Bully

Single Action 44mag vs. Double Action---Any Suggestions?

I sold my only 44 just over a year ago to a friend.  I kinda want another one.  I have a bunch of ammo I loaded up for it (I don't generally feel comfortable selling handloads) that need to be used up.  

Originally I had myself convinced that I wanted a DA revo with a short barrel.  Something akin to a Ruger Alaskan.  And, as fun as that may be it's usefulness is relatively suspect.  I don't see myself hiking in bear laden woods alone any time soon.  And I would most likely never consider putting it in the drawer for HD.  It would be a very pricey plinker.  

I'm now at the point that I want something with a 4-7" barrel,   Something that I could use if I ever get down to Fla to pig hunt.  I'm betwixt and between a Vaquero and the Redhawk right now but could be convinced to go another way.  I would consider a Blackhawk as well, and possibly a S&W but I 'd love to add a Ruger to the safe for something different.  

Uses would be mostly a range toy/trying to hit steel at 50yds consistently.  Hopefully/possibly pig hunting in Fla.  Something to putz around with load development.  

Any suggestions?  Thoughts?  If you have something I should consider and want to post a pic, please do so.  We all love pics around here.  

Thanks.

Only a distributor exclusive in the 44 class for Ruger Vaquero.

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/10596.html

Short barrel, birdshead grip, 44mag...  no thanks.  I should have mentioned that it's the one I'm not interested in.  Ruger used to make the Vaquero in 44mag with the plow handle grip.  There are a few on GB.  Unfortunately most sellers think they are holding onto gold.  I'll keep at it.  

I had the similar thoughts when I bought my first and still only 44 mag handgun. I bought a Redhawk 7 1/2 inch. The only options at that time were 5 1/2 & 7 1/2. I figured either the Super Blackhawk or Redhawk could be fired SA but only the Redhawk DA. My focus was as a range and SD gun so the SA got disqualified soon.

I shoot a lot of 240 gr swc at about 1100 fps from the gun DA. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a SD gun like that. It is really big for a carry gun and when I have its with a shoulder holster.

I've had the gun for 30 years. No issues at all. The only thing that's happened is the trigger got very smooth. Thats just from shooting no action job needed IMO.

Just my opinion.

I am usually a S&W guy when it comes to revolvers, the exception is Ruger for 44 Magnum.  They build seriously strong 44's.  I have two Super Blackhawks in 44 Magnum and will be using the 7 1/2" one for deer this year in VA.  I have also used it for hog.  Exceptional hunting handgun.

I know it's against everything you said but I not so secretly want a charter arms bulldog in 44. My buddy has a 29 and it's a pretty bad ass gun as well

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

The Charter is 44special.  Can't shoot the longer 44mag round.  

I know it's against everything you said but I not so secretly want a charter arms bulldog in 44. My buddy has a 29 and it's a pretty bad ass gun as well

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

The Charter is 44special.  Can't shoot the longer 44mag round.

I digress. You will kill a Charter 44 quickly with warm 44 loads. Soft loads (nothing hotter than factory) will not hurt the gun. At least it hasn't the one I have for the past 30 years or so.

I sold my only 44 just over a year ago to a friend.  I kinda want another one.  I have a bunch of ammo I loaded up for it (I don't generally feel comfortable selling handloads) that need to be used up.  

Originally I had myself convinced that I wanted a DA revo with a short barrel.  Something akin to a Ruger Alaskan.  And, as fun as that may be it's usefulness is relatively suspect.  I don't see myself hiking in bear laden woods alone any time soon.  And I would most likely never consider putting it in the drawer for HD.  It would be a very pricey plinker.  

I'm now at the point that I want something with a 4-7" barrel,   Something that I could use if I ever get down to Fla to pig hunt.  I'm betwixt and between a Vaquero and the Redhawk right now but could be convinced to go another way.  I would consider a Blackhawk as well, and possibly a S&W but I 'd love to add a Ruger to the safe for something different.  

Uses would be mostly a range toy/trying to hit steel at 50yds consistently.  Hopefully/possibly pig hunting in Fla.  Something to putz around with load development.  

Any suggestions?  Thoughts?  If you have something I should consider and want to post a pic, please do so.  We all love pics around here.  

Thanks.

If you get an Alaskan Gemini customs will Hybriport it for a good price to make it controllable.  I do a bit of pig shooting when I'm at my home in FL but I carry a Glock 20SF Gen 3 with lot's of hot 10mm in it.  

If you get an Alaskan Gemini customs will Hybriport it for a good price to make it controllable.  I do a bit of pig shooting when I'm at my home in FL but I carry a Glock 20SF Gen 3 with lot's of hot 10mm in it.  

I'm hoping to buy something and leave it be.  The Gemini stuff is awesome but not in my line of sight at this time.

C

I put in for permission slips yesterday.

I found a stainless Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel. Gonna give it a go. I'll report back of it comes to fruition.

C - I feel so strongly about it that if you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands.

• Like 1