SuRrEaLNJ

I want a new AK, but havent decided on what

I want another ak, traditional wood configuration. Id take a saiga to convert another, but i think that ship has sailed. prefer stamped, debating the merits of everyting right now more or less. didnt think adding another to the colection was gonna get past the wife, but it did, so im underprepared for the oportunity. so to help me pass the time while i narrow it down lets get some discussion going. what do i want?

I've been looking at this one this morning...They had a Polish kit build with wood furniture available but I waited too long and they've sold out.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/russian-vepr-7-62x39-with-red-russina-stock-set-detail.html?Itemid=0

Not sure if I should go with this one or get an unconverted one and do the work myself.

Well, i droped the hammer on a wasr today, have a deposit on it and will go back with the balance this afternoon

Fun gun, love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many better options than a WASR right now, especially for the money. A Vepr is right around WASR price ranges and is one of the best AK's you can buy. Conversion is easy and cheap. A Draco or m92 are still cheap and a conversion wouldn't be too much. Not sure you're price range but there are plenty of options.

Atlantic's converted vepr is so outrageously priced IMO. $700 rifle, lhg retainer and slant cut stock adapterand a bullet guide is roughly $100. That leaves $500 for that wood furniture. You could do the conversion work yourself and with that $500 refinish a wood stock set yourself and spend $500 on two cases of ammo or a case and a half and 10 mags.

Either way, you did good with a WASR. Most importantly it's an import. Buy em up while you can. I just think there are better options out there that's all. Enjoy and have fun with it!

• Like 1

well the wasr does have a bit of a story now, i went with my 6mo son to rtsp since i was in the area and havent gotten to shoot much, chewed the shit and looked at a few aks there, 2 ras47s and a c39, and my son who was siting on the counter was entertaining himself with his stuffed moose. we leave there and i hit otomanellis on the way home, they had one wasr on the wall, i sit him on the counter and im lookin at it and he starts smiling, so i say hey buddy, you think we should take this home and he got all excited, so aparently the wee lad wanted a wasr. 

ideally i wanted to do another saiga, and that ship has sailed, and i know the vepr quality is better, but it was there and the wife okd it, so i jumped. and i get to say my boy picked it out

Lookin good! Looks to be a post 2014 production WASR. That's good as quality control has seemed to be much better with them.

I absolutely love OD green furniture on that what looks to be Saiga. The black and green is such a cool combo. I plan on putting an OD green Arsenal set on my milled SL.

Congrats on the new WASR

My only real  "gripe" with the new production WASRs is the blonde wood that Century is using.

I'm currently waiting on the UPS truck to deliver the set of Romanian laminate furniture that I ordered from APEX so that I can replace the stock furniture.

I'm still debating things, but I think that I'm going to start off with replacing the buttstock for now and then give the new Midwest Industries Gen 2 rail a try on the front end (a little mix of old and modern). Worst case scenario, I can always pick up a new polymer buttstock and go full "modern" or add the Romanian wood front handguard set on. Either way, I know that the blonde wood has to go.

Would had been cheaper for you just to refinish the wood. I refinished mine because I didn't like the blonde wood either.

Congrats on the new WASR

My only real  "gripe" with the new production WASRs is the blonde wood that Century is using.

I'm currently waiting on the UPS truck to deliver the set of Romanian laminate furniture that I ordered from APEX so that I can replace the stock furniture.

I'm still debating things, but I think that I'm going to start off with replacing the buttstock for now and then give the new Midwest Industries Gen 2 rail a try on the front end (a little mix of old and modern). Worst case scenario, I can always pick up a new polymer buttstock and go full "modern" or add the Romanian wood front handguard set on. Either way, I know that the blonde wood has to go.

Would had been cheaper for you just to refinish the wood. I refinished mine because I didn't like the blonde wood either.

True - but I really prefer the rough look of laminated AK furniture. I got a used set with some blemishes so it wasn't that expensive. I'm recycling the metal hardware from the Century set to keep the cost down as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All these pics caused me to go out and buy one as well haha.

Care to explain your process? I have the plastic furniture on my DDI but want to switch to wood. Deciding between a nice set of Boyds furniture from Atlantic or buying a beat up set and refinishing it myself.

Can of cherry chestnut Minwax stain, matte clear spray lacquer and fine sand paper with patience. Some folks just sand it down and use oils. I decided stain was faster and easy.

Before:

052006a2442f56bf607ace2fb50e45b1.jpg

After:

b8172f147dabf642f27729e87374943c.jpg

Good article here: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/understanding-oil-wax-finishes/

• Like 1

that looks nice!

Can of cherry chestnut Minwax stain, matte clear spray lacquer and fine sand paper with patience. Some folks just sand it down and use oils. I decided stain was faster and easy.

Before:

052006a2442f56bf607ace2fb50e45b1.jpg

After:

b8172f147dabf642f27729e87374943c.jpg

Good article here: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/understanding-oil-wax-finishes/

That definitely looks good. I wish that I had more time to be able to devote the attention that staining requires but my work schedule doesn't leave much free time. I stained the stock for my M1A SOCOM last year but that was done using Tung oil which was pretty low effort

refinishing wood isnt all that dificult, time consuming if you want a deep finish, this is an airsoft gun i redid the stock set for:

13876684_1699228153672196_46466645472945

heres another set that ive been wet sanding and building up the shellac on:

13912398_1702520240009654_81634574486477

Finishing wood is easy in general but takes some finesse and time to do it right.

Plenty of different oils and waxes and finishes to use and experiment with.

There are plenty of threads on other forums that explain it thoroughly, a quick Google search is also it takes.

I enjoy woodworking so it was fairly simple once I started refinishing stock sets but just take your time is the most important part. Don't rush it. Let coats fully dry and sand with very fine steel wool between coats. It's amazing what you can do. I'd highly suggest refinishing your own stock set but a beat up Romy G set looks good on any AK.

Wow some real nice finishes here.

Ive seen a bunch of threads on refinishing but I almost became overwhelmed. Some stain, some dye, some use shellac, some use tung oil, some use a combination, but Im not sure which method should be used when haha.

If anyone has a bead on a beat up stock set, PM me.

I have the 2nd coat on now, I know I want at least one more coat, and will go from there. When it is all done, I will take some pictures.

If you want a decent step by step guide, i am following the guide here: http://wasr-10.com/how-to-refinish-AK-furniture

I didnt find the citristrip so I used the goof off spray stripper. I also used 100/220/320(350?) grit sandpaper. All in, I think it was about $38 (for everything I didnt already have) from Lowes. I got sedona red.

Fingers crossed it comes out nice. Everything else I did today fought with me to the end...