ironbeard

Safe recommendation

Looking to buy a gun safe. I don't have a lot of background knowledge on them. If someone can point me in the direction of quality safes that i won't be over paying for. Not that my budget is tight i just don't wanna over pay for a shit box safe. I will be keeping handguns, shotguns, and rifles in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What is its purpose? If you want one to protect from fire you want 90 minute protection. 30 minute is good for protecting from a smash and grab, but if there is a fire in the home, they're probably toast.

What is its purpose? If you want one to protect from fire you want 90 minute protection. 30 minute is good for protecting from a smash and grab, but if there is a fire in the home, they're probably toast.

Fire rating has no bearing on the actual strength of a safe. It's mainly its ability to insulate from heat.

Things to look for are the safes wall and door thickness.. number of locking bolts and their strength and its vulnerability to be pried open.

Most safes you see will only protect smash and grab would be thieves. If you want to keep a professional robber out of your safe, its not going to happen. You can only slow them down.

No that i recommend either safe, but the comparison in this article will let you know exactly what you should be looking for.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/

Be aware, that some high end safes can be pried right open if the robbers can get them face up on the ground. The locking bolts seem to be the weak spot and bend.

Looking to buy a gun safe. I don't have a lot of background knowledge on them. If someone can point me in the direction of quality safes that i won't be over paying for. Not that my budget is tight i just don't wanna over pay for a shit box safe. I will be keeping handguns, shotguns, and rifles in it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As someone interested in the same, my research so far leads me to believe that you get what you pay for. The safes you see in places like Dick's that run from $200-$700 are a deterrent, they're not going to keep out anyone with a crowbar and a few minutes, and they're not heavy enough to prevent someone pressed for time from wheeling them out your front door to dismantle at their leisure in another place. The thick doors on most are cosmetic. Don't take just my word for it: http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/#myth-thicker-door-is-stronger They're probably good enough for keeping kids out, but that's about all.

I am willing to make the investment in a Graffunder but space is an issue. I'm still looking for a solution. 

I'm also trying to find out if gun safes are still tax exempt in NJ.  :think:  Previously they were exempted under 54:32B-8.50 & -8.51, but that appears to have expired (circa 2012?)

Definitely sales tax exempt. In fact, ordering them online it automatically removes sales tax.. Just has to be labeled a gun safe; a large safe for the purpose of, say, files, still will be charged sales tax. Ran into that issue @ home depot.
So, yes, gun safes are exempt from sales tax in NJ. Dont have the actual paper but if you go online and add one to your cart from any big box store that would otherwise charge sales tax, youll see it doesnt charge anything.

As for a safe, I had a stack on that was defective. Great customer service replacing it and now i have a new stack on unit.
If you dont care to spend the money, you can get a liberty, amsec, etc. which are the next step up and can be had for the 1500 or so price range. If you're getting one with a keypad, be sure to research... many tend to fail and stack on is the only brand that provides an emergency back up key, which is why i didnt get a cannon and such.... dont want to have to pay a locksmith 300$ to break into my safe and then have to replace the whole thing.

Definitely sales tax exempt. In fact, ordering them online it automatically removes sales tax.. Just has to be labeled a gun safe; a large safe for the purpose of, say, files, still will be charged sales tax. Ran into that issue @ home depot.

So, yes, gun safes are exempt from sales tax in NJ. Dont have the actual paper but if you go online and add one to your cart from any big box store that would otherwise charge sales tax, youll see it doesnt charge anything.

As for a safe, I had a stack on that was defective. Great customer service replacing it and now i have a new stack on unit.

If you dont care to spend the money, you can get a liberty, amsec, etc. which are the next step up and can be had for the 1500 or so price range. If you're getting one with a keypad, be sure to research... many tend to fail and stack on is the only brand that provides an emergency back up key, which is why i didnt get a cannon and such.... dont want to have to pay a locksmith 300$ to break into my safe and then have to replace the whole thing.

For items of this size and weight, I like to buy local. I've learned the hard way that online retailers *cough*Amazon*cough* think it's acceptable for me to have to haul a 100lb (or more) item to my local UPS store when they deliver something that looks like it fell off the back of a truck and then got run over. Better that I support local business, and that I can check the item before leaving the store premises. In the past I have wheeled things at brick & mortar stores straight from the checkout/exit back to the entrance/customer service because I discovered defects. I'd rather pay $5-$15 more for something to make sure it's as it should be, than save that amount online only to find I then need to spend time and gas arranging a return.

Electric safes do not interest me. To each their own, but I would never willingly rely on something that could be disabled because the battery ran out or someone unplugged it. I miss landlines and rotary dial; I remember just how useless FIOS and wireless handsets were after Sandy…  :telephone:

I considered Stack-on but…

Edited by Cereza

Bolt it to the floor. Most safes have holes in the bottom for that purpose. I realize the fire rating has nothing to do with the security of the safe. I meant that the 30 minute rated safes likely won't survive a house fire.

Thats one of their dinky safes, mines a beefier one. Realistically, any safe with exposed sides is easier than you think to get into.

As far as liberty and amsec, both can be purchased locally.

As for stack on, i just had to put my safe outside and they had a company come take it and deliver a new one to my curb.

The one from walmart has a slightly waved top panel and the carpet was a bit jacked (as reviews said) but i got a 15% or so refund for it, so no big deal... stuck the carpeting right back up lol...

Anywho, amsec is supposed to be good. Liberty looks nice but 1300-1400$+ was pushing it for me, nor did i want to wait too long.

Both seem to be about the same price range, so look into both and decide for yourself if youd like them. There are a few others as well. Go to one of your local safe dealers (heritage guild is nearby for me) and talk to them, as well.

I buy all my safes that I resell, at Tractor Supply, when they are on sale. I personally own Liberties.

Today is the day to buy. The next sale won't be until Black Friday.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Could someone comment to the OP and me the value of buying one that's big enough for EVERYTHING vs. just handguns, or select long guns and handguns? My current safe is barely large enough for my handguns. I have too many commie rifles. What is the general wisdom on this subject? 

Also how do you get the safe from the curb to its ultimate location? Most companies I've seen advertise that they'll leave it at the curb. Unfortunately Newton won't let me leave it there. 

I got a 35 gun safe, thinking itd be enough. Its been a few months and im already outgrowing it. Barely fits the 8 or so rifles i have on one side cause most have a sight.

I prefer to keep everything in one safe personally as i like things being organized. My ammo stash outgrew my safe so now most of it is in a metal cabinet.. any extra space is filled with ammo to add some weight.

Id suggest buying a single higher end, larger safe over two mediocre ones... itll be heavier and therefore harder to move (bad for moving into place, great for anti theft) but you wont end up with stack ons like me lol. I guess it depends on how many firearms we are talking about though.

Id personally suggest buying a giant liberty and being done with it..

As for moving the safe, mines a stack on 35 gun so it wasnt too bad. The door comes off once you unlock it so we removed the door and used a furniture cart to get it in. Hard part was actually the shell which was a PITA as it barely fit through the 90 degree turn into the house.

There are safe moving companies that can bring it into your house. I just had my neighbor, brother and friend help and if was more than enough...

Youd want about one person per 100lb to manhandle it.

Also how do you get the safe from the curb to its ultimate location? Most companies I've seen advertise that they'll leave it at the curb. Unfortunately Newton won't let me leave it there. 

You can request (and pay for) inside delivery (sometimes call white glove delivery). Depending upon the safe it can cost a few hundred. They had all of the needed equipment and four guys to move it off the truck and into the house where I wanted it. They even placed steel plates on the floor so their pallet jack wouldn't damage the floor.

If you're not too budget constrained, I think Sturdy Safes are good value for the money. The minimum steel thickness is 3/16" for the body and 5/16" for the door and you can upgrade it with thicker steel (and torch resistant stainless) if you want. The door seams are too tight to get a screwdriver in, let alone a pry bar. The only problem is that these bad boys are heavy! Most of the other safes I've been looking at are glorified steel metal and a lot of their weigh comes from the sheet rock they use as fireproofing. The Sturdys are heavy because they have a lot of steel. I haven't ordered a Sturdy yet because I have to figure out how to get it from the garage to the basement. Me & my buds are way too old to be messing with it and I don't know who to trust for the move. I like to keep these things LOW PROFILE.

Here is their website:

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

When it comes to firearms, think eggs. You would not put all your eggs in one "basket" would you?

Itd have to be a mighty large house to conceal more than one basket. I have a safe and steel cabinet in my house but its only 500sqft... cabinet has some ammo in the bottom, rest is in the safe. If you have the $$ and dpace definitely get a few safes. One on each floor would be awesome, especially for home defense... train everyone to run to that one room if SHTF and lock n load. For me, i get out of bed and take 15 steps and im about across my house, so... different for me i guess lol

We are creatures of habit and any good predator will know and exploit those habits. The key is to distract them from their objective and at least try to level the playing field.  Do not develop bad habits.

I've posted this here and on other sites several times.....my thoughts on sheet metal cabinets versus gun safes can be summed up by thinking about threat levels, and, more importantly, what is your goal in protection. 

If your goal is to keep the kids (and the teenage "opportunistic" thieves) out of the guns, one of those sheet metal cabinets is more than sufficient - they aren't going to even try to open the door. 

If you are trying to protect from the typical 'smash and grab' thief, a cabinet is also more than sufficient - it will slow them down considerably, and they want to get "in and out" as fast as possible. 

If you are trying to protect against an organized bunch that is bent on getting into your stuff; well, it depends. Is the typical thief going to have enough time to cut thru the lock/door without interruption, or enough time, ability and cover to rip it off the wall and carry it to a waiting pickup truck?  If so, then you need a bigger/heavier safe. 

Having said all that....My threat 'level' was the first...I needed to keep the (then young) kids out of the guns.  I've used the Homak version 8-rifle cabinet ($99.95 blue light special) with the Pistol Cabinet ($40 or so) bolted on top for over 20 years....if you take the foam barrel rest out and replace it with a piece of felt or something else that's soft, and put some of your rifles/shotguns muzzle down, you can get a LOT more than 8 in there.

• Like 1

OTOH if someone's breaking in you'd better not have to go to a safe. I'd think HD guns would be OUT of safes. 

I have a digital lock on my safe. Unfortunately, i have a VERY curious 1 year old and can't leave it out. I have those quick access safes i have for sale on here but TBH i have nowhere to mount/put one.

I agree with what was said above. Depends on your needs. A nice safe can be had in the 1000-1500$ range without a doubt. Liberty makes some nice stuff, it depends on how fancy of a safe you want too.. Entry level versus higher fire protection and internal/external upgrades etc..

I wanted a Liberty real bad but couldn't swing the money.

I have a digital lock on my safe. Unfortunately, i have a VERY curious 1 year old and can't leave it out. I have those quick access safes i have for sale on here but TBH i have nowhere to mount/put one.

I agree with what was said above. Depends on your needs. A nice safe can be had in the 1000-1500$ range without a doubt. Liberty makes some nice stuff, it depends on how fancy of a safe you want too.. Entry level versus higher fire protection and internal/external upgrades etc..

You can easily store a gun well out of range of a 1 year old. Problem is when they get older. When my parents were out I used to search everywhere, get onto chairs, feel around the tops of furniture I couldn't reach. I would have loved to find a gun like the one the cop upstairs owned but my ultra-conservative father was and remains anti-gun. Probably a good thing I didn't find one. 

right now I have a 20 month old, 5 month old and a 1 month old baby at my house. My HD pistol is only locked when I'm not home, if I'm home it's in my pocket on on my nightstand while I sleep. When I leave the house it gets locked up with the rest. No reason to stash guns about with curious young children around, or have to run to your safe if someone breaks in.