours on youtube it doesn't look very difficult, other than the fact that my panel is in the basement so I have to go up with the wires to get them outside for the outlet. Also most videos show people putting a tee on the gas line from the inside of an unfinished basement and then taking it outside, but my basement is finished and I was hoping to put a tee outside. Is there any reason not to do this ?

You need a permit- electric & plumbing. Which of course means inspections. Tee outside? Do you mean off the main from the street? And its a inlet, not outlet.

There is more than just tapping your gas line. You have to get your gas company down there to make sure it can handle the flow. Most older systems will have to have the gas meter, regulator, etc., replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's shifted/slowed down.  Not supposed to be up this way until about Tuesday.

Not sure what kind of ganja you've been smoking but the rain impact from this storm will cover ALL of NJ probably by midnight Sat.   The storm won't be here for a while but it has a large precipitation field and the outer bands will start to impact south Jersey in the late afternoon on Saturday.  By Sunday, everyone is fully involved, although North West Jersey may only see brief spurts of moisture.  NE Jersey should be under a pretty regular rainfall all Sunday and Monday with some gusts up to 30mph or so.   The biggest impacts are going to be storm surge in all the barrier islands and South East Jersey, like OC, AC, Wildwood, etc could see some decent rainfall.

I don't think anyone is going to get any big winds but this thing may intensify to a Hurricane and do the ole sit and spin off the coast. 

Of course, this is all subject to change...I've just been reading the weather forums and so far these are the latest thoughts.

You need a permit- electric & plumbing. Which of course means inspections. Tee outside? Do you mean off the main from the street? And its a inlet, not outlet.

I want to put in a tee just after the meter where there is an elbow. I want to change the elbow to a tee, add some pipe, a shutoff, a tee with a drip catch (or whatever it's called) and then a quick connect fitting. I feel confident that I can do this without too much trouble. Of course afterwards I'll paint the piping with the proper paint and do a soap test and meter position test. Any other tips ? Does anyone know for a fact that I need a permit when doing it myself ?

There is more than just tapping your gas line. You have to get your gas company down there to make sure it can handle the flow. Most older systems will have to have the gas meter, regulator, etc., replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The meter and regulator have enough BTU to add the generator. I think I'll also run a gas line from inside the basement to the deck so that next year I can convert the grill to NG. Perhaps I'll start a thread and post pictures when I'm done.

Sorry about the thread derailment. Any tips ?

Oops I shifted too far I guess.  I mean Monday...  Sunday looks like we'll get some rain in the afternoon...

213512W5_NL_sm.gif

That's the track.  The precip shield on this thing is at least 450 miles in diameter.   When it's sitting off of Virginia Beach, south Jersey will start getting rain.

I want to put in a tee just after the meter where there is an elbow. I want to change the elbow to a tee, add some pipe, a shutoff, a tee with a drip catch (or whatever it's called) and then a quick connect fitting. I feel confident that I can do this without too much trouble. Of course afterwards I'll paint the piping with the proper paint and do a soap test and meter position test. Any other tips ? Does anyone know for a fact that I need a permit when doing it myself ?

The meter and regulator have enough BTU to add the generator. I think I'll also run a gas line from inside the basement to the deck so that next year I can convert the grill to NG. Perhaps I'll start a thread and post pictures when I'm done.

Sorry about the thread derailment. Any tips ?

You need a permit. If you're going to do it right that is....if you do this project w/o and something goes bad because of it you will be screwed with the town and your ins co.wont be obligated to bail you out. You should go to the town to get the regs. When I did mine several yrs ago the town was baffled, apparently no one in the area (legally) ever wanted to hook up a portable genny. Nearby towns had no comparables either so basically all they did was add a waiver for me to sign saying I would not operate it within 10' of a building/combustubles. If your going to run a line thru the basement for a grill why not for the genny? better off with it out back anyway. No need for the soap test, the inspecter will want to see a pressure gauge at the ng termination that has been holding steady at 15ibs IIRC. Look into proper pipe sizing its decided on by the length of the run. I also used a long brass nipple where the pipe pops out the wall so i never have to worry about corrosion and the QC  is in a sealed box but thats just me. And then theres the electric....

I'm getting this sinking screwing feeling. I'm usually wrong so maybe that is good.

Need to make an expedition very early for fresh veggies and top off gas cans.

Before it rains AIDS all over everyone that shops at DSG right? LOL

I wasn't gonna get gas until probably Monday morning, but I'll head to the gas station tomorrow.  Maybe get some Chef Boyardee. LMOA

So all those shore locations where they spent millions of dollars building dunes, barriers, jetties etc. are going to be just fine.

Right?

This won't be a Sandy sized surge, so yeah, for the most part.  They should be pushing sand right now, but they aren't because they want the beaches open.  That's pretty foolish, but what are you gonna do?

It's gonna rain for a day or so. S. Jersey will get a lot of rain. NW very little. Most of PA probably very little. If your house floods I feel bad for you. Otherwise yikes bread eggs gasoline milk...You're not going to starve or become homeless. This is not Hurricane Sandy it's a bad storm. Yikes.

For us, if it comes our way, around Memorial Day weekend.

Nope. Not really good forecasting. Just me always getting Labor Day and Memorial Day mixed up.

Invest 99L? I will wait for the data from the recon flights before worrying about it.

T Bill, are you worrying now?

Here's an analysis about Hermine from the guy that predicted Sandy a week before it hit us and when no one else was talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRA3TChqwb4

He's the Ryan Howard of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillies first baseman. Strikes out a lot, but when he hits it's a home run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh. I haven't seen JC strike out a lot. He did either last winter or the winter before, along with everyone else who thought we were going to get slammed with a bunch of snow. But besides that, this guy's been pretty spot on and far more accurate than the weather on the news.

Actually, no.  All guidance suggests impact to me will be less than a half inch of rain and less than 30 mph wind gusts.  Prepared anyway.  Always are.

If you're not near the coast, there's little to worry about. But for the folks on the coast, flooding is a serious concern.

Actually, no. All guidance suggests impact to me will be less than a half inch of rain and less than 30 mph wind gusts. Prepared anyway. Always are.

Well, there's prepared and then there's prepared. I got lots of food and water stashed, but I like to buy fresh veggies every few days. They don't last long. So, when I see this stuff coming, I run out and get that and other common luxuries that could use topping off. Might as well go through the appocalypse in style :) I got some steaks for Monday, too. Power, no power, no give a shit, we are having steaks, potatoes, and veggies. Then hot wings :)

And everybody remember to check your TP supply :)