Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

EMT Certification

I know we have a lot of first responders here so I figured this was the place to go for good info.

I'm asking this question for my 16 year old daughter who will be 17 in 2 months.   She's going into her senior year of high school and has decided (mostly) to go into nursing after high school.   She is interested in becoming certified as an EMT this year as (1) a way to explore the medical field before committing to 4 years of study and (2) as a possible way to support herself while in college.

I think that's pretty smart of her.   I had a friend in high school who got his EMT-B when he was in high school and volunteered with the local rescue squad so I know it's possible.  We've both researched the requirements and realize it's going to be a big time commitment along with her honors high school curriculum.  

My question is:  Where in South Jersey are courses offered?  I've found two: Atlantic Cape CC and Camden County College.  Neither is very close to the Cumberland/Salem county border where we live.  I'm wondering if there are any private or other places that offer the courses closer to home.   Bridgeton / Millville / Viineland / Salem would be ideal but I'm sure we'll have to go a little further. 

Thanks in advance.

If she can handle the time commitment, consider volunteering for the closest non-pay rescue squad.  If she joins a squad then she will likely have the EMT certification course and continuing education expenses covered by the squad/state of NJ.

Also will likely make a lot of contacts in the medical field - when I volunteered our local squad was full of practicing and retired doctors, nurses and paramedics, and many of the high school cadets who were interested in a medical career got an "insider track" on internships and opportunities in hospitals in the area.

What DirtyDigz said. Local volunteer squads are always looking for people. There are a lot in south jersey. Usually they'll cover the EMT course and more importantly she will get some street experience. Book smart and real world are completely different. The skills need to be used and practiced or they're lost.

Both Burlington and Camden county emergency training centers offer the national registry course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salem County Fire Academy (856)769-2900 ex. 4119 (but I don't know what they have scheduled), or Gloucester County College (look in the adult education program under Allied Health) their class kicks off next week, you may still be able to get in. I doubt you'll be able to pick up the fees under the state training fund, she would need to be running with a volunteer squad.

But yes, it is a good entry into the medical field. I'm old, and have been a volunteer EMT for many years. My day job paid much better than I could earn in EMS, but I've watched many young people get their EMT's and go on to great careers in the medical field - nurses, ER Techs, even a doctor or two. I've also sat in several countinuing education courses where the instructor (often a doctor, nurse, or surgeon proudly announces that they got their starts as EMTs.

You might also check with Milville Rescue, they might have a program

The others said what I was going to say. Have her volunteer with a local squad. The squad will send her to EMT school. This is also a good way to learn if she has a stomach for this line of work.

I've seen a lot of kids become EMT's, get on one really bad call then never step into an ambulance again.

That said, keep her focused on getting her BSN, there are tons of possibilities with a BSN that don't exist elsewhere.

My wife is an RN, BSN who does clinical research. She makes her own hours, travels all over the country and gets involved in cool stuff.

Millville Rescue had a program, I believe it's still offered. Gloucester used to have a program. At one time Cumberland's EMT class was associated with the fire academy (IIRC).