lhrocker

Is a COE needed to buy a long gun in PA?

I was in Easton yesterday to hit the range and decided to drop in at Dicks Sporting Goods.  Since they're having a sale on Savage 11VT for $419 after rebate, I thought I'd check it out.  After looking it over, I decided to buy it and asked the sales person what is needed since I'm a NJ resident.  They said a NJ FID and DL was all.  I asked about a COE and that I didn't have one but one can be printed off the NJSP site.  He said that he never heard of such a thing.  I decided to hold off to verify before I pick it up, as sales tax is less in NJ as well as NICS.

So, do I need a COE?  If so, I'll print one out so I can have them fill it out.  If not, then cool.

Technically, yes, you do. But, some PA FFLs do not bother because it means nothing to them.  Not really a deal breaker to you either as there is no mandatory registration in NJ.  Tanner's in PA does them at time of purchase.  

A COE is a NJ form. Federal law says the sale of long guns from a FFL out of state would have to be legal in both states. You really can't expect a out of state FFL to fill out a form only required in NJ. Once it is filled out I don't know of any laws requiring you to keep it.

If the PA dealer wants to fill it out, then print one out from the NJSP website and let them. If they don't feel like filling one out, then don't worry about it because there is no requirement for you to produce one in the future.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Nothing will happen, so don't worry about it.

• Like 1