AlDente67

Important - Need HVAC replacement now - Anybody?

My AC crapped out yesterday.  It was old - 1999 or so.  Cost to repair is huge.  Cost to replace is huger (is that a word?)  May as well get it done instead of duct tape repairs that will fail anyway.

What sort of quotes would be reasonable for a single-zone A/C and gas Heat furnace (both are struggling)?  Nothing top line fancy, but something to invest in for the next 15 years?

My service guy thinks $12k is in the ballpark for a 14 SEER Ac and 2-stage blower.  No electrical or special ducting needed.

Anyone?

Are there any decent incentives around these days?

Check with your gas or electricity company for rebates. PSE&G has a page of them.

I had my coil and Condenser done about 3 years ago. 4K for 3.5 ton. I'd guess another 5-6k for a 120kbtu furnace.

Edit. I have york. Trane Lennox carrier may be more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with your gas or electricity company for rebates. PSE&G has a page of them.

I had my coil and Condenser done about 3 years ago. 4K for 3.5 ton. I'd guess another 5-6k for a 120kbtu furnace.

Edit. I have york. Trane Lennox carrier may be more.

Thanks fish.  I spoke to a few...they suggest a 5 ton AC unit for 2400 sq ft of space.  Seems high?

All depends on the house and build. Ask them to show you the heat loss calculations. You are better with a right size unit that runs longer than an oversized unit that short cycles.

I have a 2200 ft ranch with standard 2x4 construction.

Thanks fish. I spoke to a few...they suggest a 5 ton AC unit for 2400 sq ft of space. Seems high?

1 ton per every 500sq foot of living space is about what the heat loss calculator or manual J will work out to be. So 5 ton is about right. I just did a 5 ton Ac condenser, case coil, 13 seer single stage, 120K btuh furnace Comfort maker (which is owned by Carrier corp) replacement. Think with everything including transition ductwork, and new lineset I did the entire job for $8500...

Is it true now that a dual zone system is run off of one condenser now? Does that one condenser cost way more than a standard single unit?

As soon as you start going higher than 14 seer on a condenser the price starts jumping in about $2000 dollar increments. Considering we don't live in Florida, and only use our AC units for about 3 month of the year solid, it doesn't usually pay to step up to 16.5 seer over the lifetime of the unit. Most new equipment lasts about 12 years before failure, if you get 15 you didn't good. Buy that time you just recoupe the extra you spent to jump up in efficiency maybe.

You can zone any ducted system with zone control dampers. But it's a poor practice to use. For true efficient zoning, multiple ducted systems or mini splits are ideal. I can do 5 mini split heads off of one condenser. That's 5 separate zones. I can go to 8 heads with branch boxes, off of one condenser as well.

Energy rebates in NJ are administered by the Office of Clean Energy.

Everything you need is here http://www.njcleanenergy.com

There are usually state and federal rebates every year, depending on if their energy standards are met by the new equipment.

Here are this year's standards. The new standards are probably in the mail to me now.

4bd3e8963056414ae6a65eef7f245322.jpg

Ended up with a system from the outfit who does my spring checkups.  Wasn't cheap but I can already feel the difference over the old one.  A Lennox setup.  Thought the incentives were more substantial, but it was something.

They said if we could start the next day, the owner would throw in a free humidifier.  As we are sitting there sweating, we said to go ahead.

I'm sure I could have shaved a few bucks with shopping around for a few days, but everyone in this house becomes a wreck if we can't sleep in cold rooms.

The techs said that the layout they had to work with was a challenge.  They custom fabbed a fair bit around the plenum to get a good fit.

For some reason, I thought the incentives were in the thousands back in 2000 when I had the last system put in, but I could be foggy on that.

The funny part is that the standard 3-day right of recision applies since it was an in-home sales consult and contract.  That would make it 7pm tonight to cancel the contract, and then lock the doors so they can't come in and rip it out.  :)

• Like 1

Ended up with a system from the outfit who does my spring checkups.  Wasn't cheap but I can already feel the difference over the old one.  A Lennox setup.  Thought the incentives were more substantial, but it was something.

They said if we could start the next day, the owner would throw in a free humidifier.  As we are sitting there sweating, we said to go ahead.

I'm sure I could have shaved a few bucks with shopping around for a few days, but everyone in this house becomes a wreck if we can't sleep in cold rooms.

The techs said that the layout they had to work with was a challenge.  They custom fabbed a fair bit around the plenum to get a good fit.

For some reason, I thought the incentives were in the thousands back in 2000 when I had the last system put in, but I could be foggy on that.

The funny part is that the standard 3-day right of recision applies since it was an in-home sales consult and contract.  That would make it 7pm tonight to cancel the contract, and then lock the doors so they can't come in and rip it out.   :)

Glad you are back up.  The incentives were HUGE after the economy tanked, I think I got a Federal credit of $4,000 on one system and the HVAC company gave another $1,000 and the state through in $1,500.  But that was then and this is now.  At the time I replaced a 30 year old system just because it was only and the deal was so good.  So, I guess the incentive worked to help the economy as they motivated me to save $6,500 on something that I likely would have done anyway in a year or two. :)

Ended up with a system from the outfit who does my spring checkups. Wasn't cheap but I can already feel the difference over the old one. A Lennox setup. Thought the incentives were more substantial, but it was something.

They said if we could start the next day, the owner would throw in a free humidifier. As we are sitting there sweating, we said to go ahead.

The techs said that the layout they had to work with was a challenge. They custom fabbed a fair bit around the plenum to get a good fit.

The funny part is that the standard 3-day right of recision applies since it was an in-home sales consult and contract. That would make it 7pm tonight to cancel the contract, and then lock the doors so they can't come in and rip it out. :)

Once they install anything they can't rip it out. It's part of the house once it's in place. All material on the job site is property of the contractor until it's installed. But if you agree to the contract and the start date you agree to is before the 3 day back out period. You're SOL lol... Besides it's pretty easy to lean the property for the amount owed.

Lennox makes decent equipment. You should be happy with their stuff.

The incentives change every year, for both state and federal rebates.