Lambo2936

Inexpensive handguns for the ladies? Something 'cute'

Trying to find something to burn my 2nd pistol permit on... wifey has been bothering me for something so she can shoot when we are at the range together so i figured ill try and surprise her..
Anyone have any suggestions? She likes stuff like the kimber sapphire but that's just way too much $$ and i already have a 1911.

I like the Walther pk380 in blue and white however i read online that the tolerances are really loose and it is ridiculously inaccurate, which is a no-go for me.
Anyone know of something similar thats around the 500$ price range? I COULD have something cerakoted but dont really want to do so.. She likes the little 380 handguns that look like compact 1911's? They were fairly inexpensive with rosewood grips and stuff.. Not colorful, but she still liked them so that would be my preference but i dont remember what the hell they were... ughhh
Think i found em, looks like the sig p938 and such.

Edit: Nevermind, 380 is quite a bit more expensive than 9mm, i guess due to the oddball caliber. She's getting a 9mm! lol

For those just joining in, to clear up the many questions asked below, it is MY firearm and will be locked with MY firearms in MY safe. It is exclusively for her to practice with when we are BOTH at the range.. she will otherwise not have access to it, nor is it a HD gun or anything like that.. Just something to keep her entertained when i bring her to the range with me..

Check out the EAA Pavona Witness series. It's actually developed by women for women's specifications in terms of hand size/strength etc. They make them in .380 and 9mm. That and they're SPARKLY!!!!!

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/witness-pavona-polymer-compact-by-tanfolgio-26

My wife has this one in 9mm...

witness-pavona-polymer-compact-by-tanfol

She hasn't gotten out to shoot it yet, between the kids and work over the summer. The feel and quality is nice though. Only hammer fired gun in my house :p You can find them for $330ish. 

That's not bad.
Id have preferred the 380 but its like 20% more than 9mm, so she'll get a 9mm and thatll allow me to buy in bulk more (and justify it).

Also to be clear, she's not a pink kinda girl.. Green or blue would be preferred. 
A great deal on a kimber sapphire would be perfect... impossible to find used though :/

If you like Kimbers and want a 9mm I have a Solo that I've been debating parting with. I can't get myself to list it but I should probably let it go.

IMG_20160411_070306.jpg

I live in Colonia, PM if you want to stop by and take a look.

That's not bad.

Id have preferred the 380 but its like 20% more than 9mm, so she'll get a 9mm and thatll allow me to buy in bulk more (and justify it).

Also to be clear, she's not a pink kinda girl.. Green or blue would be preferred. 

A great deal on a kimber sapphire would be perfect... impossible to find used though :/

One of the reasons I didn't really give her the choice was so I don't have to buy 380 ammo LMAO. I'd rather just stick to keeping 9mm on hand since I don't own any 380 LOL

Why not let her pick. To me, any gun that's a "girls gun" is just a sales tactic to sell guns that aren't good enough to hang with the big boys

Because the first thing she picked is one of those itty bitty pink rugers.... If i'm getting her something it has to look decent in my safe. At the end of the day itll be my handgun with my name registered to it, and i'll be the one looking at it next to my 1911 and glock. Haha

Ill probably go to heritage with her and look around and see what she likes.

Because the first thing she picked is one of those itty bitty pink rugers.... If i'm getting her something it has to look decent in my safe. At the end of the day itll be my handgun with my name registered to it, and i'll be the one looking at it next to my 1911 and glock. Haha

If she's not going to get her own fpid and p2p then just get whatever you want. My wife picked a g17 gen4. I wish it was in my name actually

That Walther looks nice if she's not into sparkly like I posted!

First things first, have her get her FID. Strength in numbers! 

First things first, have her get her FID. Strength in numbers! 

She was talking about getting hers. Just switched her DL to this address finally (after like 2 years of living in the new place) so ill have her look into it. Not sure if she is eligible as she was on meds when she was younger for anxiety and stuff, i believe. Any idea as to what the regulations are when it comes to the mental background stuff?

That Walther looks nice if she's not into sparkly like I posted!

Thats the one i mentioned in my initial post.. I saw it on armslist on one of monmouth arms posts for like 400$... I wouldnt think twice but the ammo is fairly expensive for it..Just bought a case of 9 for like 20 cents and change per round... 380 is quite a bit more for less 'bang'.... i know why, but that is whats keeping me from calling him up right now and paying for it over the phone, haha.

I'd totally rock that thing, i think it looks badass and its got a safety and all which is great.. I guess its still less than my .45, though, and it probably wont get shot much.. I'll ask her what she thinks.

My wife was not the least bit interested in a 'cute' firearm. She wanted one that was effective.

Her current favorite is the Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm. She is rather potent with it.

When she wants bling, she buys jewelry.

• Like 4

Thats the one i mentioned in my initial post.. I saw it on armslist on one of monmouth arms posts for like 400$... I wouldnt think twice but the ammo is fairly expensive for it..Just bought a case of 9 for like 20 cents and change per round... 380 is quite a bit more for less 'bang'.... i know why, but that is whats keeping me from calling him up right now and paying for it over the phone, haha.

I'd totally rock that thing, i think it looks badass and its got a safety and all which is great.. I guess its still less than my .45, though, and it probably wont get shot much.. I'll ask her what she thinks.

If she really likes that and wants a 380...how much is she really going to shoot it? Do you really need to worry about more then a few hundred rounds you have to keep on hand along with HD rounds? Probably not LOL

Ultimately, even if you're using your permit on it instead of having her get her own like I did, let her pick out the pistol. If she doesn't like it...she's not going to shoot it or will become disinterested. Don't pick it out for her.

• Like 1

It has to LOOK decent in YOUR safe?  You have a LOT to learn.  If it's HER gun when something goes BUMP in the night, what do you care what it LOOKS like?  LOOKS don't enter into the equation AT ALL!  A scratched-up POS w/ grip tape in a man-stopping caliber that SHE can put hits into a paper plate at 15 yards is what you want.  To HELL with your safe, lol!  Haha........  LOOKS don't shoot Perps; guns that see extensive practice do :) .  And then they wind-up in evidence lockers, piled on top of each other till the DA decides whether or not it was a "Righteous Shoot".

• Like 4

She was talking about getting hers. Just switched her DL to this address finally (after like 2 years of living in the new place) so ill have her look into it. Not sure if she is eligible as she was on meds when she was younger for anxiety and stuff, i believe. Any idea as to what the regulations are when it comes to the mental background stuff?

If she was committed to a mental health institution or facility, voluntarily or involuntarily, she'll need an expungement of her mental health record to qualify for an FID according to what I just read in New Jersey Gun Law. That is the only "mental health" disqualification, as far as I know.

If anxiety pills disqualified her half the people in this country would be disqualified.

If she's a new shooter and if you live in NJ what's wrong with a .22? Cheap gun, cheap ammo, accurate, easy to handle. I realize .22s bounce off of most people in these forums but the rounds actually go through paper. I shoot 200-400 every time I go out. 

I took my wife gun shopping this spring -- Went out to heritage guild in Easton while waiting of both of our permits --  She's small -- 5'3" 115lbs

Got a good salesman who was on board with what we where doing -- just getting a ton of guns in her hands to see what felt good to her

Spent about 3 hours there, at the end of it all it her favorite turned out to be a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm

Not cheap, but who cares

We go thru so much to get permission to buy a handgun here in NJ I just don't understand the cheap is better thing -- spend some money and get something worth all that hassle

Can I ask the really stupid question..   What is this for?  Solely for HD?   (which I would assume it would have to be).   Why would you get her a small snappy 9mm gun for HD?  I would think that a bigger, heavier, less recoil 9mm would be more conducive to HD.. 

Also, the "look good in my safe" comment....   seriously?  This can't truly be a consideration here, can it? 

Also - is she ever planning to shoot this gun on her own?   (i.e. go to the range without you).. 

Its not a HD gun; i have my glock 19 with a surefire weapon light on it for that. This is exclusively for shooting paper when we go to the range. Id probably keep a loaded mag in it in the safe in case, but that is far from its real purpose. Id consider a .22, but she knows how to shoot firearms. Maybe not as well as me, but she shot when she was younger as a lot of her family has guns.. im the 1st generation (and only one) to be armed in my family, other than a few up in Israel.

I had a lengthy discussion about it with my father on the way to the airport. Im fairly sure he now understands why ive been stocking up.

He believes that with enough terrorist attacks here in NJ theyll loosen the laws like Israel did to encourage people to open carry to deter rogue attacks.. what he didnt understand was the mentality here is to blame the weapon, not the terrorist..

Anywho, im going to visit heritage with her sometime this week to look around. She shot my 45 so 9 or 380 would be fine. A 22 would be cool since i have tons of 22 anyways, but i dont know if shed be into them as most are fairly fugly.

I just want suggestions so i know what to look at at heritage rather than any gun they have thats colorful, which is what she tends to do while im doing my own shopping..

My $.02

After shooting my S&W Shield 9mm, my daughter and daughter in law both went out and bought one (they shoot regularly).

I've read several articles about the great differences between what a man thinks a female wants in a gun and what the lady actually wants....don't make any assumptions - there are legal issues you should also be aware of if you buy your wife a gun with your permit, could get ugly if she were to take it to a range without you, real ugly if she ever had the need to use it to defend herself.