Barms

Storm

Ole Matt is going to blow through the Bahamas, come up the SE coast and shoot out to sea right about North Carolina.   We're going to have a cloudy weekend.   Everyone, be ready to get out the wind breakers!  There's going to be a mild cool coming!  Watch out.

Or not, then we could get some rain.  I'm voting OTS about NC.

I'm heading to the eye of the storm, trusty windbreaker flapping in the breeze, Utah carry permit triple laminated against the torrent, seventeen days worth of MREs and dehydrated water tablets strapped to my loins, and armed like Rambo storming a commie concentration camp. They don't call me the Outlaw of the Outer Banks for being a New Jersey-bred gun-shy survival-challenged pussy.

Not going to help my tuna trip on Monday!

There probably won't be anywhere on the Atlantic coast that won't have ridiculous choppy waves on Monday.  If it tracks a bit more north, it won't be safe to be out there anyway even if it loses all its energy.

I'm heading to the eye of the storm, trusty windbreaker flapping in the breeze, Utah carry permit triple laminated against the torrent, seventeen days worth of MREs and dehydrated water tablets strapped to my loins, and armed like Rambo storming a commie concentration camp. They don't call me the Outlaw of the Outer Banks for being a New Jersey-bred gun-shy survival-challenged pussy.

Shouldn't be crowded at all. ;)

I am also driving down to the Outer Banks of NC this Friday. The current forecast for coastal NC is heavy wind and rain on Saturday during the day and all night, possibly into Sunday morning. Depending on the track of Hurricane Matthew, we could have a really bad time with steady high winds and torrential rain.

I was also down in the OBX for an extended Labor Day Weekend at our beach house when the tropical storm blew through and we had 12+ hours of rain totaling over 12 inches and constant winds of between 40-75 mph. I could feel the house shaking at night which was quite unnerving. From that storm we lost over 60-70 asphalt roof shingles and some deck furniture were blown thru the deck railing, taking the entire side of railing with it. Thankfully, no significant beach dune erosion occurred. The repair work for all of that damage was just completed early last week, just in time to greet H. Matthew. Weather and weather-related damage is really is a roll of the dice on the OBX!

So Newtonian, where on the OBX will you be headed to...?

AVB-AMG

My friend's oceanfront in Duck, NC sustained 38K in damages from that TS last month, not to mention the rentals that he had to cancel.  Told me last night they suspended repair work on that claim and have to hurry up an document the work completed in case of more damage from H Matthew,  Luckily the beach faces NE so not a lot of erosion takes place but losses has put him in the hole for this year.

Looks like FLA might get hammered.  At least that is what the news reporting sensationalists are spewing now!

There are mandatory evacuation orders for Brevard County (Cape Canaveral, Port Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, etc.). Also, the JAX area beach islands.  Otherwise, evacs are "voluntary" at this point. Hurricane warnings are up through Brevard and slightly north. Hurricane Watch is in effect for points north of that, through Beaufort , SC. The Marine Corps may have to evac Parris Island to a different camp in Albany Ga.  They moved up a graduation ceremony from this Fri to Today.

On my side of FL (Gulf) we are now under a "Tropical Storm" watch, only.... for now.   Technically, we're "outside the cone"  but just barely.   Hopefully, it doesn't track any further west.

I have friends and family in Palm Beach County.  Just talked to BIL, all will shelter in place for now,  Zone A which is the beachfront and the few blocks inland have mandatory evac orders and must be out by 10AM today (Thursday). Expecting 80MPH winds and 7-10 inches of rain, with a moderate risk of flooding,  Ouch!

My in-laws have a beachfront condo in Vero which looks like the center dot on a target now......I just spent most of Sept moving them into a 2nd home near Tampa and they jumped back over there with some other condo friends in tow. Had no choice as the condo got shut down. Glad i got back just in time. Also have wifes family in Melbourne& Cape Canaveral, hoping for the best.

My in-laws have a beachfront condo in Vero which looks like the center dot on a target now......I just spent most of Sept moving them into a 2nd home near Tampa and they jumped back over there with some other condo friends in tow. Had no choice as the condo got shut down. Glad i got back just in time. Also have wifes family in Melbourne& Cape Canaveral, hoping for the best.

Hoping for the best as well, for everyone down there.  Keep us posted.

Update:  We're now under a "Tropical Storm Warning" on the gulf side (just slightly north of Tampa).   We're watching out for hefty winds and some flying debris.  No orders to evac my area yet.  But definitely some for the East Coast.  My aunt in GA has been evac'ed inland, by my cousin who was, in turn, evac'ed from Volusia county.

Update:  We're now under a "Tropical Storm Warning" on the gulf side (just slightly north of Tampa).   We're watching out for hefty winds and some flying debris.  No orders to evac my area yet.  But definitely some for the East Coast.  My aunt in GA has been evac'ed inland, by my cousin who was, in turn, evac'ed from Volusia county.

sounds about where my in-laws 2nd home and SIL are, New Port Richey. Was also thinking about my in-laws place at Vero. They also call it the Gold Coast because of all the gold found from a Spanish fleet wrecked by a hurricane 3/4 hundred yrs ago, the treasure hunters will be like a swarm of bees on those beaches! Maybe I'll take my metal detector for a trip......

sounds about where my in-laws 2nd home and SIL are, New Port Richey. Was also thinking about my in-laws place at Vero. They also call it the Gold Coast because of all the gold found from a Spanish fleet wrecked by a hurricane 3/4 hundred yrs ago, the treasure hunters will be like a swarm of bees on those beaches! Maybe I'll take my metal detector for a trip......

I'm very close to New Port Richey.  Same County, but they're right on the gulf, and I'm about 30 miles inland.

Right now, a lot of heavy rain but, hopefully, no wind.

Cessna Exodus

S9vdhAd.jpg

I just saw that on one of the pilot boards.    That's the fleet of Embry-Riddle aviation university; they were evacuating their training aircraft to Auburn.

I'd imagine there were lots of similar, but much less orderly, tracks from light aircraft all over Florida heading north and inland.

Morning reports from Palm Beach has everyone OK, little to no damage, the lights are on!  SIL came off 24 hour shift at hospital with nothing more than the usual requests.  Sounds like PBC dodged a bullet.

Morning reports from Palm Beach has everyone OK, little to no damage, the lights are on!  SIL came off 24 hour shift at hospital with nothing more than the usual requests.  Sounds like PBC dodged a bullet.

Canaveral had a roof blow off, and I've heard there is one death so far.   That said, this storm stayed off the coast and is frankly a bit of a dud.   It's not hit GA or SC yet and it can still be catastrophic, but it looks like most of Florida won't get creamed.

The track of this storm is so strange. I know storms wander but Has there ever been one that does a full 1000-mile loop like this one is projected to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's now not going to loop.   That said, yes, other storms have done this.