Rob0115

Learning to weld

Is there any tech schools or community college classes? I'd like to learn how to weld, tig, because I'm very curious about the process and skill involved. If anyone is a welder and wants to give lessons, and are reasonably close by, I'd be happy to pay appropriately. I've been googling and watching videos but I think this is something that might require hands-on interaction.

I've been down this road.  All I can say is good luck.  Very few do it and even less have the time to teach.  

It's not super hard.  I have a Tig welder if you want to try your hand at it.  I know just enough to get myself into trouble.  

I see Essex county vo-tech has a class. I may call them. I've done MiG welding in the past. I may just practice and follow all the online resources that I see.

Which welder did you buy?

Adult learning schools sometimes offer them. To really learn you would have to go to a vocational school and it would be costly . watch some youtube and do research. ask questions . you will figure it out. There are tons of variations in welding. one size does not fit all

Harbor Freight has some cheap ones good for home projects. I'd go that route to see if its something you'd want to get serious about. I am considering one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harbor Freight has some cheap ones good for home projects. I'd go that route to see if its something you'd want to get serious about. I am considering one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this. Get a cheap one or a used one and then if you want to continue get a Miller. Miller is to welding as Dillon is to reloading. Make sure that you get a model with a foot control not a "scratch to start" type.  

If you come across a welder but no one to show you the ropes let me know. I can Mig, Tig, and Gas weld but I don't have any welders at the moment and no place to weld at my house.

I'm going to buy a starter TiG and happy to pay you for your time (not looking to insult anyone and not looking to be presumptuous either). I'll look you up once I get one if I can't find a class.

I'm going to buy a starter TiG and happy to pay you for your time (not looking to insult anyone and not looking to be presumptuous either). I'll look you up once I get one if I can't find a class.

just provide some beer

I would not suggest trying to learn to weld with anything from Harbor Freight -- You'll never know if your bad welds are you or the machine 

A skilled welder will have trouble making good welds with a HF machine --  If you still think you want a HF welder, do yourself a favor and don't buy their wire --

get Lincoln wire -- HD and lowes sells it for decent prices

I think the Morris County votech in Denville offers adult welding classes.

They do, I used to teach the plumbing apprenticeship course there. Herb Brown is the adult ed welding instructor. Really great guy, and a phenomenal welder. I took his class myself. Since I worked at the school I could take any classes in wanted to for free.

I would not suggest trying to learn to weld with anything from Harbor Freight -- You'll never know if your bad welds are you or the machine

A skilled welder will have trouble making good welds with a HF machine -- If you still think you want a HF welder, do yourself a favor and don't buy their wire --

get Lincoln wire -- HD and lowes sells it for decent prices

no wire with Tig
  • Like 1

It used to be (back growing up in Texas) that high schools/community colleges taught these type of courses at a reasonable cost, mostly on weekend for us working folks. I cannot find anything in my area that isn't a tech/trade school full blown course for several thousand dollars a semester.

Hell, all I want to do is learn some basic welding and fabrication, so I can be a little more self sufficient out at the ranch. Like to be able to weld up repairs on a tractor implement, or fabricate somethings without having to hire someone from town.

Anyone know of something in Camden County that isn't crazy money/time investment?

Someone mentioned the Lincoln wire for the HF welder. I second that. The wire that comes with their mig machine is hot garbage.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

is it flux core wire? Or are the HF welders gas shielded?