DirtyHalfBreedModerate

Shooting reloaded ammo

Awhile back I've purchased my first shipment of bulk ammunition which happened to be Freedom Munitions.

Shot about hundred rounds of it without not much of a problem (with a hasty inspection).  Found one dented round that looked risky.

I know the basics.

Brass looks decent, no 300 Blackout.

While organizing them into stripper clips, though I found 2 other rounds that looked iffy.  I may post pics.

What exactly does a bad reload look like externally?

Also, has any other reviews/info on FM?

On Saturday I finally opened the box with my 600 rounds of remanufactured .38 specials. Threw a few handfuls into my box and went shooting. Out of around 75 rounds 4 were duds. The three that failed to fire all looked fine and slid into the cylinder with no trouble. He must have forgot to put the primer in there. I didn't try to shoot the 4th round. The bullet was only about halfway out of the case and the round didn't fit in the cylinder. It looked oval shaped in the middle so just as well I couldn't get it in. Unreliable but very accurate. 

I reload my own and have very few problems, plus I have something to do when it's too nasty to go to the range. Any remanufactured ammo I've bought have always had problems. I see a lot of trouble with remanufactured ammo at our club's open pistol night too. Safety Officer  redline when someone is having trouble with every third round.

Wow - if those are purchased rounds that have been QC checked - I would NEVER EVER shoot them -

There tolerance for a viable product are quite low - for the few extra pennies/dollars that you would by factory 1st ammo is worth much more than the savings of the second tier reloaded crap it would seem.

Also NEVER shoot reloads done by someone else, at least that is just me.....

Please explain what might happen. Except for the mutant my rounds looked professionally done.

General question: I can't be bothered but so many other people reload, including you. We have a forum dedicated to it. If you wouldn't use reloads someone else did, are you suggesting reloading is dangerous? IOW if you discourage us from shooting others' reloads, shouldn't you be discouraging reloading in general?

Another poster stated it wasn't worth the few pennies per round you save by buying reloads. Can't you say the same for reloading in general?

Two things about Freedom Munitions that scare me. First, their QC level is lacking. I have heard and seen way too many reloaded rounds from them that are questionable at best.  Now we are speaking reloaded rounds not their new rounds. I have seen fare less problems with their new ammo.  Second, it is their policy to accept "once fired brass" in trade from anyone towards the purchase of reloaded ammo.  Bad move.  I have been on ranges where everybody is picking up anything and sending it to FM for credit,

FM pricing of late has not been worth it.  There are better bargains out there.  

Please explain what might happen. Except for the mutant my rounds looked professionally done.

That is the problem it looks professionally done but is it?  No one can tell how many times brass has been reloaded and to what type of power factor.  Is it safe, or is it about to fail?  Does FM know or care how many times that brass they buy back has been reloaded?  What QC is in place for weeding out marginal brass?

General question: I can't be bothered but so many other people reload, including you. We have a forum dedicated to it. If you wouldn't use reloads someone else did, are you suggesting reloading is dangerous? IOW if you discourage us from shooting others' reloads, shouldn't you be discouraging reloading in general?

Reloading in basically a safe process if all safety concerns, procedures are followed.  If you cannot be sure that all safety practices have been followed are you willing to put 25,000-60,000 psi up to your face and fingers and pull the trigger?  I reload and I shoot reloads, mine and "others". But I know :"others" practices and procedures and work ethic and for that I am willing to put my trust in their work.  Can a bad thing happen? Yes, it"s a risk level I can tolerate.  

Another poster stated it wasn't worth the few pennies per round you save by buying reloads. Can't you say the same for reloading in general?

Reloading is done for many reasons.  Some are more important that others to some reloaders, but "saving money" is not the priority to most.  It is creating the best combination of all components, firearm included, to achieve the highest level of proficiency for the discipline you participate in.  If saving money is the main objective, it can be done,  What is your time worth?  Did you know there is a 11% federal excise tax on all new brass and manufactured ammo?  Hell I nave been told to "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" for years.  Let's just say I'm doing my part.

• Like 1

I've shot thousands of FM 9mm rounds. Only had one bad round. The bullet was pushed too far down in the shell. Just a few hundred .223s. My RO showed me the issue with them he didn't like (he reloads) It was just the lip of the casing had a bur all the way around them. They all fed and fired well.I'm not going to was with them. Just poking holes in paper. I have more issues with their 22s. The C1 .22LRs I bet I get 5 or 6 FTF out of 50.. But I got them when you couldn't get any CCIs. Just trying to shoot thru all I got of them. 

So in a nutshell it's inadvisable to shoot reloads unless you're 100% sure of the reloader's quality practices. Sounds reasonable.

How would someone not know about a squib round? The sound, the recoil, the target...?

If your round doesn't go off, you should probably inspect it..... assuming "bad primer" vs no charge is pretty stupid.... its not hard to figure out there is a bullet in the barrel when the round fails to ignite yet when inspected is actually missing the bullet.

I nearly shit my pants the first time i fired a reload.... it went bang and worked. Since every round there after was meticulously created, i was more comfortable shooting my reloads then cheapo ammo.