Sig226GuyNJ

Where to file on Dawson Front Sight?

Hey guys. So I'm going to take a stab at installing a dovetail front sight myself. Here's my question though. I've seen people say to file on the bottom of the base of the dovetail only. Others say I need to file the angled edge in front of the sight. Others say I'll need to file both the bottom of the base and the angled edge in front of the sight. So my question is, which one is correct?

All of my handguns wear Dawson front and blacked out rear sights. I have always filed the bottom of the sight first. I can only remember 1 that needed the the front edge cut down A very little. That was My S&W Shield.

Take your time and check the fit as you go. Plus I always do the final assembly with red loc tite.

Dawson has videos for installation of all their sights. Use their methods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk

The above Dawson video should give you everything, if not give them a phone call and they will answer any questions - their support is excellent.

I've watched that vid at least ten times. The reason for my questioning is that a very knowledgeable gunsmith told me to only file the bottom. I also called Dawson and was told never file the bottom unless there is a gap between the bottom of the sight and top of the slide and to only file the front angle. I keep getting different answers, hence my asking here. I guess I'll just file as necessary and cross my fingers.

If you take too much off the bottom, you run the risk of the bottom of the sight "pulling" across the top of your slide and scraping it up pretty good.

I have about .003 inches between the top of my slide the the bottom of the sight (The part that holds the fiber optic piece), not talking about the bottom of the dovetail.

I just installed a Dawson front sight and filed the front edge of the dovetail on the same angle.  just go SLOW, test fit often!!

What is it going on?

• Like 1

If you take too much off the bottom, you run the risk of the bottom of the sight "pulling" across the top of your slide and scraping it up pretty good.

I have about .003 inches between the top of my slide the the bottom of the sight (The part that holds the fiber optic piece), not talking about the bottom of the dovetail.

I just installed a Dawson front sight and filed the front edge of the dovetail on the same angle.  just go SLOW, test fit often!!

What is it going on?

This is what Michael at Dawson told me to do and what I'll end up doing. I don't think the bottom will need to be filed at all. It's going on a M&P9 Pro.

The gunsmith that gave you that advice is in error. When you touch the bottom of the site you are actually affecting the size of the sight in two directions, both front to back and bottom to top. Getting that right is a lot harder. When you work on one edge you are only affecting one dimension.

• Like 1

Now this guy is saying to file from the bottom. Geez.... So many different opinions.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0511.htm

"To compensate for sloppy tolerances in the dovetail cuts of many slides out there, most manufacturers actually machine their sights a little larger than the measurements stated on the package.  For example, the Lightning Rod sights we manufacture that are listed as 0.330 wide are actually 0.335 wide.  This means you may have to cut the sight back a little to fit in the dovetail. We want the sight to fit tight, not loose.  The easiest way to fit the oversize sight is to file or sand a little material off the bottom of the sight. This will have the effect of bringing both sides of the dovetail in a little.  I recommend this method rather than trying to file material off the sides of the dovetail because it is hard to match the angle and take even amounts of material off the sides.  Be careful to keep the bottom of the sight square as you file."

I'm not sure why you are confused, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. They went out of the way to make you video. What Brazo's do as gunsmiths is their issue because if they mess it up they take another one off the shelf, but Dawson's sells more sights then probably anyone else so go with what they recommend. 

I'm not sure why you are confused, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. They went out of the way to make you video. What Brazo's do as gunsmiths is their issue because if they mess it up they take another one off the shelf, but Dawson's sells more sights then probably anyone else so go with what they recommend. 

I'm confused b/c Dawson's video shows filing both spots, but speaking with one of their employees I'm told to file only on the angled part of the dove tail. But I'm going to go with only filing the angled portion.

It's easy.

1. Measure the depth of the dovetail and the height of the bottom part of the sight that fits in the dovetail. If the sight is taller than the slot, sand a little off the bottom until it is a couple of thousandths shorter than the dovetail.

2. Test fit the sight. It will be too big.

3. Using a triangular file (ideal if you have one with a safe side) to take a little material from one of the angled surfaces of the sight. Keep it parallel to the original cut of the sight.

4. Test fit again.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 until it fits snugly.

6. Remove sight and refit with loktite.

7. Center sight using calipers.

8. Tighten grub screw if there is one with loktite.

I don't usually glue a rear sight in just in case I need to drift it one way or another but I go really slowly with removing material and the sight is very unlikely to move as it fits in the dovetail so tightly. Front sights get glue.

• Like 1