Scorpio64

Car for Rebuild or Scrap

I have a 1994 Cadillac Deville Concours that needs to get gone fast.  The cash for cars places will give me $200 for it.  I dunno if anyone here is in the biz but if you want it, it's here for the taking at the low low price of two hundred wingwangs.  One way or another, it will be out of here by Monday.

The car has been sleeping (in a coma) in my driveway for about two years and has many many minor issues.  No major mechanical issues or body problems.  It is a reparable project car for a DIYer or can be parted out as a donor car or simply crushed and sent off to china.  I cannot find the title so if you want to make a project of it I will have to get a duplicate.

Just throwing it out here because I'd rather a slightly familiar forum member have first crack at it instead of a complete stranger.

Have you tried car for kids? -- Just wondering if the tax write off is worth it --  I too have a 92 lincoln continental thats needs gone -- Mine runs well, just don't have the time or the urge to fix it up and sell it

Not for nothing but Cars for Kids sends Jewish kids to summer camp.  It's not cars for cancer kids, or cars for Jerry's kids.  It's a Jewish Charity in central Jersey that essentially gives privileged kids a good summer trip.

I don't really have any issue with it other than the deceptive advertising.   They make you think little bald headed cancer kids get something special when in fact it's nothing like that. Also, the jingle is annoying.

Not for nothing but Cars for Kids sends Jewish kids to summer camp.  It's not cars for cancer kids, or cars for Jerry's kids.  It's a Jewish Charity in central Jersey that essentially gives privileged kids a good summer trip.

I don't really have any issue with it other than the deceptive advertising.   They make you think little bald headed cancer kids get something special when in fact it's nothing like that. Also, the jingle is annoying.

Really?? those bastards --  I was all ready to help out sick kids

Don't take my word for it, google it.

Kars4Kids is questioned by charity watchdogs
The charity behind the radio jingle that gets stuck in your head has drawn $65,000 fines from two attorneys general for misleading donors. 
By Jean Hopfensperger Star Tribune
December 24, 2011 — 7:47pm
more

The catchy jingle advertising Kars4Kids charity began blanketing radio airwaves across the Twin Cities around Thanksgiving. The ditty ends with: "We're a recognized 501©(3) charity organization, so you'll receive a maximum tax deduction."

The ad doesn't say that Kars4Kids is recognized for other reasons, such as for failing to disclose the beneficiaries of its car donations.

Kars4Kids is well known to attorneys general in Oregon and Pennsylvania who investigated the charity for leading donors to think the charity benefited a broad group of children, not a "narrow religious purpose."

Kars4Kids, they learned, is the primary funder of a New Jersey organization called Oorah Inc. that provides religious-based services to Orthodox Jewish children. Kars4Kids paid $65,000 in fines in each state in 2009.

I.E. They send Rich Jewish kids to luxury retreats.

Not for nothing but Cars for Kids sends Jewish kids to summer camp. 

Is it good for their concentration?

....... too soon?

rbifls.gif

Just out of curiosity, why do you interpret "provides religious based services to Jewish children" to your above comment?

Because there have been others that have researched this.  Even on the Wiki page, see below.    They send Jewish kids to day camps to get them more involved in Judaism.   Again, people can donate to what they want and charities can form to do whatever they want.   The fact that it isn't going toward "needy kids" is the deceptive part about it.  In our society, if you do something "for kids", it is unwritten that it is going to kids in need.  These kids may desperately need religion in their life, but we generally donate to children in immediate peril of not eating or needing immediate medical treatment and this charity does not do that.

Kars4Kids is a multinational non-profit national car donation organization based in Lakewood, New Jersey and Toronto, Canada which donates its proceeds to Oorah, an incorporated Orthodox Jewish kiruv (outreach) organization dedicated to "awakening Jewish children and their families to their heritage."[1] Kars4Kids is a United States based 501©3 non-profit organization.[2] A GuideStar gold medal charity,[3] it receives a 1 star ranking (out of a possible 4) from Charity Navigator.[4] It was founded by Rabbi Chaim Mintz.[5]"

Because there have been others that have researched this.  Even on the Wiki page, see below.    They send Jewish kids to day camps to get them more involved in Judaism.   Again, people can donate to what they want and charities can form to do whatever they want.   The fact that it isn't going toward "needy kids" is the deceptive part about it.  In our society, if you do something "for kids", it is unwritten that it is going to kids in need.  These kids may desperately need religion in their life, but we generally donate to children in immediate peril of not eating or needing immediate medical treatment and this charity does not do that.

I am not questioning the validity or lack of validity of this organization. Other than their annoying commercials, I know nothing about it. I am just looking to understand why you needed to add the adjectives "rich" and "luxury" to your description of the organization's purpose.

I am not questioning the validity or lack of validity of this organization. Other than their annoying commercials, I know nothing about it. I am just looking to understand why you needed to add the adjectives "rich" and "luxury" to your description of the organization's purpose.

Because it's accurate?  They are not pulling in inner cities kids.   They are pulling kids from affluent neighborhoods, sending them off to day camps at resorts.    This organization does not send kids off to campgrounds in a forest for a weekend to sleep in tents with a flashlight and a poop shovel.