YankeeSC

Competition belts

I am looking to get into IDPA/USPSA competitions involving both handgun only and multi-gun events.  My understanding is that IDPA has a requirement that the belt be through the pant loop, while USPSA and others do not have this requirement and thus allow duty type belts.  Correct?

Something like the Safariland model 032 belt looks interesting to me because of the modularity and locking connectors, but that obviously wouldn't work for IDPA, and being able to attach accessories (mag holders) would have different needs (loop for IDPA vs locks). 

For those of you that shoot the multiple disciplines, how do you handle this?  Multiple belts and attachments types specialized for each sport?  Duty type belt that can use the loop attachments, so you have the same mag attachments for both sports?  What gear do you guys use and why?

Thanks!

Ok. 

1) USPA requires the belt or an underbelt to go through two belt loops. Duty belts are no go unless you are in the LEO category. 

2) for 3 gun, ELS is the thing. There really isn't much beating it for reconfiguring to match the needs of the stage/match. 

The price difference and performance difference between CR speed and ELS isn't that big. I'd go ELS if buying now, and that's form someone who owns 3 CR speed belt rigs. I ahve now converted to one ELS rig that can be reconfigured and takes the place of my old 3 gun rig and my 2 of my 3 CR speed rigs. It'll do all 4 once I get more forks, but it adds up so I am buying in chunks. 

• Like 1

Do you mean IDPA?

He means USPSA. Even in USPSA you your belt needs to pass through your belt loops or be attached to it in some manner. Some duty belts just ride on your hips cowboy style with no attachment to the body. Inside/outside belts like the CRspeed, ELS, etc, are considered ok as the inner belt passes through the belt loops and the outer belt attaches to the inside belt.   Using a duty belt with belt keepers attached to the real belt works as well.